Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Liver
 Login/Join

posted
Shot a doe yesterday and noticed when I cut her open that her liver was a bright blue. I have never seen that before. She ran about 100 yds after I shot her and left a heavy blood trail. This is the first deer I've had run so far and am wondering if that is why the liver wasn't the normal dark red. She seemed completely healthy other wise with a good bit of fat on her.

Posts: 15 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen the outside of the liver blue but the inside has always been red....I had a doe that was extremely tough and I ground up the whole thing and made good pasta sauce. The strange thing was that the liver was also tough even though that's not muscle tissue .I made nice liver pate from it .A weird deer.

posted Hide Post
"I've seen the outside of the liver blue but the inside has always been red....I had a doe that was extremely tough and I ground up the whole thing and made good pasta sauce. The strange thing was that the liver was also tough even though that's not muscle tissue .I made nice liver pate from it .A weird deer."
Interesting,I didn't think to cut it open.
Pic of the doe:

Posts: 15 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Blue livers are usually healthy, Sick livers are usually pale-- At least in my experience in 40 years of hunting, and it usually holds in the OR, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made nice liver pate from it

How is this done (sorry for the hijack)

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote