THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Want to learn and start my own taxidermy business...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to learn and start my own taxidermy business...
 Login/Join

posted
If anyone could give me some insight on books, videos, anything on how to.. Thanks

A mountain man is a lonely man!

Posts: 6 | Location: Az | Registered: 13 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
A good place to start would be www.taxidermy.net and http://www.mckenziesp.com/

Good luck!

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone said "I wanna start my own restaurant" where can I get some good books, I'd tell them to work in a restaurant first--with a pro. Maybe you should get a job at a taxidermy house for a few years and learn the trade.

There are too many people in this world who don't want to take the hard road, the road of learning and experience first. I'm not saying you're one of them but don't be afraid to learn from others.

the chef

posted Hide Post
I understand that I either really need to work with someone or go to a school for it, but which one is better? Do I just walk in to a taxidermist and say HEY I want a job? Whats the protocal? How does one get there foot in the door, that should have been in my original question... But thank you for your comments

A mountain man is a lonely man!

Posts: 6 | Location: Az | Registered: 13 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I went to chef school I walked into a restaurand and asked if I could work for free for a few nights. It worked! Everyone likes free labour it seems.

From a tradespersons viewpoint I think it's better to go to school then work with a pro, that's how I got my papers. Obviously I'm not a taxidermist but the principle is the same for any trade.

I went to school full time for two years then did my apprentiship. I could have only done an apprentiship and been "employable" but the technical basis I got at school wouldn't happen on the job.

Just my two cents, maybe a taxidermist on there can get you into a shop to watch the pro for a few days.

Good luck

One of Us
Picture of starchild69
posted Hide Post
Hey Duke, I too did what Chef did, I asked around and found a Taxidermist that was prepared to "show me the ropes" free of charge. I am in Australia, and we have few Taxidermists around compared to the States, so I got on a plane and went to Texas! You know, the very first guy I spoke too took me in, and I was there a month!
The next two years I did the same, and hunted a little bit as well. I learnt that much in my time in Texas, I kinda knew the A,B but was missing the C and D as it were.
Good luck

Posts: 26 | Location: East Gippsland,STH EAST AUSTRALIA | Registered: 14 April 2008Reply With Quote