THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    2012 cougar mount finished and "home"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 cougar mount finished and "home"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...or at least at my dad's house as the mount wasn't finished before my move to Alaska. Or before either of my trips to Utah this past fall. Having only seen pictures of the mount, so far I am pleased with it and hopefully that doesn't change upon finally seeing it in person.

The cat was from the Henry Mountains in Utah, OTC tag chased with hounds. He was 7'3" tip to tip and just over 150lbs. His skull is just shy of 15".

Posts: 246 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutey stunning. A beautiful cat. Cougar hunt is on my wish list. If successful in taking a cat as good as yours thats exactly how I will ask my taxidermist to present him. Congratulations on your success.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome cat. Beautiful color. A friend of mine has a big ranch in west Texas. He has shot two while deer hunting. I haven't seen one yet when I go there but keep looking.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No substitute for a real cat man. (Bet it looks best in person without yellow tinted glasses.)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Not sure I understand the yellow glasses comment BNagel but I can't wait to see it myself.

Posts: 246 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Pictures are yellow, and I bet in person it's better. What a great cat and fine job on the mount!!

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is real artistry in that design. I wonder if that is a factory form, or he had to modify it greatly to get that appearance.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see what your saying now, but I guess I don't think the pic is yellow so much as the light bouncing off that pine wall. I'll hopefully get some better pics of it on the wall at my dad's.

Thanks BWW, I picked the pose and asked for a few adjustments, so even if it is a factory form I know it had to be modified quite a bit. I suspect that this guy builds his own forms, as he really is a good taxi, as was his dad. Hopefully his personal situation simplifies and his future/current clients have a better time dealing with him.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It looks great! The coat texture looks so much better than most cat mounts. Too many cats look like they use hair gel to slick the hair down.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote