THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    what about a boar's teeth?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what about a boar's teeth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Questions for any guys who do taxidermy,or know how it's done, regarding boar teeth. I had the tusks of the boar I killed, mounted on a plaque. I'm aware that the tusks were cleaned inside and out then filled with a material to make them more stable. I have read that on full head mounts the tusks are usually replaced with artificial ones, again for long term durability and to prevent odor as the tusks age. My question is what about all the other teeth? I would think they would need to be replaced with plastic ones too, for the same reason. And I sure can't envision a taxidermist performing 40 root canals and crowns!

NRA - The only organization in America that gets blamed for actions that none of its members commit!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
If the real teeth/tusks are to be used in an open mouth mount, the jaws are cut & cleaned like any regular skull process.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for replying. Please explain in a little more detail if you can.

NRA - The only organization in America that gets blamed for actions that none of its members commit!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Skulls are cleaned & bleached for display. Typically, artificial jaws/teeth/tongue are used in an open mouth mount. They are more durable, easier to use & is the standard procedure.
Using the real jaws requires the cleaning process, removal from the skull & fitting into the form. I use the real teeth only if there is a unique character to them.
You need to discuss the options with the taxidermist.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I appreciate it, that answers my question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to say all the teeth would be plastic.

I just took a good look at two boars right over head.

From the wear I'm sure the fronts are natural.

Until now I had never paid much attention. I do know the tusks are plastic as the real ones were broken off on both boars.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote