THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    pedestal with casters for Sable Shoulder Mount

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pedestal with casters for Sable Shoulder Mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Working with my taxidermist regarding my trophies from SA in 2018. Seven animals; six are going on the wall, so no problem there. My Sable I am going to have put on a pedestal. My house is not that large, with tile floors, and I would like to have the Sable on a pedestal that is on casters so that when we clean house we can move it around easily. My taxidermist's concern is that if we put it on casters it may tip over easily and break the horns. Anyone had a similar experience? TIA.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy to do for a cabinet maker. My last Valley buffalo rolls with ease. You can also add some weight inside the base if you think it's top heavy. Do the casters and "J" won't complain when she has to move it!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've built 8 pedestals for my mounts. I put removable casters on 3 of them (2 full body mounts and a double caribou shoulder mount).

I agree with bwana that casters are easy to put on.

My pedestals are all on carpet, so I don't want the casters left on to dig into the carpet. Single animal pedestals (like my Sable) are fairly easy to slide, especially by two people.

I also agree with your taxidermist that the pedestal mount with casters would be top heavy.

Maybe a solution would be to attach 5 of those "slide pads" to the bottom of your pedestal. They would add less than 1/2" to the height of your pedestal and they slide easily over most surfaces.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the responses. We have tile floors with fairly narrow grout lines. Do you think that the "sliders" will work for us? Is there a specific one that you would recommend?
On another note, whatever we end up with I am sure that we will put some weight in the bottom to prevent "tipping over". Have you felt the need to put weights in any of your pedestals? How much weight did you use and what did you use for weights? Thanks.

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have not used sliders, but I can't see why they wouldn't, especially on tile. They are pretty inexpensive and most hardware stores, and even Walmart carry them.

I don't know how thick the sides of your base at the floor will be. The ones that I make are 3 1/2" thick at the floor, and I would use the 3" diameter sliders.

I would correct my previous post and only use 3 sliders, as 3 is the most stable on any surface. A tile floor should be very stable.

Most of my single animal pedestals (including the one with my Sable) are 15" wide at the floor and are 30" tall. They are steady enough that I don't worry about them tipping, even on the thick carpet that I have them on.

The pedestal that I built for my Eland is 21" wide at the floor and it is very stable.

The pedestal that I am building now is for a very large Caribou, and it will be 17 1/2" wide at the floor by 36" high.

I have not put any extra weight in any of my pedestals. I build mine starting with a 2x4 frame at the bottom, and if I wanted to add weight, I would simply lay some boards inside, on top of the 2x4s and place a lead shot bag, a couple of small sand bags, or a couple of 10# steel weight lifting plates on top of the boards. 20-25 pounds of weight should easily be enough weight.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info, many thanks! Any chance of getting any pictures? I have a local cabinet maker I am working with. PM me if you would prefer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with a kudu pedestal and hardwood floors in our house. I installed felt sliders( picked up at local hardware store) which added 1/4" of height. I'm able to move it by myself without issue, I'd imagine tile would be similar.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote