New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Sheep outfitter Nevada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I won the lottery in Nevada. I am looking for recommendations on a Desert Sheep outfitter.
Any guidance would help.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! beer

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was ridiculously lucky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on filing the tag next.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!!!
I don't have any recommendations for an outfitter but I'm happy you drew a tag.
Awesome critters! I hunted them there in 1983.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Tag. What area will you be hunting?
I keep putting in every year for them and every year it's a no. One of these days though. At least this year I got a Deer tag here in Nevada.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it may depend on the area but I would consider Colby Egge, Silver State Guides

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Navaulk! I have heard Adam Bronson is very good but not sure if he guides down there.

My friend drew Nevada as well, for Desert Sheep. He had 26 points but the odds were still very tough.

I drew Desert Sheep in Utah and am looking forward to the hunt. Time for both of us to get in shape ha ha.....

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
I drew Desert Sheep in Utah and am looking forward to the hunt.

Congratulations to you as well, Jason! beer

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. What area did you draw?

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think it would depend, to a great extent, on what area you drew. Years ago I was lucky enough to draw and I looked at outfitters that knew the area EXTREMELY well. Give Mark Young a call, he lives out there and might be able to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
18 points U268. I think I have it figured out.
Non res moose in Wy and non res Desert in NV, this year. I must be doing something right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
18 points U268. I think I have it figured out.
Non res moose in Wy and non res Desert in NV, this year. I must be doing something right.

Wow! This will be a year to remember!
Congrats,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
U268

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! Go buy a lottery ticket!!! Congratulations!

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There are some very good sheep guides in Nevada. You drew one of the very best units and 268 has about the highest sheep population in the state. It’s a great unit. A couple good guides that come to mind include Cary Jellison, G&J Outfitters and Victor Trujillo of Borrego Outfitters. You can kill a B&C ram in that unit if you stay off the trigger. Adam Bronson killed a nice ram in 268, but I don’t know if he’s licensed to guide in Nevada.

Desert Sheep hunts are great fun, you’re going to have a great time.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the tag. I messaged you the cell number to the best sheep guide in the state

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. I am all set. Also, I never received any message etc. I am not a computer person, so I am certain I did or did not due something that caused this. Thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Who did you end up booking with?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silver State

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LivingTheDream1:
Wow!! Go buy a lottery ticket!!! Congratulations!

This is BAD advice! He's already burned through a couple lifetimes of luck!!!! LOL

Best,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

What great memories I made this fall. Not all "good" but certainly all "great".

As indicated, I drew a Wyoming Nonresident Moose tag. That was my effort to draw something and get out of Wyoming with their new nonresident Big-3 rules. I applied to a weak area in the hopes of getting to hunt a moose. I drew Unit 20. I saw 4 small bulls and one "bigger" one. I shot the bigger one. Not a high moose population. The interesting thing was that when we started to gut this otherwise healthy-looking bull, we saw white beads in the meat. They were about 4 buck size on average. I had shot a WT in north central Idaho a decade ago that had the same thing. I immediately said %$%&# this thing is ruined; it is going to be full of worms from ears to ankles. A call to their Fish and Game office in Jackson confirmed it. The meat was a total loss. Unless I wanted to eat tapeworms. Even well-cooked I am too modern and soft to eat tapeworm meat. I got the head and horns. The officer said this was the third known case. Hell, I have killed 2 myself.

It was still a fun horseback hunt and I got to hunt a Shira which is what I wanted. If I hunted for meat, I would have been more upset, but I hunt to have hunted, period.

Then of course I drew a nonresident Desert Sheep Ram tag in Nevada's unit 268.
I hired Silver State and took my brother with. It was fantastic. I had never hunted in that type of desert environment. It is like the desert of the polar icepack versus the Sahel desert. Very little game. With 2 guides and two people we saw very little wildlife beyond sheep. 3 horses, 1 democrat (donkey), 1 jackrabbit, a couple tarantulas, a dead sidewinder and a handful of Kit Fox in over 6 days of hunting.

Sheep? Oh, hell yes. We saw 70 Rams!!! We probably saw more but I tried to keep track of new rams not repeats. Day 1 we saw 35 Rams. Two hours into day one, we hiked into one and I thought I would definitely shoot him on the last day if I saw him again. He was heavy, but shorter than I like, plus he was tight to his head and broomed off quite a bit. Plus, it was day one, we had seen 15 rams in 2 hours. I was going to keep hunting unless we stumbled on a BC ram. A difficult decision at the time, turned out to be the right one for me.
We hunted 6 days before I decided to shoot. We never found a BC ram, but I shot the probably the biggest and certainly the prettiest ram we saw. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that I didn't shoot that ram 2 hours in on day 1. I saw fantastic country, six days of sunrises and 5 days of sunsets while hunting desert sheep. Holy crap what a trip. Silver State are impeccable hunters. As the days went on, they sent out additional guides to help spot, including Wayne and Colby. I can count on no fingers how many outfitters that I have seen do that. They were going to find a ram I liked, period. As an example, on day 6 Colby and 3 other guides were hard at it finding sheep and they put me on the one I killed. Hunting in 16 states and 6 countries, I have never seen better effort.
I am also very happy I brought my brother. We had a great time and I have a witness to how much hunting can be packed into 6 days.

I have the life-size sheep hide and will be selling it. Too much taxidermy. My home and office are overflowing. Need to find out if it goes best in taxidermy or sales forums.

I have pictures, but no teenager to help me. I can email or text if anyone wants to see something including on one end wormy moose meat and on the other a ram killed in his bed.

Nevada has been great to me. Hopefully next spring they will let me hunt a Californian. I like the sound of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sheep? Oh, hell yes. We saw 70 Rams

Sounds like they need to issue more tags.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Sheep? Oh, hell yes. We saw 70 Rams

Sounds like they need to issue more tags.

Nice impression of a know-it-all fish cop from a high volume white tail deer state.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Navaluk! Sounds like you had a great time. My friend just returned from a desert sheep hunt (Nevada) as well. He saw a lot of rams too. Sounds like the fish and game is doing a great job.

My recent desert sheep hunt was my favorite hunt.

Glad you were able to take a nice ram.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Area 268 has the largest herd of Desert bighorn sheep in Nevada. THe department of wildlife recognizes the potential for disease transmission and habitat damage from such a large sheep population and current drought conditions. As such, they issued 42 ram tags(37 resident + 5 non-resident) and 85 ewe tags(76 resident plus 9 non-resident) tags in 2021 with similar numbers this year. It is a magical area to hunt the potential to take a monster every year. I'll be there the 13th of this month assisting a close friend who was luck enough to draw a PIW (partnership in Wildlife) tag which allows him to hunt in any area in Nevada save 4.
A hunt in this unit is almost mandatory for such a tag.

Posts: 85 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nevadaj Don't forget the 1 Horn ram tags. We saw a great one and saw people scouting for the tag later this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone (smarter than me) needs to step up and Navaluk can email pics to them and they can post them here.

I've been awaiting this success post!

HUGE congratulations, Mr Nuvaluk, on a couple successful hunts!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Navaluk
I didn't forget, just didn't get lucky in that draw. I saw one of the the largest rams of my life in 268, if he would have had 2 horns. An honest 180" type ram.

Posts: 85 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

bb code image hosting

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful sheep! Congratulations!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you picked the right outfitter. One that gave you true value in your hunting experience.

Huge congratulations and thanks for posting!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your ram is a stud!!! Really unbelievable!!! Congratulations, hoping to draw that tag one day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That ram is stunning, big congrats on a beautiful sheep!!!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Biebs for posting the pictures. They would not be here without his help.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That’s a really nice ram, congratulations!

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great ram!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote