Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bugs in taxidermy
 Login/Join

posted
I have just received my crates of Zim trophies and in looking at my buffalo it appears to have a few small holes in the cape below the chin down to the chest. I would assume there are some bugs at work! The hide is hard and there appears to be space between the hide and the form. I did leave it outside in the rate two nights at -15 don't know if that's enough to kill any bugs or not. Was thinking of setting it back outside again. Any thoughts or ideas??

Posts: 17 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have a knowledgeable taxidermist look it over if possible. The cape should be tight to the form just like skin. Gaps are not normal.

Just to be safe, it should be fumigated and treated to get rid of any possible bugs. Cold weather might kill the bugs, but they are tough little shits. Eggs are usually not killed through freezing unless it is prolonged for months. Even the eggs of tropical bugs will survive freezing remarkably well.

Have it done well before it gets near any other taxidermy work.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Can one spray them with permethrin and would that handle the bug problem?

Posts: 17 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Permetherin on the surface isn't good enough usually. Exterminators will bag the whole thing and fumigate it, then inject an insecticide into the hide in a few places for insurance.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's is one reason I never get my trophies done in Africa.

I've visited several taxidermy shops over ther and you just know the place is crawling with all kinds of vermin.

I would love to see a night video of what runs around in those places after lights out.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that in the USA, taxidermists sometimes place inside their mounts, a piece of cloth or sponge which is soaked with formaldahide.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have your taxidermy done close to home! It makes problems easier to handle especially if it goes to court. Your experience isn't all that uncommon btw, and mostly in foreign countries where taxidermist are not licensed.
I hear these complaints all the time being in the hunting business..I tell all my clients to have the taxidermy done in the USA, some do and some don't and most that don't are calling me and trying to deal with me after I warned them, nothing I can do at that point..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote