Find
Notify
Tools

Nuisance Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Got a call from a friend last Wednesday afternoon, telling me there was a nuisance bull who'd been run off the Ladder Ranch onto a neighboring ranch that needed to be dispatched. The eight-year-old had taken up residence at the ranch headquarters and for several weeks had been tearing up fence, threatening horses and men who were working around the place. After a quick trip to the range to check the zero on my .375 I headed out on the three-hour drive to my buddy's place, arriving just before 9pm.

Next morning we headed for the ranch, arriving just after 5 am for a meet with the ranch manager. He told us how much trouble these old bull could be and how please he was that we were there to deal with it. The Ladder Ranch manager had given the go-ahead for us to take the bull. As the sky was just beginning to get light we headed for the bull's last known whereabouts and it didn't take long to find him. He was down in a wash so we were able to get real close before he saw us. From about 20 yards I put the 300-grain A-frame into the merge of his skull and neck; he didn't take a step. It was 6:05. Two-and-a-half hours later the three of us had him cut up and loaded, and after dropping him at the processor and breakfast, I made it back to the shop my 2pm. I don't have room for a shoulder mount, but the boiled out skull will look great. I think he's a pretty good bull.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're gonna get some awfully tasty meat out of that fellow!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he won't be doing any more damage in the area!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those A-frames!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next morning we headed for the ranch, arriving just after 5 am for a meet with the ranch manager. He told us how much trouble these old bull could be and how please he was that we were there to deal with it

Glad you got a chance to shoot the bull.

The eight-year-old had taken up residence at the ranch headquarters and for several weeks had been tearing up fence, threatening horses and men who were working around the place

Couldn't have been to much trouble or he would have been dead the first day around here.

The ranch manager didn't own a rifle.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good Looking bull, Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt Buffalo, especially in rough country if they are wild...I like buffalo meat but after eating on a buff for a year, my last one got almost 900 pounds of packaged meat I was giving it away to everyone that would take it...Its a bit sweet tasting to me, prefer elk and deer and beef..I love the Bison robes. My grandson had some wooley chaps made from his beautiful cow bison and they are beautiful. Mine resides in the top of a closet mostly! Roll Eyes Maybe I should trade it for a gun..Any takers?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love buffalo meat it's awesome .It's $30 a pound here so a whole one is pricy .It's second only.to moose to me elk is bland to.me no taste .I use to get buffalo in Delta Junction from hunters that didn't like it and ones that Got popped by cars they are yummy The ribs and hump are out of this world yummy .The quarters are awesome burger .I wish there were still 60 million of them I.hate beef makes me sick I.only eat wild meat .Buffalo are awesome the king of the plains ,

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Cool, John!

And I got excited when I ran into a rancher friend who told me to get up to his mountain cabin and kill some coyotes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Sign me up for one!

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. I never seem to get phone calls like that.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote