Notify
Tools

Zebra Rug Opinions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would this skin make a good rug?

[URL= ]Zebra[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George
I shot a Hartmanns Zebra in Namibia. I decided to rug the pelt. As a rug it's so spectacular I display it off the floor. In your photo I see the skin opened above the tendons to hang the Zebra. A rug skin may look a bit short on the back legs unless these splits can be closed and the cuts made in the proper place.
And another thing. If you decide to make a rug I suggest having it done in Africa provided the tannery is professional. Probably much cheaper than your home country. My taxidermist in NZ who personally tans all my capes told me Zebra are very difficult due to having a membrane layer that is troublesome to remove and therefore a costly job.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
George
I shot a Hartmanns Zebra in Namibia. I decided to rug the pelt. As a rug it's so spectacular I display it off the floor. In your photo I see the skin opened above the tendons to hang the Zebra. A rug skin may look a bit short on the back legs unless these splits can be closed and the cuts made in the proper place.
And another thing. If you decide to make a rug I suggest having it done in Africa provided the tannery is professional. Probably much cheaper than your home country. My taxidermist in NZ who personally tans all my capes told me Zebra are very difficult due to having a membrane layer that is troublesome to remove and therefore a costly job.

Thanks 30-06!

I am having it done in Zim.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have two Hartsman Zebra at the Taxi in Seattle right now. They do mostly African animals. One will be a rug and the other a Pedestal mount. They are very reasonable and I highly recommend them. I had a Cape Buffalo done in Africa and will not have anything else done there again.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I both have taken zebra and turned them into rugs. Even those who are less enamored with hunting than we are enjoy seeing the rugs. Seeing them spread out on the floor is impressive.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the dirtiest, oldest Hartmann zebra you can imagine last year in the mountains of Namibia. It was even missing its tail and had quite a few scars. Still made a beautiful rug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Zebra but none would be left on quota on most of my hunts.This year they were available.We chased them through the hills one hot afternoon but they would not let us get within 400yds of them.The next day we spotted a small group in some cover in a valley.The cover and strong head wind allowed us to stalk to within 15yds of the nice male pictured above.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That hide would be well worth making into a rug. It's simply beautiful. They are also very durable. Mine gets walked on daily and still looks terrific even though I shot it in 2001.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of both Burchell's and Hartmann's Mountain Zebra rugs. Right now, one Burchell's and one Hartmann's are displayed in the house. Big Grin Nice Burchell's George! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
Your Zebra will make a beautiful rug
Notice how it has strong and clean pattern...zero shadow stripes in between which you see further to the South.
That would be considered a "Grade A" Zebra rug of the highest quality
Hope you enjoy it for many years up there in Canada

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

It is ready and should ship soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra rugs are one of the most awesome things to be seen. A buddy and I both shot zebra and had them made into rugs. Even the anti-hunters thought they were pretty, though they wouldn't step on it. Beautiful.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ske1eter:
Zebra rugs are one of the most awesome things to be seen. A buddy and I both shot zebra and had them made into rugs. Even the anti-hunters thought they were pretty, though they wouldn't step on it. Beautiful.

What's a trophy room or even a home without a zebra rug, eh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Zebra rug should arrive today or tomorrow.I will post a pic when I get a chance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw it yesterday and I really like it.Andy Hunter from Chipitani arranged the taxidermy work in Zim.The Zebra rug will give me years of enjoyment.The Zebra meat tasted well in camp too.I am glad I hunted one and took a zebra from the wilds of Makuti!.I did not have a camera with me-next time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Zebra of Tanzania, particularly the Selous are the most beautiful of all the species. The thin stripes make a zebra rug IMO..the wide stripes of South African Zebra that come out of the red dirt area are nice, the pink and black is different if the Taxidermist doesn't ruin the color.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
]

Looks nice.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice! Could you post a photo of the whole rug. Interested to see how the backing was done? Was it felt,leather trim etc.
Also the cost of getting it done in Zim.

I had Wildlife Gallery do mine, it turned out great but was $$$$$$$$....

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra photos.

Nice rug Shootaway! Looks great!

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex was a seamstress. When one of our friends came back from Africa with his tanned hides she made him beaucoup of throw pillows for his den. He also gave her a hide from a Mongolian sheep that she got to keep some of + made a winter hat that was the warmest I ever wore.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote