New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick’s removing more guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Despite anti gun stance hurting sells. Dick’s CEO announced today that would stop selling firearms at 125 additional locations. Roughly 17 percent of stores no longer have firearm sells.

This is not about cutting non profit sectors.

CEO Stack has made it clear that this action to stop selling firearms is simply about Dicks abandoning the 2nd Admendment, “Thoughts and prayers are not enough. We have to help solve the problem. Gun violence is endemic that is taking too many lives, including our brightest hope for the cute of America, our children.

Do not forget they own Field and Stream as well.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If the CEO believes that guns are the problem, he is a fool.
If he knows better, he is a liar.

In either case, he is bad for the company and if the board of directors lets him keep up the anti gun actions, they will pay for it financially.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick’s has hired a lobbyist to lobby Congress for gun control as well.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Dick's Sporting Goods Plunges on Earnings. Now What?
Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods are getting hammered on Tuesday, but the charts aren't totally destroyed.
Bret Kenwell
Mar 12, 2019 12:58 PM EDT

Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS - Get Report) are getting creamed on Tuesday, closing lower by 11% to $34.60 after the company reported disappointing earnings results. More disappointing, though, is what's happening to the technical setup.

With Tuesday's post-earnings fall, Dick's is crashing through major moving averages and dealing a big blow to its technical outlook.

https://www.thestreet.com/inve...s-now-what--14894361

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making more of your customer base mad is not smart .

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ON the way out, in a year from now or
before they'll be closing stores
like many of the rest: Wards, Sears,
K/mart, and such others.

The sooner the better I'll like it.
They just opened a store here last year.
I haven't been in it and won't.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no use for this retailer. That said, the margin on new firearm sales continues to get thinner and thinner with price pressure from online e-tailers like Bud's and Grabagun -- well into the single digits in some cases. Add in the cost of processing transfers -- and the risk of screwing one up -- and this may actually make bottom-line sense, although it really looks bad to the shooting public.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I was in my local Cabela's yesterday. I asked the three gun counter guys standing around doing nothing about whether a particular red dot sight might work with a SS Ruger MK II. First dummy says, "I use a red dot on my AR!". Great. Thanks for the irrelevance. Second dummy just looks around with a blank face. Third dummy says, "What's a MK II? Is that a semi auto?". Really? Then he proceeds to tell me about drilling and tapping the receiver and I let him know they are dovetailed so scope mounts attach directly. Hence, my question. I said there is a Hawkeye right behind you and he refused to get it down to look. Dummy then said, "You could always superglue a red dot on the rifle, I guess." All three dummies laughed and I went on my way.

Unbelievable.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Remember Sports Authority? They pulled similar crap.. When they first showed up, (pre-Cabelas days). they were hot... lots of guns and related supplies at affordable prices... then they changed... less and less guns, till it became eventually none, then only archery, then that went and only fishing... eventually even their fishing selection sucked.. Eventually they became a "sneaker and sweat suit" store... with some other china-made sports equipment, and we all know where they ended up..

Dick's is headed in the same direction... They have a decent Golfing dept (so I'm told) so that may delay their death, but as far as I am concerned, they are in hospice just waiting for death.. RIP ya big DICKS

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a Dick’s store in our town. Never been in there. Never will...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so, they gonna destroy unsold inventory, like they claimed they did with the AR's ?

or a big clearance sale

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BillC: I do not know the answer to that question.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Our local news ran a generic story a few nights ago about Dick's Sporting goods saying that are they not only getting out of firearms sales but ammunition and ALL hunting related merchandise.
I wish they would have said more but I think that was enough to tell me they are on the way under as a company.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, One local Dallas TV channel carried the same story but with the closing observation that Dicks margins continue a downward slide nationwide.

That made me smile.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
That made me smile.

Wink

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped shopping Dick's when they took out the handguns.

IMO they are mostly a over-priced clothing store for people who spend 100s of dollars on sporting duds.

Good riddance!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick's are Dicks...
Being overtly political in business as they have is a fools game.
Of course the politics are always Leftist
I go out of my way as so many now to not do business with them. I try to shop at Academy.
The CEO is a damn fool and a political piece of Shit..the Board has an obligation to remove him (but apparently they have enough votes on the left to ruin the Company)

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole guns firearms hunting business just sucks.

It makes sense for dicks to move away - it’s good business.

Look at vsto - the business trends for ammo is horrific - so much was overbought for a decade.

Guns are a little better - but again too many guns out there and consumers are over saturated.

Look at aobc stock. Rgr has held in a little better.

Too many guns, too much ammo, bad demographics - even a democratic changes in executive congress will do little to stimulate demand.

Just massively overbought in US on guns and ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quotes from the CEO and hiring a lobbyist for gun control make it clear this is not a dollars decision. This is a political decision.

Dicks sold one of the shooters a gun legally. The shooter did not use that gun, but to use the CEO’s language “could have.”

This caused CEO to have a crisis, and he decided to remove firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The aoutes from the CEO and hiring a lobbyist for gun control make it clear this is not a dollars decision. This is a political decision.

Dicks sold one of the shooters a gun legally. The shooter did not use that gun, but to use the CEO’s language “could have.”

This caused CEO to have a crisis and he decided to remove firearms.

Few big box retailers in the gun business are making money on guns ammo or anything shooting related.

It will be good to see dicks gone. I would not be surprised to see other big box retailers reduce their footprint in guns ammo ect.

It may take 10 years for ammo to get back in balance.

My gut is most ar members have a lifetime of hunting ammo already in stock.

I also think we will see a decline in gun purchases and it will be a long slow decline.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to show all is not lost, I read this week that the NRA school firearms clubs are working (I thin it was in The NY Times). Participation in skeet shooting is being introduced in schools backed by NDA money. New York stage legislators are foaming at the mouth, but so far unsuccessful to garner votes to stop it.

My mother in law just voted and passed a Shooting Team for my high school.

Respectfully, what other big box stores may be doing is not indicative of what Dick’s has done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vsto which basically owns everything from federal ammo to hoppes 9 to savage rifles quarterly earnings call is eye opening.

There is a massive drop of in demand for ammo - years of stockpile in civilians hands. I thought I was the only person but it looks like evey other gun owner has been stockpiling and know is slowly shooting off the stockpile.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you concerning the larger firearm/ammo market.

I disagree that market tend has anything to do with Dick’s position. I say this based on the statements of the CEO, hiring a lobbyist, and destroying inventory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I agree with you concerning the larger firearm/ammo market.

I disagree that market tend has anything to do with Dick’s position. I say this based on the statements of the CEO, hiring a lobbyist, and destroying inventory.

The ceo built the company and has 20 percent ownership and full control. He has $1 bil on the line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_W._Stack

I don’t think he is an idiot. He saw the writing on the wall for DKS in firearm space and his political ideology came out. Money always dominates political ideology. If there were lines to buy a15 he would be selling them and keeping his ideology to himself.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then why did he wait to drop guns starting the week after a shooting and citing that shooting in making that decision?

I could not demurrer too loud if the CEO was simply making a business decision. If he said guns are selling and here is how we are loosing money on selling guns. That is not what happened or is happening.

A Board member has been quoted stating this firearm decision is the equivalent of Dick’s giving money away.

The market trends predate the mass shooting that we both agree allows this decision by the CEO.

The one board member aside, I agree gun business is weak, but the tail is wagging the dog on this. Sometimes folks do tell you what they are doing.

I agree with you if 90 percent of Dick’s sales were guns, he could not make these moves. The facts are shooting allowed him to reject firearms sales (his own eords) and since that decision economic loss to the company has been more than expected. The number I see is a 4 percent drop in sales. Well, looks like he needed that 4 percent sale from firearms. This assumes 4 percent of all sales were firearms and ammo.

I do think Dick’s will survive bc leggings, sweaters, and basketballs will always sell. However, they have to adjust to those lost sells (layoffs?).

I do not claim to be an account or economist. I do know, without details, that a company wakes up loosing 4 percent revenue stream causes issues.

For what it is worth, we do agree with each other about the ideology of the CEO. We disagree with him being an idiot. His emotions have taken control. See his quotes above.

He is banking the good will with buying public for dropping guns will bring more buyers of all the other stuff to make up the loss. I hope he fails. He maybe right. But I do not have to help him be right.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Dicks should change their name to “Dickless”

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ today had a story that they were going to write their own software instead of using third parties. Good luck with that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really? who cares? Shop at your best local gun shop and keep THEM in the business. You'll get better service and they'll be there when you need them.

Just don;t expect Big Box discounts.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like the old Garts we ran themselves under I will take Dicks money and watch them suffer.

When the Garts stores were closing I was buying camping gear and gun stuff doe 10-15 cents on the dollar. I still have my Kennetrecks that I paid $12 for and they were NIB.

My shooting partner at the time went to the biggest store they had where we lived and bought all the bullets in the reloading section for 10 cents on the dollar. (That came to 4 bumper dragging loaded in his Silverado lol)

So when they finally blow it out belo cost I will be there to profit from their stupid and I will openly laughter at them while doing it.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some 3 inch turkey ammo on clearance at dicks.

They have a fair bit more yeti and camping stuff than academy.

I still prefer rei even if they are a little greenie.

I like academy but they are moving away from clearances.

I have bought nearly all the guns I will ever need. Same with fishing gear and I now buy fishing gear in Asia - much better quality than anything in us.

Internet sales have changed the gun business.

Dicks needs to be a golf and apparel and shoe store.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
Really? who cares? Shop at your best local gun shop and keep THEM in the business. You'll get better service and they'll be there when you need them.

Just don;t expect Big Box discounts.

AT
. Well said, plus with any luck you’ll get the wonderful smell of cigars and gun oils at the local places. Dick’s sucks, always has, and always will. What a cultural letdown that place was the first time I entered it.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reasons I care and why we should not do business with Dick’s are these:

1) The CEO is using company funds to hire a lobbyist to push for national legislation limiting firearm ownership.

2) Dick’s through the CEO has and is blaming firearm ownership for mass shooting.

If you want to buy golf clubs from such a business, I can’t stop you. I can tell you what the business is doing that is harmful to firearm ownership.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story...-closing/5009355002/

Dick's Sporting Goods to eliminate gun, hunting departments in 440 stores

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope dicks goes out of business for good .
My favorite place to buy hunting equipment these
Days is sportsman's warehouse. I HEARD that they were going to buy the field and stream stores that dicks had .
I sure hope that happens I am 124 miles from sportsmans
Warehouse now .THERE is no telling what will happen. With this virus shutdown going on now .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dicks also took the fishing dept out .
Hopefully when the looting and shooting
Starts they get their just due .The mongbucu
Tribes will go after their tennis shoes

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good thing! Dick's was never competent enough to trade in firearms.

Now the smaller, specialty shops can get a larger share of market and stay in business.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I see is all these corporate leviathans have smothered the small gun shops. Walmart, Dicks, Bass Pro/Cabelas and their ilk have made the little guy fold up his tent and go home. Now Dicks has quit selling, Walmart has a Fudd gun only policy and Bass Pro & Co sells at retail +10%.
We have four brick and mortar stores in my county and only two of those are worth going to.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Dicks does a great job selling clothing, soccer stuff for the kids, found some weights their along with a workout ball. Glad they are here.

As for guns, never thought about going to Dicks. I have a great gun shop that has everything I have every needed. The owners are very knowledgeable and friendly.

As for fishing, we have another shop dedicated to all fishing needs, Be it bass, salmon, or steelhead. More baits than I ever thought existed.

Did I mention they also repair the prop you polished those rocks with. Roll Eyes

Bottom line? Do as much of your business with your local vendor as possible and let Dicks do what ever they do.......

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote