New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lions In California
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, momma and kittens.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting group. California banned killing them some years back and the population has grown. Several people have been attacked by them. Which is not to say they are overly dangerous, but something running from them, or presenting their back when hiking, hunting, whatever, might tempt an attack. They supposed to be afraid of dogs, and most probably are, but I have a picture of a coyote hauling it, with a mountain lion right on his butt, trying to take him out.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
A family outing.

They are pretty common in Texas outside the big cities, but being nocturnal, are rarely seen.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Momma and 4 kittens. I saw the same thing here in Idaho but she only had 3.

No Tom would hang with them. They are strictly love them and leave them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have seen the same with bears in Wis.

When we had a few bears the DNR would claim twins were rare.

Now with many bears we are regularly seeing litters with 3-4-5.

When the science is base on a period of time where most of the predator's where killed off.

Then when one encore the rest of human history for political reasons.

It is easy to come up with the wrong conclusion.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
They are wiping out the deer population. I have friends who live just south of San Francisco where we had our ranch that no longer deer hunt because there are no deer. At my place on the central coast I had trail cams on my watering troughs and had pics of them regularly within 100 yards of the house. One of my neighbors had one on their Ring door bell cam in their back yard.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The mountain lion population has exploded in CA.

There was a temporary moratorium in acted in ~1972 on hunting them which became permanent ~1992.

However, depredation permits continue to be issued. From 2001 to 2018 over 3500 depredation permits have been issued and over 1700 lions taken for and avg ~196/95 per year.

Breaking this data into 3 six year periods shoes an avg. take/permit of between 42%-54%.

The first 6 year avg # of lions taken 114, middle six 72, last six 118.

This shows a typical impractical approach of "emotional game management" and gov't based on who screams the loudest!.

Lets ban mountain lion hunting. - OKAY

The lions are killing my live stock - OKAY you can kill 200 per year.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SSS

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have pictures of cats just off my deck. See them crossing the roads more and more as the number of deer continue to decline.

Since California banned dogs for bear hunting sightings are common and my fruit trees are a disaster.

It seems California has declared war on the deer population.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
They don't produce coffee table books with deer pictures like they do for for wolves, mountain lions and those other species.
The coffee table book crowd are the ones that to drive legislation.

Posts: 4226 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems California has declared war on the deer population

And on hunting and guns!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:

And on hunting and guns!

You got that right.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
I have pictures of cats just off my deck. See them crossing the roads more and more as the number of deer continue to decline.

Since California banned dogs for bear hunting sightings are common and my fruit trees are a disaster.

It seems California has declared war on the deer population.

When I lived in Scott Valley the bears were a perennial problem in the apple orchards...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you don't hunt big preditors, they lose the fear of man and eat your pets and children, and that's whats happening in CAlibornia with Lions and coyotes..You are now part of the food chain..The road to hell is paved with good intentions/

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:

And on hunting and guns!

You got that right.

CA has declared war on everything but welfare recipients, homeless people, and illegal aliens.....In other words, Democratic voters. rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a rural town in Northern Ca that no longer had any dogs left. The cats ate them all.
SSS was the norm after a sheep ranch lost some ewes. He waited for the cat to come back to the ewe that it hid in one of the trees and killed it.
He called the game warden and the first thing out of the GW's mouth was "We will do an autopsy on the cat. If the stomach contents do not match the DNA of the sheep, you are in big trouble". DNA was positive. That was the last reported dead cat in those parts.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
In Texas, cougars are considered varmints, just like coyotes and feral hogs.
Please shoot them. The cattlemen and exotic game ranchers do not tolerate them.

This policy seems to keep them out of populated areas.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was not a Tom,female and kittens. That was a female with 4 kits. Cougars are cats and with lots of food no predators or stressors a female could have 4 cubs without it being unusual. A Tom in the mix would kill and eat the cubs at any opportunity !

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen enough wild mountain lions in California to state that they are, in fact, very common, although elusive and infrequently seen. When I lived in Palo Alto one was killed by the police in a park in the center of the city. Another was seen rummaging in the dumpster behind a McDonald's in the urban center of a Bay Area city. They eat pets in the suburban areas of greater Los Angeles. On and on... they are common in California.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hasn't the state of california made it illegal to hunt them now? Texas is the only state with a large population of mt. lions where they have no legal protection but they are on the increase here anyway due to not being hunted anymore by bounty hunters as in the past. They are being seen in places here now that they have been absent from for many decades.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Caught another on a trail cam 50 feet off the deck yesterday. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jim, watch your back. I have friends in rural "Jefferson" who won't step outside the house without protection, for good reason -- and I lived there for 50 years.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have wiped out the deer in central California as they are no longer legally hunted. A friend has a 900 acre ranch just south of King City and he showed me a photo of a trail cam at a water trough with two lions drinking from the trough at mid day on a hot July day. Maybe once they start killing cattle or little Fifi in downtown Carmel something might be done. Our deer are gone.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim, watch your back.

Thank you Bill. When working around the house I always carry my 2" 7 round .357.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our deer are gone.

Part of the push to increase the population of large predators is to reduce the number of human hunters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Jim, watch your back.

Thank you Bill. When working around the house I always carry my 2" 7 round .357.

A fine choice along with most firearms.