New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pronghorn Taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for leads on a top end taxidermist for pronghorn antelope. In the event I am lucky enough to harvest a booner this season, i would like to have something special done. My local national champion taxidermist who did my first antelope is no longer taking new work. I have looked at a few of the big name folks and their lope look just a bit too smooth. Arent they supposed to have some ruff in the neck? Thanks for all recommendations.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I had two antelope mounts made by Dan French. Mine are basic head mounts but I am very happy with the work. He is not a boutique taxidermist but he does good work and is capable of more complex work than I required. He has a good reputation and his rates were reasonable as was turn-around time.

Here is his facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/danfrenchtaxidermy/

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Barry Johnson of Piggott Taxidermy out of North East Arkansas did my non-booner

Joe Coombs form with a full wrap Cape hung with an articulated floating wall braket

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep Mountain Taxidermy in the very Northwest corner of South Dakota. If you want something of both quality and uniqueness give Eric a call. 605-797-4688

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dewey Wildlife Studio
Cody, Wy.
He has won the "World" several times.
The "Masters" twice.
and is a Great guy.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Barry Johnson of Piggott Taxidermy out of North East Arkansas did my non-booner

Joe Coombs form with a full wrap Cape hung with an articulated floating wall braket

Nice looking speed goat Ted!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I used a place in Rawlins called Trails West Taxidermy, but that was in 1999.. they did a great job for me..

when I shot my goat, he was with a herd of about 40 does, so I told him to make him "pissed off" looking.. He did. I was very pleased with the mount.

I do understand though that they have changed hands at least once since I was there last, so you might look for some more recent reviews.

Good luck!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Garcia in Alamogordo, NM has judged "The World" and his antelope are the best.

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frontier Taxidermy in Cheyenne did mine in 1985. They are real close to where I hunted and do lots of them. Still looks awesome!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say they also shipped it to me when finished.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Studios in San Angelo TX mounted both of my pronghorns.
Jimmy Fontenot wins taxidermy trophies consistantly.

http://www.safaristudiostaxidermy.com/

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My brother in law has been a taxidermist for about five years and lives in Colorado. He thinks they are the hardest hooved animal in North America to get right.

I wouldn't personally trust anyone that doesn't live where they live. The best taxidermist in for pronghorns are probably in Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Alberta, Idaho, Utah and anywhere else where you can look at them live daily.

I once saw a pronghorn in Cannes, France in a hotel bar. Not all pronghorn taxidermy is equal.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If your hunting in Wyoming I recommend Scott's taxidermy in Casper. The one he did for me really turned out nice. It even has the neck hair flared out like when they're rutting.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natures Design

Cody, Wyoming they can ship anywhere and have a good turn around time.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote