THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Beautiful pedestal mounts...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beautiful pedestal mounts...
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
I am a big fan of pedestal mounts. I thought I would share some pictures of some of the nicest ones I have seen. I would love to repeat the zebra mount myself, but I will have to make another trip for an old stallion.

-

-

-

To give all credit where credit is due, I scanned all of these pictures from Artworks Taxidermy Inc.'s brochure. I don't know anything about them, except that they are from Englewood Co.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my mind all made up to have a zebra rug made. Now Im not so sure. After seeing that pedestal I will really have to think it over again. That is really sharp!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Wow! These are all beautiful! [Big Grin] ~Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PWN>
posted
They sure as hell were not done by most of the hacks that practice the trade in RSA. Simon and Phillip wouldn't know what the hell you meant by pedestal mount, much less be able to do one unless it looked exactly like a B rated shoulder mount setting on a stand.

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to rain on the parade... but the Zebra and Sable don't carry their heads that way at all!
Gorgeous Mounts? Yes
Natural Pose? No!

To me both mounts look like Really framed-up Dressage horses
 -

not relaxed wildlife
 -

Now I realize there might be space considerations but.... Just my 2 cents

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I feel the same way about the Sable but still think it is a beautiful mount.

The zebra pose is not what one might look like most of the time, but it is representative of a herd stallion rearing up, particularly in defense of its mares against another stallion. I think that's why I like that one so much, and why it is important that it be a big old stallion. Notice that the one in the picture has a ragged ear and looks like he has been in a few battles. You could argue that the teeth should be bared, but that would be a minor detail to me. I just like that chess piece pose.

The leopard would be cooler if it was coming out of the crotch of a tree, but I sure love that pose.

[Smile] Canuck

[ 08-22-2002, 21:21: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok Canuck,
I'll buy the fighting stallion pose ... How about adding the both front legs?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That would be very cool! Would definately add a few $$'s to the mount though.

[Smile] Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm also a big fan of pedestals. Can you share the costs for these 3 mounts?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the mounts at the Taxidermist that we have choosen. I too was set on a Zebra rug. He also does them with a half skull and ears in place. This makes for a very stunning rug.

After viewing his pedestal mounts of Zebra, I think that I have changed my mind. They are very stunning. I feel that I will have a ped. mount done, the remainder of the skin turned into an oval rug and the leg skins made into beverage holders, coasters, etc. If I take a stallion, I will have the scrotum made into holders also. I saw this with a Buffs. sack and it was unique to say the least. Not everyone at the "Club" will have one!!

I am also going to have my Buff done on a pedestal. I can get more of an "action" pose with that set-up.

A lot of good poses to think about.

Cheers,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yukon delta,

These are not my mounts. As I mentioned above I just scanned them from a brochure because I like them so much.

The prices from the brochure, however, (you may want to be sitting down for this) are $2800 USD for the Zebra pedestal, $1800 USD for the leopard pedestal and $3000 USD for the sable pedestal. The pedestal is not included in the price!

[Smile] Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the leopard is my favorite of the three! He just needs a full mount impala across the room as a prey animal [Wink]

I have two zebra rugs already so I am thinking about a unique pair of pedestal mounts for the next ones. I was actually thinking of a small two or three layer round pedestal base that actually looked like the base of a chess piece with the zebra attached to that base as though he were, in fact, a chess piece. It would be shorter pedestal mount but nice on the sides of a fireplace or something.

JohnTheGreek

[ 08-23-2002, 23:08: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, I know ther is nothing "natural" about the mount but I still like the way it looks. However, after seeing the pricetag from Canuck I do believe Ill stick with my original plan! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want natural, take a picture and let him walk. How do you figure any shoulder mount is natural? I haven't seen any legless game animals yet in the field?

It is all in your head, so if your head likes pedestal mounts, more power to it. If it likes a natural carrying position, that is fine, too. You're paying the bill and hopefully will get a mount that is pleasing to you.

That zebra looks like a chess piece, no doubt. Wonder what a set would look like, perhaps Impalas for pawns, a Gemsbok for the rook, Kudu for Bishop, and an elephant for the queen. And, of course, a lion for the king. Although I could be persuaded to use a buffalo for the Bishop.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Everybodys taste is different but thats OK! I wasn't implying bad just not natural to me. As to the shoulder, yes it isn't natural either but most of us can't afford and don't have the space for a full body mount, so the shoulder is the "next best thing".

As to the chess set, That would be too cool but where would the warthog go? You have got to have a pair of them!

[ 08-24-2002, 01:50: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amosgreg:
Mike,

As to the chess set, That would be too cool but where would the warthog go? You have got to have a pair of them!

Why..the warthogs would be the pawns.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The chess set concept is just too cool. But, talk about a space requirement! [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

I can hear it now . . . "Hello, Bromley Gameskin, yes I just shot a cow elephant and was thinking about making it into a pedestal mount so it could serve as the Queen in my chess set . . . .click . . . Hello? HELLO?" [Smile]

regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people have no imagination......LOL

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
OK, I guess I'll jump in here on this one.

The difference that Atworks is portraying between their work and a "dead animal on the wall" is simply art. Looking at the mounts above, each has an elegance to it that is not captured in a wall shoulder mount.

When you look at paintings or sculptures of wildlife have you ever noticed how perfect the composition is? Rarely does that happen in the real world. The "artistic license" of the creator of the piece allows them to show a perfectness that doesn't just happen.

The zebra above could be rearing up in a fight. The sable could have almost stepped on a snake and reared up and pulled his head down.

To be convincing, the artist must first meet the anatomical correctness of the animal. Secondly, the positioning must be within the ability of the animal. If those two are met, you throw in artistic composition and the client will end up with a mount that can be breathtaking. In any piece that really captures your attention, the display must tell a story. It may be an open ended story where the viewer must fill in some details, but invariably there will be a sense of action to the mount. This is just not found in a "dead animal on the wall".

Artworks is definitely a high end wildlife art taxidermist and their prices show this. But don't count out local taxidermists that can do similar pieces. Since they don't have the name recognition their prices will be considerably lower.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, thanks for the photos. You have given me a relapse of psd. I'am waiting of my pedestal zebra's. Yes two of them on the same pedestal, Should be awsome. Supposed to be delivered in about 4 weeks.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote