New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nine Months and Waiting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been 9 months since I dropped off my buff horns and cape at Jonas Bros and I was told it would be another 60 days.

A month and a half ago, I was told it would be ready in a month and a half.

I have always loved the work Jonas Bros (Denver) has done, but at my age, I might not be around along enough to see my trophy, which was killed in September 2016.

I might try someone different next time.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have figured out that the time from dead in Africa to hanging on the wall will average 2 years. Of course a few folks here will post that they got their stuff up in a year but that is the exception to the rule. I never bring anything home anymore due to lack of wall space but I also don’t buy green bananas. As you age there are no longevity guarantees.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that Jonas was sold again . Check it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again? I know they got bought back in 2016 and moved to a new location early this year. In September of 2016 they still had most of the old staff, as far as I could tell.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffhunter, no disrespect intended,but here goes, but I had to chuckle when I heard "9 months and counting". In my experience, the first few times you deal with taxidermists, you get a turnaround time that is in line with your expectations. After they have dealt with you a few times, they will shift that quick turnaround time to other new clients, leaving you to wait increasing times to get your animals back. The only way to avoid this is to let them know that you are coming to get your animals back if they they don't get them done, and soon. If they don't, then you have to find another taxidermist. It's that simple.

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Most taxidermists that do quality work are very busy. Thus the turnaround time can be lengthy.
You have to pick through the ones that honestly work to fulfill the workload and those that don't.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have to pick through the ones that honestly work to fulfill the workload and those that don't.

That is a true statement!

Quite a lot of taxidermists only work when they are broke........you pay a deposit then wait two years for your work. They get broke and decide to knock out some work and call you every day to come pick up your work and pay them, they get indignant if you don't pick it up right then.

I am using this fine fella from Abilene now, not only is he a great taxidermist he is a punctual businessman as well. I really value the relationship.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

That is a true statement!

Quite a lot of taxidermists only work when they are broke........you pay a deposit then wait two years for your work. They get broke and decide to knock out some work and call you every day to come pick up your work and pay them, they get indignant if you don't pick it up right then.

I am using this fine fella from Abilene now, not only is he a great taxidermist he is a punctual businessman as well. I really value the relationship.

Haha exactly! My best friend is a taxidermist. This description fits him to a "T".

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I've been a professional taxidermist for 60 years and have decided this will be my last. One of the reasons is just what remarks I see in these last few postings. I'm not sure who's dumber: taxidermists or their customers. Right now I'm still siding with the taxidermists.
Taxidermy is dying slowly but surely. The millennials and the PC culture are surely to blame but the ignorance of what's required in doing it has also taken its toll.

Neophytes assure themselves there's a fortune to be made doing it. It usually takes about 3 years for these guys to wise up and quit. Most of them start by undercutting the prices of others. This brings the price shoppers to his door and it's easy to promise 90 days and get away with it. HOWEVER, if he's a true craftsman with a bit of artistry, his reputation grows outside those corridors and he finds himself being swamped. After all you can only do one deer at a time and even though your customer is sure that his is the only one you have, you should finish it in a week. When you go from 10 to 50 customers, it all changes. Your only controls become increasing turn-arounds and pricing. When you increase pricing, the low ballers fall away.
Here' a breakdown of what I charge in my shop today. I charge you $550 and I ask for a $200 deposit before I start work. I then order the supplies that are basic necessity to getting your work done (forms, eyes, earliners, glue, and clay). Though I may order many in bulk to get discounts and to have as shop stock, I've just invested the whole deposit in your deer. Then I have to prep the hide by fleshing (something many of you don't have a clue as to what it entails), salting, and drying. Then I have to take it to the shipper and send it out to be professionally tanned. The tanneries charge between $40 -60 for just the tanning but I pay shipping both ways. I'm dependent on the tannery now before I start work. During the peak of their seasons (hunting seasons), I may have to weight up to 90 days to get it back. When I get it back, I can plan on devoting about 20 hours to your mount. That's mounting it on the form, adjusting it daily for about 2 weeks as it thoroughly dries, and then finishing the work with an airbrush to give it that soft "alive' look. Suddenly I'm recognizing that I've just made a grand total of $15 an hour and I still had to pay the rent, utilities, and transportation to and from the shipper out of my "profit". That's less than $15 and hour with no retirement plan, no medical, and no vacation time. Certainly never close to a 40 hour work week while you're out enjoying time with your family or hunting, fishing, golfing, or whatever you like to do. Yet I've got a deadline and even though I had you sign a contract agreeing that it would be a year before you got it back, I'm constantly interrupted by you gasoline asses who want your mount back because Joe Blow down the road got his back from the hack down the street in less than 2 months. I tell you to take your deer to that guy and you get indignant. You tell me you bring your deer to me because mine looks better than his. DUH!!! Did you ever wonder why?

The big studios, like Jonas use production line techniques with many employees, in house tanning, and warehouses full of forms (along with very talented guys who can alter those forms into your special request). These businesses have a very high turnover. The work is labor intensive with high demands. I know a dozen fantastic taxidermists who have these high rent places on their resume' but quit due to the increasing stress. Once on member leaves that team, the workload increases.

Africrap as I call it also takes one year. Pricing is not gentle either. If you can afford to go to Africa, the last thing you should be doing is bitching about either the cost or the time. Remember, I'm working a year behind when you walk in the door. I have as of yet to get any African hide back that was in condition to mount. All the forms are going to need altering and though an impala will cost you twice what I charge for an equivalent sized whitetail, I'll end up spending 3 times as much time doing it as a whitetail.

If that silly assed description fits your friend who's your taxidermist, then you need to decide which one he is. I have made a living off of my friends. My enemies take their work to someone else.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
jdollar, my apologies if that sounded counter to what you've said. I can understand exactly what you meant and it's true in my shop as well. Your mount MAY take up to three years or more to get back after you shoot it. I got a Cape buffalo back last fall that had spent the last 5 years in a fight between Zimbabwe, South Africa, and local tribal chieftans as to what compensations were require. I got the mount out quickly but the clock still ran almost 6 years.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
George summed it up with some main issues, but the scope in general is much larger & much more depth to the issues.
Way it is.

Signed,

Won't make 60yrs, but close.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
George that was an eye opener! Eeker

My taxidermists is a fairly small outfit, but still gets the same problems you speak of in this business.

That being said I have found the one thing that erks me about this business is the fact that I have found that in most cases I was given a price for the work, and I know how much is due after the work is done, but in almost every case when I go to pick up my mounts there will always be a couple hundred dollars more than I was quoted.

This is why I have quite bringing trophies home. I understand the time involved for good work, but I can't abide the little add-ons that are nothing but ransom to get my mounts, and the fact that I could afford to go to Africa to hunt is not a legitimate reason to gouge my wallet for more. Like you I must save money for a year or so, and drive a car another year or two and deprive my family some what to go on these hunts.

So! As I agree with your plight, of some hunters not understanding your problems, you need to understand that some of us hunters have to save for years to be able to go to Africa to hunt, and the fact that we hunted in Africa doesn't mean we are millionaires, but working stiffs just like you taxidermists!

Never the less, your post was, an eye opener, and I hope mine sheds some light in your mind as well!

....................................................................... old eighty second year of life and counting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, a lot of my stuff hasn’t made it in country in 18 months to 2 years, let alone get the taxidermy complete!

Then again, I’m in no great hurry to get it back as I don’t have a proper trophy room sorted out yet. A few here and there, with some in the living room and den.

Full mount lion is a bit large... but you see him and smile every time I turn on the TV!

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was an illuminating post, George Roof, and you were right on many counts. I won't comment on the relative intelligence of taxidermists vs customers, as I have known several who are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I think what most customers want is an accurate estimate of turnaround time, and timely response to inquiries. I have had one taxidermist go "dark" as the promised turnaround time drew near, not returning calls for months, then frantically bullshitting his way through the conversation when finally confronted. This person is well known in your profession, and to many on this site. What taxidermy needs is a standard of business where customers receive what they pay for when the product is promised. In return, the honest taxidermists among you need to get paid adequately and on time for the work you do.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Mac, I couldn't agree more. NOTHING irks me like "hidden costs". Reputable and ethical taxidermists are going to give you a quote on their contract and stick to it. Now I will say that if you later decide to add on, then that's going to cost you. I get people in who tell me they want a deer shoulder mount. Three months later they tell me they've changed their mind (I already have the supplies bought by this time). Additionally they want a wall pedestal mount with an open mouth. Wall pedestals are $100 extra and open mouths are $250 extra. I usually eat the form they requested as surely someone else will come in wanting that size and pose UNLESS it's a weird deer to begin with or I have already begun work and altered the original form. in all my years I've never tried to gouge a customer with crap like you spoke of.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless whether it's a taxidermist, gun smith, or house painter, you should be able to get a reasonable expectation of when the job will be done and what it's gonna cost. If it's gonna run over, someone needs to be on the phone explaining why.
I also believe some of the problems are from wanting to "stockpile" work so someone else can't get it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Jonas (I checked in yesterday), the buff is mounted and needs another 2-3 weeks "drying" time.

Interestingly, I have had all of my work done by Jonas over the last 30 years and they have always been pretty close to the 6 months turnaround, no additional costs, and excellent workmanship.

I will let you know how the new owners stand up to Jonas' previous work.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Mac, I couldn't agree more. NOTHING irks me like "hidden costs". Reputable and ethical taxidermists are going to give you a quote on their contract and stick to it. Now I will say that if you later decide to add on, then that's going to cost you. I get people in who tell me they want a deer shoulder mount. Three months later they tell me they've changed their mind (I already have the supplies bought by this time). Additionally they want a wall pedestal mount with an open mouth. Wall pedestals are $100 extra and open mouths are $250 extra. I usually eat the form they requested as surely someone else will come in wanting that size and pose UNLESS it's a weird deer to begin with or I have already begun work and altered the original form. in all my years I've never tried to gouge a customer with crap like you spoke of.

I have never been asked to pay more than the quote.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my buff shoulder mount this morning and I could not be happier. The taxidermist at Jonas Bros. (a young lady named Ashley) did a fantastic job.

The details on the face and neck are incredible. I was almost expecting him to swallow while looking at the neck and throat areas.

Although Jonas Bros. has had two different owners last year, apparently most of the actual worker bees (i.e. the taxidermists) are old veterans and extremely talented young people.

I have had 3 buff shoulder mounts, an elk shoulder mount, a bear rug, and a pair of elephant tusks done at Jonas, and the mount I picked up today is the best quality yet.

The only problem with their new location is there is not a lot of parking (most spots are taken by the employees), but other than that they are still turning out world class taxidermy.

BH63

BTW, Absolutely no extra fees. I paid half when I made my order and half today, when I picked up the trophy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am happy Jonas Bros came through for you and I'm sure they will for everyone else that is waiting . They have always been a great company to do business with. Who are the owners now ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't remember their names, but I believe it is on their website.

This mount certainly has more detail and definition than the previous two buff mounts I have had done at Jonas.

Certainly worth the money and the wait.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My former long term taxidermist was out to 2 years on my mounts.When I returned from my 1st safari back in 1996 he is promising one year.I gave him an impala,16 months later I walked in & took the mount off the wall as it only had the horns attached.My point is I cut my losses.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
99% of all problems with late deliveries are due to poor communications.

Just tell me when you think that it will be done and if there is a delay let me know (before the original due date) about it and when you think it will be done.

That's all it takes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist is not quick.

He is not the cheapest.

But, he does quality work.

There is no taxidermist alive that is cheap, does quality work, and is fast.

If you do find one, he will be out if business soon

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
My taxidermist is not quick.

He is not the cheapest.

But, he does quality work.

There is no taxidermist alive that is cheap, does quality work, and is fast.

If you do find one, he will be out if business soon

This is not always true. Mine gets all my clients work out in 6 months or less. Been doing it that way for 25 yrs Does great work as well and his prices are cheap to cheap IMHO. Problem is most take in more than they can do and don't spend enough time in the shop.

Posts: 603 | Registered: 16 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Problem is most take in more than they can do and don't spend enough time in the shop.

Understatement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NTO
We need photos of this quick,cheap, 6months delivery, "quality work" taxidermists products.
A industry that has never and still doesn't have any "standards of work" , where you can get a deer head mounted from $450.00 to $900.00 , a fish mounted from $10.00 a inch to $36.00 a inch and where the average customer don't know good from bad . Who knows what is quality work and what isn't ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get some pics of stuff hanging on my wall. He does around 150-200 heads a yr for me plus 50 or so African heads of mine. I am not saying he is the norm just saying it can be done. He is also a 1 man shop so quality control is not a problem.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
NTO, now you'll just have to excuse curmudgeons like me and Ricardo, but this ain't exactly our first rodeo

This cannot possibly be a one man operation who gets all those glowing terms on a consistent basis. Been there, done that. Took in 150 one year and had to contact clients to explain how it would be longer than the one year promised and turned away customers who were wanting to come in that season. One person can only do so much in the course of a day. For 100 mounts to be done in a year, that means they have to turn out at least one a day or better. After all, it took a few days to cape the animals out and tan them. If they sent them to a tannery, the best they could hope for was a 90 turnaround which costs extra and then there's the time salting the hides down and shipping them. If he's sending raw, uncapped animals out, then the "express" shipping is going to eat up any profits.
I know of several guys who will mount 2-3 deer heads a day, but a raw hide on a glued form is going to take constant monitoring to keep that skin in place. Pins and carding help but only go so far. If those hides are "dry preserved" as many people do, all the pins in the world won't hold that hide in place. Either way, a mounted deer will take 2-4 weeks to dry so that it can be "finished" with epoxies and an airbrush.

To turn out work consistently, there are a few rules:
1. NEVER GET SICK. You can't afford to be out of the shop.

2. Forget about family vacations, holidays and special events. Refer to #1.

3. Keep meticulous books and cross-check everything. If you mount the wrong skin on the form, someone may notice. If you mount it in the wrong position, they will definitely notice. If you can't do it exactly right the first time, when are you going to find time to remount it correctly?

4. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SIGNIFICANT OTHER who has a good paying job with family health coverage. Your payday will be hit and miss. The guy who's bugged you for weeks about his deer is the same guy who's "a little tight on money and I'll have to catch you next month".

5. NEVER, EVER, accept specimen that aren't in the primest condition possible. If you do, you're going to be badmouthed. Little Johnny's first mallard may have been full of pinfeathers, or Bubba may have some ATV tire marks burned into the hide when you get it, but when their family shows up to gawk at the animal, that spot is because of a crappy taxidermist who wasn't good enough to repair that damage.

The list is much longer but if you can survive those 5, you'll teach yourself resiliency - or you'll quit in 3 years like most of them do.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree he does 1 if not 2 heads per day. I have seen times where he picked up 10 or more head and will not call it a day till they are caped fleshed and salted ready to ship to tannery. He has done it almost 30 yrs now and is going to retire because he has worked himself all these yrs.
I have been in the hunting business for 25 yrs and find a good taxidermist is not easy at all. IMHO they should get it out the door in 8-10 months and do quality work day in and day out & normal deer size shoulder mounts be around $500.
But I hear the horror stories all the time.

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
quote:
normal deer size shoulder mounts be around $500.

Ha! Expenses eat that up!!!!!
You working in a hollow stump.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got my latest buff mount on the wall. The thing is heavy! I was able to hang my other two buff shoulder mounts by myself, but with this one, it took me and my son (who is in excellent shape).

Even with him, it was a struggle.

I just hope the anchor holds.

Looks great though. I have 3 shoulder mounts of buffs bracketed by ellie tusks (almost 60 lbs each) hanging on a brick wall with the fireplace in the center.

Now what to do with my 6x7 elk shoulder mount??

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PICTUREs, PICTRES, PICTURES. Where are the photos? Would like to see the mount and your wall. Thanks.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished putting up my re-located elk mount, so I will take a picture and try to figure out how to post it on AR.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Taxidermists, gunsmiths, mechanics and technicians all operate similar. They can do it Fast, Cheap or Good. The Customer can pick one and he will not get the other two.

Safe shooting.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all should have my taxidermist. He takes a very long time. These time frames are nothing. His work is outstanding.

Posts: 11910 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hannay.

All the work (as well as a bearskin rug and an elk mount) were done by Jonas Bros over a period of about 20 years.

Their work is first rate, but they do take at least 6 months to a year.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I've used exactly three taxidermists in the last 35 years. One guy in AK took a very very long time but the sheep and blacktail were excellent and still look great. Jerry Huffaker did a beautiful zebra rug for me that has held up incredible well right on the floor in a high traffic area. He also did a life size turkey that has been disassembled and reassembled several times as we've moved and still looks great. Atcheson Taxidermy has done the majority of my work and I have about 100 mounts in the house that they've done. I've had no real complaints of any kind with these guys.

The point of this is do some research and you won't have a bunch of problems. If you take your trophies to the local guy that works out of his garage part time or a big factory operation you're probably going to have issues. Call around and talk to some of these guys and get references just like if you were booking a hunt. Why spend a shitload on a hunt and then try to cheap out on the taxidermy?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a full time taxidermist myself ,I sure enjoyed reading all the hate statements about all us no good ,dirty, piece of trash, and let's not forget lazy taxidermists.

I am a one man operation. Yes I do quality work at great prices, and I turn out around 185- 220 mounts a year. But, my average turn around time is close to two years .
This turn around is excessive, right?
Well, I work 10- 18hr days for weeks on end with barely any sleep. Skin ,flesh ,and tan all my own work, make all my bear manikins from scratch and sweep the floors when I get a chance. All for around 35,000 on a good year.
Turn around times are dependant on how many animals come in that need special attention to damaged capes , and frankly, to how many come in after yours is dropped off. They all need skinning and caping of some sort, and that time varies by the animals and their condition.
Taxidermists get sick on occasion, and generally have lives to deal with, how ever meager they may be. Car break downs, yards to mow, general home and shop maintenance, etc.......

A pick up time is as best a guess as can be given to someone with a 1-2 year out at best turn around time. There could be three months added to the wait just because of high volume phone activity.
I am going back to part time taxidermy and part time anything else.
Maybe then I will only feel like a failier and a dumbass just part of the time.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote