New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stinky Skull Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got my bison skull back about a month ago from a hunt I did in Oct. I left the skull with a taxidermist in WY who uses the beetles to clean them. The skull looked very good when I got it, nice and white and not cracked up. It did have a smell, but not very strong just a different smell. I have had it sitting in my gameroom since then and it began to develop a smell (like rotting) and I had to take it out of the house. I also noticed that it is beginning to yellow a little on one side. It almost seems that the smell is coming from under the horns? Maybe the beetles weren't done? Maybe the yellowing is some residue seeping out from under the horns? Whatever it is, it definitely stinks now. Besides calling the taxidermist who did it, does anybody have any suggestions or comments as to why it has started stinking so bad?
Thank you.

Posts: 168 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The yellow stuff is most likely fat. I would have thought it would have become an issue sooner, but then what do I know?

I have had good luck degreasing skulls by submerging them in Coleman fuel. That would be a PITA with a bison skull I would think. Soaking in hot water and Borax might work.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the horns were never pulled off the core, which - using beetles or boiling - must be done to avoid this very situation!

One solution would be to plastic bag the skull - in a big black plastic garbage bag - and let the skull package sit outdoors in the sun until you can pull the horns off the cores, then scrape out the fat and connective tissue.

Aside from that, my best suggestion - if possible - would be to get the skull back to the Taxidermist and shove it up his ass! There is no excuse for this ... none!

I wish you the best with this situation!

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
quote:
l

2X what John B stated!!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call the taxidermist and tell him the problem. Ask him if the sheathes are epoxied onto the cores. Tell him you want a refund so you can take it to another taxidermist.

To add on what John said, you will need to add some water to the bag, a cup or two should do. Also, spray the base of the caps with water. If you can pull the sheathes off then you will need to simmer the boney cores. The cores are hollow and it is best to cut them off 4-5 inches from the skull.

I have found lots of guys using beetles are lazy. They throw the skull in with the beetles and then pull them out and they think they are done. I think beetles are way over rated.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with using beetles to clean a skull. I like the job they do cleaning out the nasal passages and the brain cavity. But it does sound to me like the horns were NOT removed from the core and now you've got rotting going on inside.

I'd definitely get in touch with the taxidermist regarding this issue!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing it down with borax. Pour it into the cavities. Let it sit in a cool well vented place. I've done this with european style mounts with good success.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote