New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reptile taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for taxidermist to mount rattlesnake.Anybody got a recommendation for somebody that you have used.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
That can be a tough one... I took one to a Taxidermist years ago in NM along with an Antelope.. Got my ass chewed and nearly thrown out the door.. He hated snakes!! LOL!

I never did find anyone to mount it...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend of mine who does them here in Wisc. He does a really nice job. He’s won a couple ribbons with them. I can PM you his details if you would like.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuckmaxman
Yes send his information,thank-you.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
taxidermy.net has many taxidermists who could help you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
Chuckmaxman
Yes send his information,thank-you.

PM sent!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hvr:

Let's see some pictures of your snake.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real hard for me to post pics on this site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Jerry or others here do snakes I recommend a Contributor here first. I’ve not seen many finished animals on here that weren’t among the best I’ve ever seen.

If they don’t handle reptiles I can’t recommend Pernell’s in South Carolina high enough. Mary is fantastic and customer service is second to none. My gator looks like it’s still alive and after explaining I really didn’t like the fake red eyes or any commercial eyes she made me a set that are as realistic as it gets. I had the neck done as well not just the head which isn’t the norm for most but I’ve seen some and really feel the neck gave it a true sense of size and realism regardless of the significant cost difference. During a move one of my little ones may have nocked it over or it may have had an internal issue but it was on a hard floor resting with teeth up on the back of the neck so I’m 99% my kids knocked it down and stood it back up. The one cheek had a flat spot that was located perfectly where it would be if it had fallen. I emailed Mary, this was 3 years after I received the mount. She setup return shipping, repaired it, and returned it without saying a word and refusing a payment.

I’ve met Taxidermist’s with great service that I wished were better at their trade. Some I’ve met were fantastic at their trade but not so good on the interpersonal side. I’m an easy customer beyond usually asking for something non standard. I pay whatever deposit they ask and if none is specified give 50%. I don’t call or follow up and pay immediately when finished regardless of when I plan to pick up. Many have enough to worry about and put in very long days so my scheduling issue shouldn’t put them out financially. With Pernell’s that’s the only mount I’ve had done so it wasn’t a repeat customer thing. I got the impression this was their standard.

Not many Taxidermists are great at most animals. Jerry and a few others here post the most fantastic bears, cats, etc. I’ve ever seen and I’d use them for anything significant. Mary has quite a portfolio and does snakes from what I remembered. Her cats are very good, I always look at the eyes and ear alignment, etc. I will reiterate Jerry H., Artistry, and a few others on here are beyond anything I’ve seen.

Saeed, if Pernell’s isn’t a site sponsor and I’ve violated any etiquette please delete.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gremcat:

Not many Taxidermists are great at most animals. Jerry and a few others here post the most fantastic bears, cats, etc.

Saeed, if Pernell’s isn’t a site sponsor and I’ve violated any etiquette please delete.

Saeed can answer but I don't believe there are any "site sponsors".

Jerry has done a fair amount of work for all and all of it is excellent. I suppose the most out of the ordinary piece he did was the very first and that was a pair of Guinea Fowl that Joyce killed which I had mounted as a surprise. It's an excellent mount.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7567 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Falls Taxidermy or Trophy Taxidermy in Ulm, or Great Falls are who I would call. If they don't do them, pretty sure Mark at GF does, they should know who to point you to.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to fall for that one again. An acquaintance once called me on his cell and asked if I had a recommendation for a taxidermist to mount a snake. I said I'd check and get back with him. (Back then my taxidermist was on speed dial). Taxidermist said he did snakes so I gave info to my acquaintance to drop off.

Got a very mad call from my taxidermist shortly afterwards. Seems like my acquaintance dropped the snake off in an igloo cooler and it wasn't exactly dead. There wasn't enough left to mount.

True story and funny since no one got hurt.

Posts: 9935 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote