THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM


Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cracking Zebra Skin Rug
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted
I had a zebra tanned here in TZ in 2018, but now one part of the rug appears to be dried out and cracking/falling apart. I am not sure if this is from the prep or the tanning. Is there any way I can prevent it from getting worse? I was thinking about trying to glue some sort of backing to it, although I am not sure what type of glue to use, or if that would work. Any ideas?


-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did it get wet? I have one that is just about ready to throw away. Luckily I have two others in my TR and two more in the garage.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7287 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Did it get wet? I have one that is just about ready to throw away. Luckily I have two others in my TR and two more in the garage.


Yes, we had some flooding. The whole thing got soaked, but only one part is cracking now?


-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Did it get wet? I have one that is just about ready to throw away. Luckily I have two others in my TR and two more in the garage.


Yes, we had some flooding. The whole thing got soaked, but only one part is cracking now?


Mine is completely falling apart. Lots of guys think tanned capes etc last forever but my taxidermist told me older tanned capes fall apart when rewet to mount; I imagine the same is true for tanned skins.

Perhaps a taxidermist can comment?


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7287 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Older or poorly tanned rugs/skins can be repaired if needed.
Check the supplier link. You can order by phone, one gallon units.
Cut squares of cheese cloth & saturate with this product using a brush & layout on leather side, overlapping the squares, such as laminating fiberglass. Let dry.



https://www.tearmender.com/home
 
Posts: 258 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobody2:
Older or poorly tanned rugs/skins can be repaired if needed.
Check the supplier link. You can order by phone, one gallon units.
Cut squares of cheese cloth & saturate with this product using a brush & layout on leather side, overlapping the squares, such as laminating fiberglass. Let dry.



https://www.tearmender.com/home


Excellent, thanks. Unfortunately I can't get this in TZ, but I'll get during my next trip stateside, although who knows when that will be.


-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I do not mounts or rugs.

I take good pictures either sell or give the rest away.
 
Posts: 16045 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
One of the reasons I do not mounts or rugs.

I take good pictures either sell or give the rest away.


One of? Not a big one; one zebra rug falling apart out of over 50 mounted heads, skins, etc...not a big deal.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7287 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
One of the reasons I do not mounts or rugs.

I take good pictures either sell or give the rest away.


One of? Not a big one; one zebra rug falling apart out of over 50 mounted heads, skins, etc...not a big deal.


I think that he is referring to the upkeep and the care that mounts and skins require.

P Dog and I have similar thoughts on this I would guess. Its just not the reason we hunt.

I do have a lot of European mounts though. But none of them are displayed. I can't quite explain that.


Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."
_______________________

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the
punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown
 
Posts: 5652 | Location: The North Slope, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rug getting soaking wet was what killed it. Sadie decided she was going to wash a zebra rug we had. Once it was washed and rinsed we laid it out in the sun to dry. It was totally wrecked after that. Moral of the story is do not wash your zebra rug or otherwise get it soaking wet.

Mark


MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7215 GREAT DOVER ST.
LAS VEGAS, NV 89166
Office 702-848-1693
Cell 307-250-1156
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Website: myexclusiveadventures.com
Skype: markhyhunter
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716
 
Posts: 11684 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
The rug getting soaking wet was what killed it. Sadie decided she was going to wash a zebra rug we had. Once it was washed and rinsed we laid it out in the sun to dry. It was totally wrecked after that. Moral of the story is do not wash your zebra rug or otherwise get it soaking wet.

Mark


It was a flood, definitely not done intentionally. Any idea why some parts are ok and other parts are ruined, given the whole skin was soaked?


-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia