Notify
Tools

pac boot question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Whites Elk Guide or Hoffman Voyager?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Schnee 16" pac boot. Air bob sole and the best pac boot I've ever owned.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'e got the 12" and I agree the best boot .

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 423 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Hoffman. I think that the footbed is stiffer in them than the other brands (Whites, Schees, Kenetrek). I prefer that for climbing.

If you are hunting mountain country, the Hoffman Outback is a great boot. That is the one I went with for better ankle support.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 12" Schnee`s.Good stuff.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Setting aside "fit" issues, then it depends on where and how you use them. For flat Midwest hunting or any short walk tree stand type hunts, whichever fits best are best. For where I hunt, long walks, up, down and side hill, with pack, (north central idaho) I use Hoffman Outbacks. Without you telling us which fit better, and how and where you are going to use them, all our opinions are sort of worthless as to which will likely fit your need best.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Maine. Ridges to flats to swamps. Pretty wide variety. Haven't tried any on. But definitely need a pair of boots. Pretty normal feet.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I wear Schnees while I am up in Maine.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All feet are different. You need to try them on and see how they feel.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Live in NH, hunt swamps and woodlands (damn near ALL of NH is woodland) in the mid-southern region, to fractured granite ridges and slopes in the White Mtns.
No tree stands - mostly still hunting. I was given a pair of Schnee 12" for Christmas 2013, by my brother who guides in MT and has long sworn by them.

If my scenarios sound similar to yours, consider this an up vote for the Schnee's. I wore them exclusively this past deer season. Did not look back. Support
is great, bob sole grips well and shed mud/snow too. I also just finished cleaning up the latest 18" of snow from today, in 8 degree temps and howling wind.
My eye lashes are still de-icing, but my feet have no complaints. Both dry and warm, despite wading around in snow up to...well, where snow has no business being.

Oh, and while my feet are also normal of length (10.5), they are fatter than Hillary's thighs (EEE).

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
All the boots mentioned are great boots, but very expensive. I use and recommend a simple pair of "Muck" boots by Bogg or Muck. I use them for pheasant, deer and elk in Wyoming. At $130 and change, they are great.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Mucks too but mostly on fairly level ground. I wouldn't choose them for mountain duty. I don't know what hunting in Maine is like, but Mucks are the best $99 I ever spent on footwear.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I am still wearing an old pair of Hoffmans that I bought in Kalispell a long time ago. Whatever brand you pick, soles are equally important. I would not buy any pac boots for snow/winter use unless they have an airbob style sole.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like "Muck" boots to. However.... They really lack in arch support. They dont fit in stirrups
well either. The Schnee's Western Packer is my pick of Pac boots.

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I replace the insole on my Muck boots to improve fit. But I wouldn't recommend them for mountain or horseback use under normal circumstances.