New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll go first.
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Thanks Saeed. I really do enjoy good taxidermy, so I hope this encourages a bunch of members to post pictures of their best mounts.

Here is a picture of the pedestal mount I had made of my best Stone Sheep. I have it in my living room about three feet left of the TV so I can look at it all the time. I love it.

-

Here is a pic of me with the sheep before it was mounted.

-

[Smile] Canuck

[ 07-28-2002, 00:39: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice sheep, Canuck. Where did you get him, if you don't mind my asking? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I spined him, right behind the shoulder. [Wink]

I've had lots of offers for free pack-ins, etc, if I'd give that info up. You know...us locals are a different lot when it comes to sheep info. Nothing ruins a good sheep spot like people.

If you're thinking of coming to BC after Stone's, just e-mail me. I'll point you in a good direction.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
canuck,

He's MAGNIFICENT! What did he score?...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, looks super. One day I want a Dall or a Stone.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Canuck, and my apologies. I might take you up on that. Take care - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Big Stick, I have dreamed about Stone Sheep hunting since I first read Jack O'Connor, when I was 10 years old. This ram was the result of 6 years of research and exploratory trips. It still blew my mind when I walked up to it! I can honestly say that its score means nothing to me. I always dreamed of one with a curl like that and still can't believe my luck. I did have it officially scored for identification purposes (big sheep seem to go missing more often than other species...God help any SOB that tries pinching the most treasured thing I have! [Smile] ), and it scores much less than you might think. It is shy of B&C minimum by an inch and a half (168 4/8"), despite having a longest side of 45 1/2". Small bases. It actually makes it a little more special to me. It could be one of the longest sheep to not make the book. Since I wouldn't have entered it anyway, its probably appropriate.

Dan, there's never any harm in asking. [Wink] If I had 5 cents for every time someone asked where I got that sheep, it probably still wouldn't cover the 5 cents I owed for every time I asked someone else about theirs! Sheep hunting is funny that way.

[Smile] Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed for this new site!

Canuck,

Every time I see that picture of your ram, it gets me hyper!
Lately, when anyone asks,"when am I going sheep hunting" I have been saying,"sooner or later" or one of these days"
Thanks for posting the picture, because now I want to go tomorow, now that my blood is boiling. Everything else can wait.

It is a beautiful mount. I really like the way his head is turned up. Many times I have seen rams do this. It is part of them that makes them unique. I have not seen a form for this style. Did your taxidermist cut and modify the form for this position?

That is one nice ram!

YKNR

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Yukoner,

Thanks for the compliments. I know how you feel when you look at it, cuz everytime I look at it I can't believe I shot it. Makes me want to rush out and find another one!

I watched this ram for three days before we could pull a stalk on it. We actually ended up setting up an ambush, which miraculously worked. Anyway, while I had my eyes peeled on it for those three long days I noticed that while it was bedded for the day it would frequently lift its head like that, smelling the updrafts. So thats why I picked that pose. The added advantage of the upturned nose is that it really accents the length of the curl. The turn kinda represents it laying down, but also just looks cool on a pedestal.

The taxidermist I used just modified a standard "Right Turn" Shoulder Mount form. He is quite an artist.

Thanks again for the compliments. I hope everything is good at your end. Good luck this fall!

Take care,
Canuck

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Excellent sheep and it appears from the photo that you've got a good taxidermist!!

Your mount shows how a talented taxidermist can make a minor modification to a standard form and create unique mount.

Good job!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. That is easily the biggest stone I've seen that didn't book...EASILY. Congratulations to you on a beautiful animal and congrats to him for growing that big!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote