THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Carnegie Museum of Natural History covers up controversial display

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carnegie Museum of Natural History covers up controversial display
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.usatoday.com/story...-display/3491293001/

Link has photo of display and article.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9339 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

The part about human bones makes me wonder-

When did taxidermists stop using bones in taxidermy?

Skull plates, those I have seen, but bones otherwise?

I have an old deer head from 2 generations previous to me (grandfather’s friend) that started to fall apart, and it was wire and sawdust inside.

Just interested to know when/if they used the skeleton to build the mounts?

Posts: 10457 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That’s an amazing mount.

Political correctness kills everything.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Human bone is sacred.

I don't know what the right answer is on this question.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The weak and feeble minded can't comprehend nature so they cover it up and stick their head in the sand. What's not to love about that mount? Depicts life.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are the kind of people who can't understand the meaning of the last word in the Lords prayer. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1573 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not natural anyway.

The guy's not screaming!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Get over it, Snowflakes!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1630 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the legalities are but plan on checking it out. Just been too busy. I was thinking that after I'm dead, my femurs are of no further use to me, but would make good knife handles. So I thought about leaving custom knives with my bone handles to my best friends so that at least part of me could still go hunting. Is that too weird? Not even sure if it's legal and wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble. My form of immortality.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
Not sure what the legalities are but plan on checking it out. Just been too busy. I was thinking that after I'm dead, my femurs are of no further use to me, but would make good knife handles. So I thought about leaving custom knives with my bone handles to my best friends so that at least part of me could still go hunting. Is that too weird? Not even sure if it's legal and wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble. My form of immortality.

"Great looking knife you have there. Whats the handle?"

"Oh, Bobs thigh bone! He left it to me!"\

Different!!

sofa

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Great looking knife you have there. Whats the handle?"

"Oh, Bobs thigh bone! He left it to me!"\

Eeker Eeker Eeker Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Great taxidermy

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Owning human remains is legal and isnt the issue. The issue you will have would be the removal and preperation of said bone. I do know people are being skinned and displaying tattoos. Interesting topic im curious to what you find out. With the ability to do the tattooed skin the wanting to leave a femur bone may be possible.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This comment made me think...

"...the museum’s ethics policy requires that any human remains respect the person’s cultural traditions and be done with permission “of the people whose remains are displayed.”

Does the Museum actually think that the skeleton in the Arab is actually that of an Arab?!
More likely that of an indigent French drunkard!!

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is once I'm dead, I'm beyond caring. And so are they.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.post-gazette.com/n...stories/202107260077

Carnegie Museum asks for visitor feedback on cultural sensitivity, exhibits with complicated pasts

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette logo
HANNAH WYMAN
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 2, 2021 4:36 AM

The controversial diorama “Lion Attacking a Dromedary” was put back on full display at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Oakland last month, renewing the discussion about how museums tackle the issue of cultural sensitivity.

The exhibit, which depicts a North African messenger on a camel being attacked by a lion, was removed from view in July 2020 in the wake of Black Lives Matter protests.

Museum Deputy Director Jesse Rodriguez said the protests triggered by George Floyd’s murder, Black Lives Matter’s calls for racial justice and equity, and other race-related actions were catalysts for discussion within the Pittsburgh community, which had a trickle-down effect on the museum.

The diorama was later put back on display — but could only be seen by patrons who stepped behind a curtain to look at it privately.

“I would say definitely, there was a stronger movement within the community to look at the exhibitions we have on display,” Mr. Rodriguez said. “I would say, within museology, that’s been a discussion that’s been going on for years. How we can appropriately display objects that represent a culture, how can we tell a culture’s story, without receiving the proper input?”

Now, additional signage has joined the diorama, warning patrons of cultural stereotypes. According to the added text, the diorama minimizes violence, reinforces colonist views, contains inaccuracies and pits humans against nature. The male figure being attacked in the diorama also contains actual human remains — its head is sculpted around a human skull.

The diorama’s creator, Edouard Verreaux, was known to have robbed the graves of Indigenous people, the text reads.

Anthony Crum, of Sierra Vista, Ariz., who was visiting the museum, said the diorama is interesting because “it’s violent, but it’s putting things on display in a way that’s kind of telling a story.”

“This happens to people of all cultures, all races, depending on what animals you’re hunting. There are white people in Oregon that hunt grizzly bears that I’m sure have been attacked by predators as well. I don’t think it necessarily degrades anyone. ... I don’t know who’s necessarily offended by it. I haven't heard the other side to the story, but I can speak for us walking through here, none of us really seem offended by it.

“I’m sure it’s not the only thing that’s not the most accurate depiction of things in the museum,” Mr. Crum added. “It’s just kind of a way to make something interesting on display.”

The museum hosted monthly cross-departmental working groups and considered visitor feedback when deciding what to do with the display after it had been removed, Director of Exhibitions Sarah Crawford said.

“Through that process, by looking at the feedback we’ve received and by talking to each other, we decided collectively to bring it back on display, also with more context,” Ms. Crawford said.

A QR code can be found on the diorama asking visitors to scan and share their comments, questions and concerns about the exhibit.

Additional signage with QR codes is located in the Walton Hall of Ancient Egypt, Polar World: Wyckoff Hall of Arctic Life, and the Alcoa Foundation Hall of American Indians.

According to a placard found in the Hall of Ancient Egypt, the museum is “continually examining how to acknowledge the museum’s colonial past and ensure we don’t repeat the same mistakes” and is “working towards an inclusive and honest interpretation of this exhibit in its upcoming renovation.”

Another sign examines the complex ethical issue of displaying human remains.

A sign in the Hall of Arctic Life tells visitors the exhibit was created in the early 1980s and minimizes the impact of systems of oppression. Because of this, the museum is working to dismantle the colonial perspective in which the indigenous people are framed within the exhibit. A QR code is provided, asking for feedback.

The QR code signs and the added context to the diorama are efforts by the museum to engage visitors while the institution works on updating exhibits as science and society change over time, Ms. Crawford said.

“I think the same impulse that caused us to take a breath, talk to visitors about “Lion Attacking a Dromedary” is the same kind of plan that caused us to put the QR codes in the galleries, which are our cultural halls,” Ms. Crawford said. “We recognize that exhibits change over time. … We recognize that, although they are beloved, and have wonderful objects, wonderful stories in them, and great memories for all people in Pittsburgh, a lot has changed in that time.”

Reed Niebauer, who was visiting the museum from Altoona, Pa., said he thinks the QR codes show that the museum is listening to the public.

“They’re very focused on keeping everyone up to date and keeping it accurate and really focusing on what the museum is here to do,” Mr. Niebauer said. “It’s not here to misrepresent cultures or anything. It’s here to show natural history, and I think by implementing that option where they can reach out and ask questions or give their thoughts, that’s helping them continue to keep the museum evolving to adapt to that sort of thing.”

Liv Papi, also of Altoona, agreed that the QR codes are a step in the right direction.

“I think it is good,” she said of the signs that acknowledge the faults of the museum. “I feel like people don’t know the full story about things, and I like how we’re trying to bring attention to everything and show, ‘Oh, it might look one way, but this is the actual history about it.’ ”

Ms. Crawford said staff will be seeking feedback from patrons at the museum and in focus groups in the fall. The feedback the museum is getting through the QR codes has been “really encouraging,” she said.

“What it says to me is people are passionate to learn more,” Ms. Crawford said. “People are calling out things that they're reading in the labels that surprised them … and just encouraging us to continue the dialogue. So I feel really good about the direction we’ve taken, and I hope that we approach our exhibitions in the future with the same kind of thoughtfulness.”

As for the human remains within the diorama, Ms. Crawford said the museum doesn’t want to be too hasty with removal so as to not damage the display, but that she hopes to have them removed by next year. The skull will be placed in a sanctuary space in the museum’s care.

“We’ve taken a lot of time listening to visitors, and so we want to keep doing that,” Ms. Crawford said. “I think that this is a really important piece of the process in which we need to do because representation is very important. We don’t want to erase the individual. We want to respect the individual who’s there currently.”

Mr. Rodriguez, the museum’s deputy director, said cultural sensitivity is not just an issue being addressed at the local level. Museums all over the world are engaging in the assessment of artifacts and exhibits.

“This is not only a discussion that happens to the national scale, but it’s also a discussion happening at the international scale, because museums understand this is something we need to take very seriously,” he said.

Hannah Wyman: hwyman@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1255

First Published August 2, 2021, 4:36am

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9339 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have always pondered . . .

quote:
The diorama’s creator, Edouard Verreaux, was known to have robbed the graves of Indigenous people, the text reads.

What are the criteria by which one is to be judged so that one is considered to be an archeologist vs a grave robber?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple of letters in front of or behind your name.

I'm neither for nor against whatever it is they are crying about.

my only question:
is it a believable situation?
if so I'm good with it.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if that is an actual stuffed human(human bones) then that part needs to be removed(the man) and replaced with the manican of a white guy in western clothes so the snow flakes can be at ease. The guy in the diorama(a black man of north africa I presume) is kind of a hero as he has taken out the lioness with his knife.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote