New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer stand cold weather hunting Food
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have enough problems with deer hearing zippers cloth rubbing together while bow hunting.

Let along trying to get out of a body suit.

If one is hunting from an pop-up blind or a larger stand.

Even just sitting on a 5gal bucket or chair a small propane heater works well.

I have refillable 5lb propane cylinders I use on mine.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a ton of deer in MN - our shack is 2 miles south of the Canadian border. I have an old external backpack in which I stuff a -30 sleeping bag, my parka, and several other layers including a dry first layer. If I am using a climber I bungee that to the backpack frame. If I am not cold when I leave the shack or truck I am overdressed - when I get to my stand I change to a dry first layer. If I am using a climber I tie a long rope to my climber, then ascend. When I am where I want to be, I pull up my pack and tie it to the climber. I then put on my inner layers, my parka, and finally my sleeping bag. I can stay out all day in minus zero temps and not have to worry about hot food, pissing excessively, etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Great advice from all. I refuse to be miserable if it not necessary. I have a small propane heater and always carry some snacks, Werther’s butterscotch candy, water, a big thermos of hot water and “la yerba” Mate.

Stay warm, safe hunting and Happy Christmas!

I forgot you lived in Argentina at one point. I still have some Yerba left over from my last trip, but found some online. It used to be Gaucho Gourmet in San Antonio, but it appears they were bought by this place:

https://www.foodrelated.com/ct...ml?Sort_By=price_asc

Mate confused me my first trip. I wasn’t sure if it was some sort of drug or something silly!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Good morning DCS Member.

I have enjoyed the mate daily for many years. It has become a ritual for me when hunting or preparing the grill. Was drinking it yesterday when I shot a big boar right before “can’t see”.

2020 was the first time in almost 20 years that I did not go to Argentina. Most of the larger Latin grocerey stores (such as Fiesta) carry mate and Amazon carries it as well.

Hopefully 2021 will allow us to travel safely to Latin America and Africa.

Stay warm and Safe hunting!

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Good morning DCS Member.

I have enjoyed the mate daily for many years. It has become a ritual for me when hunting or preparing the grill. Was drinking it yesterday when I shot a big boar right before “can’t see”.

2020 was the first time in almost 20 years that I did not go to Argentina. Most of the larger Latin grocerey stores (such as Fiesta) carry mate and Amazon carries it as well.

Hopefully 2021 will allow us to travel safely to Latin America and Africa.

Stay warm and Safe hunting!

Larry

Good job on the boar!

I would spend close to half the year in Argentina for many years. It started off as an escape from my “real” job to work with my outfitter buddies/family. I then started dating a girl there, despite thinking a girlfriend in Fort Worth was a long distance relationship!

I do love the lifestyle down there. The people, the food, the Malbec, the Mate... I rarely hunting much most of that time other than splitting a case of shells with a buddy after the asado and making sure the hunters were fine in the field. I did take a few cull stags and Buffalo.

There is an Argentine steakhouse here and I was extremely disappointed.

Same to you and I’m just waiting to get back. I get emails about cheap fares to Santiago with just that short flight to Cordoba, but still unsure about it all.

Salud, señor!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Heavy down jacket and lined coveralls and stormy
Cromer hat, pocket heaters anf gloves and proper snow boots and regular boots..a pocket full of jerky and candy bars works for me..

However all day in a blind? not for me. I suggges dark of the morning to 10 Oclock. back to camp for breadfast and a nap the back to the blind at3 O,clock to dark is the norm where I come from...mid day blinds is normally a waste of time at least for big bucks.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trick to staying warm is to do as AAZW does. Do not get even the least bit sweaty. If you do you are screwed and you'll eventually get cold. Also go easy on the morning coffee or you'll have to pee about the time you get settled in the blind.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
When I hunt in cold weather I carry: Dozen Slim Jim’s, 6 Snickers Bars, 3 Nature Valley granola bars . For drinks I carry 4 Capri Suns juice pouches. If it’s REAL cold, I’ll put the Capri Suns inside my insulated hunting coat to keep them from freezing.

My God, Bud, you eat terrible! I can’t think of many things worse than any of your 3 choices. Well, except maybe the snickers bars. Big Grin

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A large coffee can with a lid, for bleeding your lizard in a blind..Do not pee out the door, you can talk in a normal voice in a blind..movement is a no no, and no need for camo in a blind..I see bow hunter and muzzle loaders driving around in the back of a pickup hunting deer..I guess they are supposed to look like a load of firewood.. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote