THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Removing Impala and Puku Horns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Impala and Puku Horns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back an impala skull and a puku skull from my last safari. The skulls are cleaned, of course, but really need to be degreased and whitened. (Want to do euro mounts)

I was going to pop the horns off off the cores and put the skulls in degreaser (and clean out the inside of the horns to reduce the smell). But I am having zero luck removing the horns. They are loose and have a little play, but I think the shape of the horn and core wont let them come off.

(Versus an animal with a fairly straight horn that would slide right off, or spiral horn that would sort of screw off the core.)

Anyone have any tips on how to remove them, or barring that how to de-odorize them while they are on the skull?

I soaked them for a few days, and all that did was rehydrate some crud inside the horns and make them smell even worse.

Thanks for any tips or ideas anyone may have!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might have to gently reheat the skulls and horns first to make separation easier.
The guy in this video is pulling Blackbuck horns off a skull so maybe this approach would help with Impala and Puku.
He has other videos too for other species so you might find something closer to some of the African species. In this video he shows tapping the horn bases with a rubber hammer after removing the skull from the heating bath also helps get things started.
Anyway, hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb6jev2R_V8

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip and the video! I will give boiling a try as soon as I get a chance.

Any other thoughts from anyone else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give to a professinal taxidermist. They will make it nice and not over boil which a lot of people do and then the noses fall apart

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala horns usually do not come off. Neither do wildebeest, buffalo, hartebeest and more. I would let it dry. Put some dry pesticide down the space if it will fit and then use black epoxy to seal where the horn meets the skull. You can soak the skull in warm water and dawn to help degrease, just keep the horns out of it.

Usually skulls from Africa have already been over boiled and the grease is likely cooked into the bone. I would whiten what you have with 40 volume hydrogen peroxide and basic white (you can get both from the hair salon) wrap in saran wrap and set it in the sun for awhile. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks NMHunter! The impala horns not coming off at all is exactly what I was wondering about, the shape of them sure seems like it would be problematic. Sealing up with epoxy sounds like an excellent tip, too!

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yes I’m afraid Impala & some others don’t come off, Blackbuck do easily !
As has been said some other beasts, Cape Buffalo & Muskox stay one & need extra treatment,
I think some guys use Formaldehyde as I have done on Croc heads ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote