Find
Notify
Tools

The humble hippo!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

I have sets of tusks that I want to display.

I saw this first one on the Beretta store in NY in 2014. The second picture was at a taxidermy in RSA I think.

Anybody have any other ideas ? Or have other tusk mounts please?

Thanks.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Here's what I did with mine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X6gt7tTfac8MTtAq9

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Thank you. A very original display method of the picture and the ivory. I like it. Thanks.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

What's the trick to keep them sealed so they won't
crack over the years?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have treated mine with baby oil over the years and have still had some small pieces flake or 'pop' off. I have a friend who didn't treat his at all, and they literally exploded a couple of times, with big pieces breaking off.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have treated mine with baby oil over the years and have still had some small pieces flake or 'pop' off. I have a friend who didn't treat hi at all, and they literally exploded a couple of times, with big pieces breaking off.

Mine where not treated at all, and a big chunk popped off one of the large main tusks within six months leaving a big hole in the side. Also in the next five years the other main tusk split it's full length leaving two exact halves. The two long grouser tusks are true Ivory and have not moved at all over 15 years and are still intact.
I was told, much too late, that the cavity should have been filled with wax, and outer surface oiled occasionally to prevent as much cracking as possible. Alas, as I said that information was not obtained till the damage was done!

………………………………………………………... CRYBABY old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad a brought back the whole skull; makes for an impressive trophy. Have not had any issues with teeth splitting; interesting, as I live in AZ (dry). No issue with elephant ivory either.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have often thought why someone hasn't incased the hippo tusks in a clear block of clear plastic mounted on wood stand base. Maybe this would avoid the cracking and exploding of hippo tusks, and make a very nice display for a shelf, or fireplace mantel.

……………………….Just a thought! Mac Confused old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Hippo..A PH I know had a Hippos hide split thin as a handkerchief and it looked and felt like velvet, was soft and the most beautiful piece of leather Ive ever seen..man would it make a pair of chinks (chaps) or whatever...He used it over the seat of his pickup..He had it done in RSA, apparently they are the only ones that will do that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote