THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Millionaires buying up all the hunting leases
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millionaires buying up all the hunting leases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Not where I live. But that's the reason I live where I do. Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one has the chance and the ability to buy your neighbor one should.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
$4000 to $12000 an acre in central Ks for farm ground. Varies by productivity and water rights.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Good Lord. Glad I live in south GA. It’s about $2-3000/acre here.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Good Lord. Glad I live in south GA. It’s about $2-3000/acre here.

We paid 150K for 50 acres in the Colorado mountains bordering natl forest and conservation easements on both sides of us, but that was 20 years ago; not sure what it is worth now but don't really care. Paid more than that just for the lot our house sits on Phoenix.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my clients aren’t in expansion mode but the ones that are still buy land at reasonable prices but they buy large tracts and have the luxury of dollar cost averaging against large holdings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are still places in the US that large tracts can be had at reasonable prices

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
There are still places in the US that large tracts can be had at reasonable prices

Let’s keep it that way, that’s all I’m saying. No use shutting the gate if the cows are already out. translation- Don’t wait till it’s too late.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s living in a capitalist society with private property rights and rule of law.

Rich people will own the best guns, hunting land, hunt Africa and around the world, attend hunting conventions, give themselves hunting awards and have homes filled with taxidermy. That is just the reality of a few people with lots of money who spend it on discretionary choices.

I personally think most hunting land is way over priced from its economic value - discounted cash flow generation. Land that can and will be converted to alternative uses - housing is fine.

Otherwise is 20 years when another generation not so interested in hunting has to buy these hunting properties (people do die and real estate is sold) their price will reflect cash flows.

Look at high end ranches today - bids are tough to find. August 19, 2019 wsj has a great article. Saeed does not like links to paid subscriptions.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are still private land ranches to be purchased at $100 an acre if you shop, only catch is you have to buy the whole 100,000 or more acres! wave AND its high and dry as a bone.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neighbors just paid $150,000 for a 1\2 acre to put a house on. Back in the day I bought my home here for less than that.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
supply and demand. Ain't make no more land!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
supply and demand. Ain't make no more land!

That’s been so true for so long. I look at ranches that I had a role in clients acquiring or that they passed on just 10 years ago and shake my head. That said, I see lots of value all the time but as Ray pointed out, you need to be buying truly large ranches. I’m not a realtor, so no dog in this fight. I’m thankful that I bought my ranch when I did. I lease the neighbors ranch as well and will do my level best to buy it when the chance comes along.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read this thread having people that didn't own land complaining about companies and people that did not leave there land open to public hunting. I have one bit of advise make it worth it to them to do so. I own 400+ acres of land in New York that's pretty well taxed. I'm still working so I can afford to pay now. But within 10 years I will not be. I let most hunt but don't really like it when people sneak on and I also belong to leashed land clubs. Make states 0ffer tax breaks for land owners for public hunting there will be lots of land out there.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 423 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was mostly timber companies that sold these large tracks of land .They made a good bit and I guess they were tired of waiting for timber to go back up. We have waited 30 years to thin our timber it's just very hard waiting that long .The timber companies wiped out all the oak trees and herbicided the land they bought so nothing but pines would grow .
We have had our farm over 160 years and use it own 3000 acres but lost 3000 acres in the depression because of a crooked banker.My dad took over our farm in 1973 when. My grandfather died then I took it over after my dad had a heart valve put in 1993 .I planted 10000 more pines but also planted 10000 oak trees
It's like our farm is an island houses all along three sides .I just found another patch 1000 acres that was bought for timber but it no longer hunted .It had really messed up hunting .I use to see 300 to 500 deer a year now we might see 30 to 40 come through. I went to Alaska 20 years ago and the hunting there was good then but now wolves bears and Russians and cow moose hunts wiped out huge areas where I use to hunt. I bet we see hinting as we know it totally disappear with the next 20 years .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buying land to hunt on?? multi million dollar ranches? hunting won't even pay the taxes or interest, not even close..The investors make money thru resale, most to foreign investors who probably hunt the land as why not..Many of those old family ranches are purchased and the original owner is allowed to ranch it, and live on it until he dies, can't beat a deal like that when you have spent a life time living hand t mouth just trying to survive and maintain your life style..its a dream deal come true for many...Hunting is just a perk of sorts, nothing more than a hobby..cattle are akin to Los Vegas, a gamble. resale is the name of the game.

You can buy some huge ranches at cheap prices like $100 to $200 an acre in Texas, but you have to buy 50,000 to a 100,000 acres, that ain't even close to cheap!! I know a great 6000 acre ranch between Marfa and Marathon, Tex last time it sold, it brought 1.5 million. probly run a 100 head of cows, has coues deer, mule deer, Audad, elk..company bought it for investment and allows employees to hunt..the catch is on these cheap land ranches you have to buy the whole package..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
8-9k/acre here for farm ground. How many you want?

Where?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote