Find
Notify
Tools

Time Frame for Mounting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
How long can a trophy last before it has to see the taxidermist?

I'm going to RSA next year for my first African Safari and from what I've gathered so far my trophies (assuming I'm fortunate enough to aquire some) will take months to arrive back in the USA. I'm hoping to have one trophy done at a time for financial reasons and therefore it may be 2 years or more before the last one sees the taxidermist depending on his schedule. Is this reasonable? If so, how should they be stored to best protect them prior to mounting?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Hi Dennis,

When your hides return from Africa they will be salt dried and rock hard. they will be OK to keep this way for several more months if kept in a cool and dry environment away from any bugs or rodents who might want to gnaw on them.

Ideally, I would suggest that you go ahead and get them tanned. Once turned into leather if you will "soak them up" (your taxidermist will know what this means - if not let me know and I'll explain the way to do it) - and then properly freeze them, they will last indefinitely. If you get them tanned and store them without soaking and freezing, they have a shelf life of about one year.

Good luck on your upcoming safari. Let me know if I can help with more info!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDS gave you some great advice. I agree have the taxidermist send them out to be tanned,tanning will take 3-6 months. Then upon recieving them, they can soak them then drip them and freeze. they will keep in the freezer for a long time. As far as soaking them make sure the taxidermist knows what he is doing, some will let soak for hours which in opinion is very wrong, because the oils the tannery replaces will come out of the hide and into the water, thus removing oils that preserve the cape. I let them soak for ten minutes,let drip, then place face ears first, in a five gallon bucket overnight which will sweat it. The next day the cape is measured folded and frozen. Best: Bryan "Wildlife Designs"

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. One more worry out of the way for a first timer.

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would be a good deal to make your trophies in RSA, mine are at the taxidermist at the time and I dont have to pay until they are ready for shipping, the prices also are ok for me. Its like 135$ for shoulder mounting an Impala. Look into their homepage at http://www.safaritaxidermy.co.za/ .

I had my first safari this July and had great help from this forum, so if you have any further questions just ask and someone will try to ansver.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Dennis . . .

Not to step on anyone's toes but I would definitely NOT have my taxidermy done in Africa unless all I wanted done were skull mounts and hides tanned.

This has been discussed a lot on these forums. The general consensus is that while the taxidermy work may be cheaper beyond the pond, the shipping back to the states will eat up any savings (and may be more expensive).

Also, If there is a problem with a mount, the taxidermist in Africa will not call you up on the phone to have you come down to discuss the options like a local taxidermist should. You'll pay for the mounts before you even see them and then have no recourse if you have a problem.

Research this option very carefully before deciding.

Good luck!

JDS

[ 10-19-2002, 08:48: Message edited by: jds ]

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2000 my partner and I went to RSA, we shot 35 animals between us. We had 7 shoulder mounts, my partner had several European mounts and a Zebra skin. The shipping for the mounted animals was close to $3000.00 to my door. That was after shopping around for a truck to deliver from the port in Miami. The crate delivered to my US taxidermist was less than half with over 20 animals. My experience was it was the same price. And I did get some great taxidermy in South Africa. I went this year and shot 5 animals and the taxidermy will cost more than the trip. Good news is the walls will be full finally!

Good Luck.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also note that in 2001 we had Full mounts of Bontebuck, Nyala, Bushbuck, bushpig. They where almost half and the taxidermist mad the molds from our animals.
We did not know they do not include bases. After having the bases mad in the US I paid about 25% more for the mounts.

Good luck,

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I'm definately having my taxidermy performed here in the states but have yet to decide between two artists here in Oregon.