THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Value of Hartmann's Mountain zebra skin?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Hartmann's Mountain zebra skin?
 Login/Join

posted
About 11 years ago I traveled to Namibia where I hunted a wide variety of native game. On my last day I culled a large, 18 year old male Hartmann's Mountain Zebra. He was skinned immediately and then tanned and sewn (no backing or felt) into a skin/rug. For 10 years he's been draped over a couch while various dogs and cats have enjoyed lying on him and (unfortunately) occasionally nibbling on some edges.

Overall I'd say he was in mid-B to C condition - coloring is a striking tannish (almost like the Namibian sand) and of course white and black.

Some slight ragged edging on one side of the face, a small hole near a haunch that I'm sure could be repaired, and of course the two stitched areas where the entry/exit wound from the .30-06 round. Other stitching areas seen on the backside of the hide from where he was made into the skin/rug.

Dimensions are:

Length from tip of tail to snout: 10 ft, 4 inches

Tail itself is 24 inches long

Width from the rear leg to rear leg is 72 inches

Width from front leg to front leg is 68 inches

Pictures are on a king sized bed for comparison

Wondering what a reasonable price to ask for this? We are downsizing and just can't keep it around anymore. I'm sure with a little TLC and a good cleaning it would really shine, and given that you don't see many Hartmann's zebra skins on the market I've got to imagine it might have some value.

Thank you.

Link to lots of pics:

https://www.taxidermy.net/thre...424756/#post-2763993

posted Hide Post
Hmm, so doing some more research it appears that I cannot sell it. Individual hunters can bring them in for their own personal use, but selling it is illegal? Anyone got any more information on this? I have all my CITES and import paperwork and it passed customs, but apparently re-selling isn't allowed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to sell with that kind of damage but I'd say perhaps $350. In fresh new condition about $700 to $1000 based on the ones Ive seen sold, mostly at SCI, and everything at SCI is higher than the market value..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They sell all the time, I think you can sell any legally taken game mount, even those on the endangered list if documented, Ivory may the only exception, it changes all the time. Hell the bars, sporting goods, etc are full of them..They are auctioned off all over the states, and horns are sold daily in the US..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote