Tools

Punched a buck tag today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

A bit of a challenge on the recovery.

~Ann

Posts: 19140 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Ann, nice buck be sure and wear your boots!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well done Ann. I head up to your old stomping grounds in the Thumb of Michigan on Thursday.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you want to preserve as much meat as possible, but you're drowning them now?

Anyhow, great job Ann!

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I know you want to preserve as much meat as possible, but you're drowning them now?

Anyhow, great job Ann!

rotflmo

He must have been thirsty to do that.

Good luck, Bud! Lots of deer there.

~Ann

Posts: 19140 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your success!

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that buck was stealing more chain than it could swim with.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ann. Backstrap tonight? From NW Misery Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's always tenderloins first.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice job, Ann! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain like that shouldn't break
pulling even a buck that big out
of the mud.

Glad you got one. How about the
story now??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5940 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Way to go.
Anybody have to wade in to hook him up?
What's the limit there?
Ours season starts Sat.
I might scratch one out if I'm lucky.
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lost okie:
Way to go.
Anybody have to wade in to hook him up?
What's the limit there?
Ours season starts Sat.
I might scratch one out if I'm lucky.
Mike

Fortunately he wasn't but knee deep there to get the chain attached. What you can't see is the rather steep angle I had to negotiate with the tractor on that back side of the pond. It was tricky backing out of there.

Missouri is pretty limited. One buck in archery and one buck in Firearms portion. I had been watching this buck for nearly two weeks during archery. Killed him in firearms. There was a ten point I was after but never saw him. Lot's of hunters out my way and the hammers were dropping on the deer for sure.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad you got one. How about the
story now??

So I hunt in a field at the east side/top of my property and wait for deer coming out of my woodland to cross the field. The field is about 5 acres in size. For firearms I generally sit in a pop up blind along the border fence that fits nicely under a large red cedar tree so it is partially concealed. My land slopes to the west from this field so I am basically at the top of my property. The deer bed in the woods below the field which is rather centrally located on my land. They like to feed in the field. I have nothing special planted out there, no cultivated food plots. I do bush hog it in August and it greens up nice for fall hunting.

Where the woods starts at the lower end of the field also has a bit of a drop so when deer go through there you can't see their legs but still get a good portion of the body and their head in view. From there my land continues to slope downhill.

I saw this buck just into the tree line sniffing a branch (there is an active scrape there too) which was a 90-100 yard shot. Since he was standing still, nice and broadside to me, I pulled the trigger. He ran straight away from me, down hill through the woods and right into my pond. That was a first!

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a nice buck Ann. Well done.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16344 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Ms. Ann!

Big fun and meat in the freezer!

Posts: 41765 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job! Well done.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Any doe season this year Ann? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sound too obvious, but next time just have them to run to your freezer and save yourself all the hassle of fishing for them.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good show, Ann. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anne,

Well done! It would be quite wonderful to hunt on my own property and close by my home.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12856 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann:

Thanks for the story, helps fill in
the questions.

I like that: "killed him" too, beats
hell out of "took".
Grins!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5940 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Any doe season this year Ann? Be Well, Packy.

Packy,

I passed on several does, fawns, spikes and basket racks the two weeks prior to firearms opening. I also hunt during archery here. Deer numbers are not spectacular around my area as there are lots of hunters. Some shoot every deer they see. Others, like me, take what floats their boat. I generally don't shoot more than one deer a year. I raise sheep, rabbits and chickens and thus have a nice variety of meats in storage.

I'd rather see the does just keep propagating the herd and they are the best bait out there when it comes to firearms season. If I can keep does on my little patch of land I will kill a buck for sure.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Ann:

Thanks for the story, helps fill in
the questions.

I like that: "killed him" too, beats
hell out of "took".
Grins!

George

LOL, George, I am too old now to beat around the bush anymore. I call it like it is. Smiler

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Fine Ms. Ann

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Anyhow, great job Ann!

Actually, she was using a fishing license. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Good job Ann, can you still take an archery buck?
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, L David, still can take a second buck with an archery tag but only AFTER the ten day firearms season ends. I'll be away for Thanksgiving week but I may do some more hunting when I return home. Certainly on nicer days. Archery ends 15 Jan.

Chances are I will tag a yearling if such walks past me during late archery. I passed on everything in early archery. The deer are pretty much under cover and nocturnal now after being shot at all over the county.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
So Ann,

We all want to know what rod, reel and what test line do you use when fishing for deer?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12522 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a comparison photo from my 2019 vs 2020 bucks. I think the 2020 buck is a 3.5 YO deer.

~Ann