THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Question About The Contents of Cabela's Skull Bleaching Kit...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About The Contents of Cabela's Skull Bleaching Kit...
 Login/Join

posted
While browsing through my Cabelas catalog, I came across the Skull Bleaching Kit.
As part of its contents, along with the usual Hydrogen Peroxide, it also lists powdered bleaching agent,and sodium carbonate. Can anybody tell me what these are for?

When I do my own European skull mounts I add Causic Soda to the water while the skull boils and then use Hydrogen Peroxide to actually bleach the clean skull. Am I missing something here?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete,

The "powdered bleaching agent" is Magnesium Carbonate. Some taxidermists mix it with hydrogen peroxide to make a past that is put on the skull to bleach it white. It is not a requirement that it be used as the liquid hydrogen peroxide works fine without it.

The sodium carbonate is sold in the states as "washing soda" (not to be confused with sodium bicarbonate which is baking soda). The sodium carbonate (sold under the trade name of "Sal-Soda") is added to water when a skull is boiled. It turns meat into a jelly like substance which comes off the skull quicker. Don't over-boil however, as it can change the color of antlers.

I'm not sure what caustic soda is and have never heard of using it in skull preparation (unless it is another name for sodium carbonate).

The chemicals one uses for skull prep can be purchased at Research Mannikins, a taxidermy supply house. Their website is at:

www.rmi-online.com

Hope this helps and good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks JDS,

I was intially struggling to get some 40% Hydrogen Peroxide, my local chemist could order some but it was fairly expensive, something like $10 per litre..however somebody put me on to another source of the liquid or cream version hairdressers use for $3 per litre! I suspect the cream may be the same as the paste you are talking about.
Looking on the bottle, Caustic Soda is Sodium Hydroxide. Its used for cleaning drains ect over here and is a powerful degreaser...I guess it carries out the same function as the sodium carbonate...

The advice about over boiling was very timely as I have just done that very thing and the nose bones have fallen off my Roe buck skull! If beyond repair, I will swap the antlers onto another skull.Should pay attention and not get involved in other things!

Regards,
Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JDS,

Just another question..a couple of years ago I bought some "skelletal bleach" from Taxidermist Supply stand at a gamefair. This was a clear colourless liquid but the guy would not tell me what other than it was not Hydrogen Peroxide.
The intsructions which came with it said I could either boil the skull in it or treat it afterwards as per the usual way.
When I eventually got around to trying it, I swear it was water as it had no bleaching effect at all...Had it gone "off" sitting on the shelf of my shed or had I been taken in by a modern snake oil salesman???

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
The loss of the nose bones on your skull should not be a problem. It is not unusual to have the two top bones (on the bridge of the nose) fall out as well as the two bottom bones (below the nasal cavity that make up the front part of the roof of the mouth.

If that happens just rinse them well to clean them, keep everything separate during the bleaching process and then use a couple of drops of white Elmer's glue to glue them back into place.

i would suggest gluing them right after the final rinsing and before you allow the bone to dry because sometimes they will "warp" as they dry and not fit as well.

As far as your chemicals, hydrogen peroxide that I buy is purchased from a wholesale beauty supply. It is a clear liquid that looks like water but it does have a strong odor.

Hydrogen peroxide is a light sensitive chemical. It should be stored in a dark environment as light will eventually render it useless.

Your caustic soda may be useful in the preparation of skulls as some of them are quite greasy and must be degreases. Bear skulls and boar skulls always need to be degreased. Deer species rarely need it. I've never used Sodium Hydroxide but as a degreaser it may work fine.

Good luck!

JDS

[ 10-14-2002, 07:17: Message edited by: jds ]

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote