THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Federal Premium Ammo lays off 110 people.......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Premium Ammo lays off 110 people.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
A post-election gun industry pitfall is in full effect and has most recently hit Federal Premium Ammunition.

The ammo company confirmed that roughly 110 employees from the company’s Anoka, Minnesota, plant have been laid off, citing the current downturn the gun and ammo industry.

On top of cutting 110 employees, the company also withdrew from $1.15 million in state grants and loans designated for a $33.9 million factory expansion.

CBS Minnesota reports a spokeswoman for Vista Outdoor, which is the parent company of Federal Premium, said the layoffs were “necessary as the company works to right size its inventory levels.”

Ever since Trump took office, a cool, calm customer base, no longer living in fear of restrictive gun laws, has forced several companies to downsize as a result. Colt and Remington both laid off a significant portion of their workforce already, and this only looks like the beginning.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sort of expected this. It is unfortunate for the workers. It might be good for the custom gun making business, though, if the gunsmiths aren't already out of business from the past administration antics.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a share owner of Vista outdoors here is my mature, thoughtful response to this:

Good. May you Vista maggots feel the full force of your loser ways and how incredibly pathetic your ability to do your jobs truly was!

And here's the reasons why:

Called and asked for specs on an RCBS die that was "custom" and after an hour on hold being passed about, never got a call back. If you don't understand what you make, probably shouldn't make it.

And then I wanted to buy MORE of their phenomenal .375 H&H Federal Premium 300gr Woodleigh Hydrostatic ammunition. I called repeatedly. I spoke to product marketing where they told me "don't know when we'll do a run...not a hot seller" to which I replied they did ONE run of it 12 months ago and it was sold out EVERYWHERE in the nation. I called again, and again, and again. I then called Woodleigh, their supplier and found out the bullets were sitting in customs but they (Federal) didn't know how to clear customs and it was stuck in hell there. Finally, I called for maybe the 5th time (an hour of forwarding each time on phone) and they said "we probably aren't going to make it anytime soon so best give up. Later that week all the dealers in the nation had "Back in stock" notifications.

So why do I loathe and hate federal so much? You deserve to be bankrupt if you cannot forecast demand, do not know current inventory, production timelines, or product specifications of what you make.

This is why their stock sucks too. They couldn't capitalize on the "gun crazy" rally because they could not expand manufacturing one ounce to soak up increased demand. When your supply line is so inefficient you cannot increase supply with over time to run a 24x7 operation to capitalize on a once in a company's lifetime opportunity to sell 100% of product you make, you deserve to die a corporate death.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Should have put those folks to work making .22 ammo that still seems to be in short supply 'round these parts. Oh how I long for the days of getting the Federal 550-round bulk pack at Walmart. Hell, I don't even expect it to be 13 bucks like it was before Obama. I'd settle for knowing that I could pop into Wally World, grab a box, and spend the weekend blazing away with the 10-22 like the old days.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vista Outdoors stock, a spinoff from ATK, is really down on falling demand, forecasts, and earnings. At these price levels I suspect that a long term investor might do very well.

Re: .22 LR ammo

Local Academy has and has had for months, Fed cheap .22 for $2.49/box 50.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vista isn't even close to being done bleeding out yet. They went on a big buying spree, paying top-dollar for a lot of other companies in an over saturated market.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then I wanted to buy MORE of their phenomenal .375 H&H Federal Premium 300gr Woodleigh Hydrostatic ammunition. I called repeatedly. I spoke to product marketing where they told me "don't know when we'll do a run...not a hot seller" to which I replied they did ONE run of it 12 months ago and it was sold out EVERYWHERE in the nation. I called again, and again, and again. I then called Woodleigh, their supplier and found out the bullets were sitting in customs but they (Federal) didn't know how to clear customs and it was stuck in hell there. Finally, I called for maybe the 5th time (an hour of forwarding each time on phone) and they said "we probably aren't going to make it anytime soon so best give up. Later that week all the dealers in the nation had "Back in stock" notifications.

The great irony is just a few days after getting back in stock, many dealers were out of stock again.

I picked up a few boxes myself when they became available again.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The annoying thing is that they make some fantastic ammo that they just stop making. I can think if several blasts form the past that I would like to get my hands on again.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, real TBBCs would be nice.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote