Find
Notify
Tools

Filling the game feeders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
I've seen the "Blower" powered fillers. I remember seeing a "lift that dumped a certain amount of corn or protein in the feeder. Does anyone have more information? I can't remember the name.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

They're called "kids" they lift one bag at a time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Are you filling spin feeders or free choice protein feeders?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Rusty,

I think you owe me a new keyboard - I laughed with a mouth and nose full of coffee and had to clean the keyboard and monitor.

Kids - you have to love them!

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the feed wagons with the blower hose. Mine are made by Atascosa Wildlife. They are worth the money.

http://www.awsblinds.com/quik-...nch-farm-hunting.php

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We tried one of the blower set ups and it works, but it produces a lot of static electricity at the same time.

After we all got shocked pretty bad a couple of times we quit using it.

On the ranch at Fort Stockton where I did my javelina hunts, the guys that had the lease maintenance contract with the deer hunters used a bulk feed trailer with an auger to fill their protein feeders. They had at least 9, 1 ton free choice protein feeders on the ranch.

We have been switching over to crank up feeders on our corn/spin feeders. Makes life a lot easier.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the exact opposite of Crazy Horse. I have never once been shocked by mine. Augers don't work worth a crap since it grinds up the feed into dust. Dust causes hang-ups in feeders. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a winch up feeder. A guy I used to hunt with got killed messing with one.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Rusty,

ROLFMAO! thanks Frank! I just forwarded a link to this thread to my "kids"! Big Grin

We have three winch up corn feeders, so that's not a problem. We always stay clear of the winch ups until they are on the ground. It's the two 1300 pound protein feeder we have. My son in law gets quite a work out.

It really is a matter of safety as well, standing on a pickup tailgate, lifting bags above your head. It ain't easy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a winch up feeder.

We are phasing out all of our ladder fill feeders. Yes, crank ups can be dangerous if not maintained. One thing I have been doing is replacing the old winches with newer ones that don't have the latch plate but are geared in such a way that you just crank the barrel up or down and no matter which way you are going with it, you can either let go of the crank or if your hand slips off, the barrel stops where it is at, they do not free wheel.

Yes, I have had the older style winches let go and have a permanent kink in the little finger of my right hand from trying to grab the handle of a winch that was free wheeling and had a couple of feed mechanisms destroyed. The problem however is not the design it is one of when the thing was built a cheaper/less durable winch was used.

As for the mention I made of the auger type, I was simply relating what I witnessed one group using. As for the comment about getting shocked, I have talked with others that tried the various blowers and they all complained about getting shocked by the things.

From my observations/experiences and conversations with others, there does not seem to be one totally perfect method or device for filling feeders, they all have various drawbacks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the cable snaps the type of winch doesn't matter. It's not smart to ever get under one but sometimes we take chances. It only takes a split second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I helped a buddy re-fill his feeders a month or so back. It was terribly labor intensive: we put all the bags of corn into the front bucket on his tractor and then I climbed up to the top of the feeder on a folding ladder. He maneuvered the bucket over the feeder barrel, I pulled the strings, and voila! Full feeders.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only had one cable snap. Things like that, at least from my experience come from a couple of problems. One concerns lack of maintenance the other concerns not using a heavy enough cable to begin with.

Besides changing the type of winch we are using, I load the winch or look for winches with cables rated for double or close to it, the weight of the load to be lifted. Our 55 gallon metal barrels filled with 300 pounds of corn and the feeder mechanism with cover in place, I estimate at 400 pounds. That may be high but is definitely reasonable. The cable I get is rated for 600 to 800 pounds, it is more expensive and takes larger pulleys and shackles, but it handles the weight.

As for maintenance I check the cable/pulleys/shackles and all attachments when re-filling feeders. I also oil or spray WD-40 or something similar on the cable spool when we have the feeder cranked down to help keep the cable closer to the spool from rusting. I had noticed that with normal weather patterns, the cable on the inside, next to the spool gets wet and stays that way for days sometimes so rust has a chance to seriously deteriorate it.

Keeping it lubricated has stopped that problem.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My newest feeder has a heavy duty screw drive. I don't have to worry about a safety switch slipping. That screw drive doesn't move until you crank it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, we fill 21 feeders many times a year. Lamco 'varmint proofs' and 5 demand feeders, (21) total. We have a 4 ton Brunton blower wagon. I love the thing. My GF and I can fill all the feeders in less than a day. We fed 54,000 lbs last year. A whole lot easier than bags for sure.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
TKA,
I'm impressed! I just have 66 acres south of Junction. Wish I had a use for the Brunton! That sounds like a great tool!

We have 4 spin feeders and two protein feeders.

Knight Ranch

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I use T&S Trip Hopper feeder filler. No motor, it runs off the truck's 12 volt system. (Need to attach a wire harness to the truck, no big deal).

It's a conveyor belt system that works incredibly well.

Would I buy another one? You bet.

(Stock website photos)
T&S Trip Hopper Feeder Filler

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like the rig the folks use on the ranch at Fort Stockton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you misspoke when you said it doesn't use a motor!!! If it hooks up to the vehicle 12 volt system it obviously has an electric motor to run the conveyor.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
I think you misspoke when you said it doesn't use a motor!!! If it hooks up to the vehicle 12 volt system it obviously has an electric motor to run the conveyor.

I meant no gas powered engine like the others that blow feed.

It has a winch to operate the boom, and two electric motors. One operates the conveyor belt in the boom and one inside the hopper moves feed to the back.

It's a handy device.

By the way, those that blow feed can build up a hell of a static charge! I mean one serious shock too! It could be that any aftermarket adaptations involving pvc or plastic will increase the chance of it though. A good friend has one is had to figure out a ground system because it will knock your socks off!

But, it may be because he added a large PVC pipe to the end. That could be what has caused the static charge to build up.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Exactly why I'm trying to avoid blower feeders. I don't think my pace maker would enjoy a jolt? I sure as hell wouldn't!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an auger type filler. has two clips that go on the atv or pickup battery. Works fine with corn, can't say about protein pellets. Saw it domonstrated at the hunters extravaganza in Houston. The name is badass auger.
Okie I think it was about 800.00

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I still haven't found the apparatus that I was looking for. However I may have found a solution.
It's called feeder filling service. I think I can get the local feed store to come fill the protein feeders for me. I'll let ya know!

And thanks to each of you for your input!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one of my jobs for the boss. Today, with some help I put out 2560 pounds of corn and 1200 pounds of protein and have 6 corn feeders and 3 protein feeders to do tomorrow.

Be at least 1200 more pounds of protein and 1500 to 1800 more pounds of corn.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I still haven't found the apparatus that I was looking for. However I may have found a solution.
It's called feeder filling service. I think I can get the local feed store to come fill the protein feeders for me. I'll let ya know!

Consider that the feeder fillers run $6k +/- that option is a viable one! I have friends in the hunting industry who use a service like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
[QUOTE]

By the way, those that blow feed can build up a hell of a static charge! I mean one serious shock too! It could be that any aftermarket adaptations involving pvc or plastic will increase the chance of it though. A good friend has one is had to figure out a ground system because it will knock your socks off!

But, it may be because he added a large PVC pipe to the end. That could be what has caused the static charge to build up.

I have pumped literally a million plus pounds of feed through air blower wagons and have never been shocked one time. They do have a plastic sleeve over the metal tube. Perhaps that keeps you from getting shocked? The head is made out of plastic so I'm not seeing where the shock comes from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know where the shock comes from and the one we were using had a plastic tube that went into the PVC pipe, no metal, and it would hit you plenty hard.

I have noticed that when filling feeders, either with corn or protein, as the sacks are emptying into the barrel, if I do not keep one hand in contact with the barrel while the sack is emptying, I get a small shock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PVC is what holds the static charge....the high speed corn flowing through the pipe is what can cause the charge to be built.

I just talked to an outfit in Rocksprings about filling the feeders on my place......not looking too bad......

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I have noticed that when filling feeders, either with corn or protein, as the sacks are emptying into the barrel, if I do not keep one hand in contact with the barrel while the sack is emptying, I get a small shock.

You lost me on the sacks and barrel. I have a bulk bin. The feed drops directly into the feed wagon. I don't use sacks and there is no barrel. Why would you use sacks in a feed buggy? Are we talking about the same thing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The discussion is titled, "Filling Game Feeders"! Rusty simply asked a question about options for filling feeders. People were merely relating their experiences with various methods.

The use of "blower" type systems was brought up, which brought up the subject of static electric shocks when using such systems. I merely interjected that when filling the feeders we use, I have noticed that if I don't hold on to the barrel or make contact with it in some manner when filling our feeders that the feed, corn or protein, produces a static ele4ctric charge when the feed is emptying out of the bag.

I really did not understand that this discussion was limited to a set parameter, especially since someone mentioned using grand kids to fill the feeders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it easy CHC! All he's doing is asking a simple question because he didn't quite understand what you were saying. No need to do your typical kneejerk impolite type response, but just merely explain politely that is how you fill your barrels and you're getting a shock just like those using the mechanical ones being mentioned! Then you get your panties all in a wad when a thread takes a wrong turn and blame it on everyone else, LOL!

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

How can you keep from shooting those axis?

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I fill feeders for another hunter as a lease maintenance deal. All I do is fill the feeders, he sets the feed times and duration and it works out pretty well.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Perry,
We will take one in June. These are free roaming. I don't have any fencing on my property. There are high fence pastures on three sides of me. Just want to make sure I keep a viable herd!

Did I mention that the ranch has a walk in cooler? Room enough for 4 deer/axis or hogs!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
someone directed me to this video. I don't think they are still in business.
Quick Fill

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the type feed trailer I use. It has 35 feet of flexible hose to transfer to the feeder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rig. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
M16,
You and Wendell have nice rigs!
Maybe the budget will allow one next year!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
M16, it must be something to do with PVC. The type that shocks my buddy is the same brand as yours, but he added a pvc head to it.

Mystery solved. Just don't add a PVC head to yours.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Rusty,

The only downside of that is the guy that delivers the feed might well have a rifle in his truck. Deer quickly loose their fear of the feeder truck and before you know it some of your prime bucks might start disappearing.

Almost any honest man can change into a poacher the instant he sees the buck of a lifetime.

Just sayin'....

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That could happen, and at one time it would have been a real consideration. In todays world of Game Cameras however that creates a pretty strong deterrent.

Also, folks working out of or with a feed store are looking to build on their business, especially in rural areas.