Notify
Tools

AZ Outfitter Missing in NM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
I'm posting this for Don:

For those of you that haven't heard, my friend Larry Heathington, the owner of Sheep Limited, who lives in Williams has been missing since Friday, September 11th.

Larry was suppose to meet two clients on Friday in New Mexico to go on a private lands antelope hunt, and when his cousin last spoke to him he was two hours from Secorro.

He hasn't been heard from since Thursday afternoon.

Larry was in his gray Ford F-350 Super Duty, towing his Jeep (photo attached) Sahara.

A missing person's report has been made with the Holbrook, AZ Police Department as someone close to Larry said they had seen his truck/jeep on Monday in Holbrook.

I will attach a photo of Larry on this post, and please, we are very concerned about this situation and fear for Larry's safety. If you know Larry, you know it is not like him to not show up where and when he is suppose to.

If you know ANYTHING about where Larry is, or have seen his vehicles please contact the Holbrook PD or call me at 928-681-4867.

Thank you,

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I hope he is found safe and healthy. Curious, has anyone heard from his clients or are they also missing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not positive of this, but I'm guessing the reason they knew Larry went missing was because the clients contacted someone to see why he hadn't shown up yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it is just a case of miscommunication.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don just posted it today on Monster Mulies. So miscommunication for almost a week isn't too likely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not good news, I'm afraid.
People who are OK communicate. He hasn't called anyone, from what I gather.
Sorry to hear this.
Thanks for the posting Tony.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry's Jeep

Larry on the right:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Praying he is found in good health!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
2 hours out of Seccoro would put him just out Gallup, NM. Thats another 1.5 from Holbrook. There is alot of nothing between all those locations if he took I-40. I will pray for his safe return.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the strange part is he was just north of Socorro LAST THURS. when he spoke to his cousin. Then his vehicle(s) was allegedly seen in Holbrook on Mon. So either he went backwards or someone else had the truck. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Credit, Debit, ATM card activity????

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, crossposted to our forum and all the hunting & fishing forums I know of. Let's find Larry.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jesse. That's what we need.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Yeah, but the strange part is he was just north of Socorro LAST THURS. when he spoke to his cousin. Then his vehicle(s) was allegedly seen in Holbrook on Mon. So either he went backwards or someone else had the truck. Confused

I agree Tony. Being in LE myself it makes me suspect foul play. I do not know the gentleman or his habits but I assume this is not like him to do this and not stay in touch with family. If thats the case I pray its not foul play but it sure sounds like it to me or a medical problem.

Surely by now though someone would have found his vehicle in Holbrook if it was parked or abandoned, towns not that big. There is alot of exits that go toward the reservation and like I said, alot of nothing.

I does smell of foul play though.

I am sure Coconino County has tried to ping his cell and they would get his location if it was on. I am also sure they have got a flag on all his accounts.

I am sure his other friends are driving the route themselves looking. I will continue to pray for his safe return.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyNameIsEarl:

Surely by now though someone would have found his vehicle in Holbrook if it was parked or abandoned, towns not that big. There is alot of exits that go toward the reservation and like I said, alot of nothing.

Of course, there's also the chance that the vehicle being seen in Holbrook on Mon. was erroneous.

Either way, though, there has still been no contact or clues, as far as I have heard yet.

But if I hear something, I'll certainly let folks here know about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope he's found and is OK!

Sadly, there are lots of ways to find one's self in difficulty.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest update just posted by Don:

OK, here is where we are at.
Larry spoke to several folks on Friday the 11th. One was Jim Mahac and around 3 p.m. he spoke with his son Kevin. He told Kevin he was about 20 miles from Socorro( SP?)

He was suppose to pick up his hunters at 5 p.m. at the airport in Socorro and never showed. So they know the time element that he went missing is from 3-5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 11th.

A lady whose husband has worked for Larry saw his vehicles ( both of them) in the parking lot of Safeway in Holbrook on Monday, Sept. 14th. She thought it strange he was there so she tried to text Larry. Subsequently she got a call from Larry's office saying he was missing so she turned around and went back. The vehicles were gone, and she didn't see anyone around them. A check of the store's inside surveillance revealed nothing. Too bad of quality to make out anything or anyone.

No outside store surveillance.

Lady is absolutely sure it was Larry's two rigs, still hooked up.

So that's all we know as of right now.

By the way, the contacts for investigators on this matter is Sgt. Jason Lurkins, Coconino S.O 928-310-8889, and Det. Larry Thomas 928-226-5032.

The vehicle info for Larry's truck is a 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty, diesel, dark gray, with AZ license plates CD-32204.

Thanks for all the help guys, I know it doesn't look good at this point, but we got to keep trying.

Don Martin

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I posted it on www.arizonashooting.com for more local exposure.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Very strange indeed! My brother works for APS in Holbrook and I forwarded him the information to get out to all those guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, folks, Larry has been found. Here's the latest from Don:

I don't have all the details, but I just personally spoke with Larry and he said he was almost home. Said he was robbed and knocked unconscious..
Larry was waiting to meet some officers.

Than you, thank you for all your help and prayers. Thank God he is alive!

Don Martin

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good news.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Glad he is safe, now.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I hope I'm wrong, and I dunno the guy but it sounds damn suspicious to me. You don't get knocked unconscious for a week and suddenly pop up........unless he helped the black out with alcohol or something similar.

If he's been in a hospital for the last week in a coma, my apologies in advance.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

you are right, you don't know the guy.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may not know him, but unless he was in a hospital or has some serious medical condition like a brain tumor causing blackouts, I'll bet on some variation of my version.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm wrong but it definitely sounds fishy.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't there and haven't heard any of the details. So rather than speculate about some nefarious scenario, I'll wait until the story comes out.

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Well, I hope I'm wrong, and I dunno the guy but it sounds damn suspicious to me. You don't get knocked unconscious for a week and suddenly pop up........unless he helped the black out with alcohol or something similar.

If he's been in a hospital for the last week in a coma, my apologies in advance.
What is so hard to believe? If someone with a gun came up behind you and took you in your truck down a forest road and them beat you over the head and left you for dead, it could take you a few days to find your way out and get to a phone. How long would it take to walk out 50 or 100 miles? Especially if you don't know which way to the highway and which way is deeper into the forest or further onto the Indian Rez.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
As fun as guessing how many miles into the res. he was when he was dumped, why don't we all take a deep breath and wait for the facts. I don't think any of us should speculate but to be fair how is a theory that he went on a 3-4 day drunk any more or less unlikely then being drove 100 miles into a reservation and clubbed and dumped? I hope it was a robbery and that Gato is way off base,(nothing against Gato, just hope the man's story is legit) but I'll wait for a few more facts before I ride blindly to the defense of a guy I've never even heard of before Thursday.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
why don't we all take a deep breath and wait for the facts.

+1

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony I hope he is OK and everything turns out good.

PS. to The Slug...

Also, I AM PERSONAL friends with THE FOURTEENTH DALAI LAMA, HIS HOLINESS TENZIN GYATSO,HE IS a very insightful person.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Well, he's alive and thank goodness for that. The details are between him and his family, as far as I'm concerned.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wow...pretty amazing...guys goes missing for what appears to be a week...of course there is no information as to whether it was only 3 or 4 days but information didn't get circulated for another 3 or 4 more days.

Yet of course we already have people speculating that this individual whose reputation to date seems to have been quite upstanding might be trying to pull something off.

Unbelievable...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Mr Heathington would seem to have a pretty impressive resume when it comes to the outdoors:

http://www.xtremedestinations.net/larry.html
quote:
Larry Heathington was born and raised in Arizona but spent his life living in the "Xtreme". His accomplishments include a combat tour in Vietnam, white water rafting on the Salmon, Colorado and Yangtzee rivers. He has ridden horseback in wild, remote country from Mongolia to Montana, he has been backpacking in mountainous terrain from the Rockies of the USA and Canada to the Hindu Kush on the Marco Polo Trail.

Heathington has guided and outfitted hundreds of Xtreme outings from Asia to Mexico. He became deeply involved in the Arizona Outfitter Guide Industry in the early 1970s. That ultimately led to later expeditions; taking ambassadors, conservationists, editors, publishers, and sportsmen all over the globe: Asia, Africa, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, and most of the Western United States. Most of these clients either were, or still are the leading wildlife conservationists in the world. Larry has been to your desired destination and knows the ins-and-outs of world travel in an ever-changing global economy.

Heathington is internationally known as a wildlife professional with years of experience in wildlife and wildlife conservation. He will personally be present on any wildlife related tours and will assist guests in locating and photographing wildlife in a safe and appropriate manner from Africa to Arizona.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is Larry's operation.

Sheep Ltd.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is Larry's operation.
Tony, I saw that website too. You are not thinking that the xtremedestinations is not the same guy, are you? ("Xtreme Destinations is a division of Sheep Ltd LLC")

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, not at all, Bill. But it's kinda of a 2nd little venture that doesn't amount to much compared to his big-game guiding business. That one is mostly tourism-oriented.

Over the years, Larry has guided many high-profile people for many record book critters. Larry was basically Robert Petersen's (Petersen's Hunting) personal guide and often attended banquets in person to bid on Governor's tags for Petersen and others.

In fact, the last time I spoke to Larry was a few years ago at an AZ Elk Society banquet. We were at the same table with a couple AZ G&F commissioners. While bidding during the auction, Larry was on a cell phone with Petersen.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a story on this forum.

I for one am glad he is ok. Also I am looking forward to "the rest of the story". Who bonked him in the head when and where? And will the law catch up with the bad guys? Please keep us posted.

tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear he is fine and am interested in the rest of the story as well. I know some will say that's none of anyone's business, and I can respect that. But since law enforcement was involved, the situation does invite itself to at least limited public exposure.

Did any of the local/area media cover it?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I am just south of Coconino County and there was not a whisper in our local news or state news but I am not sure about local media in that county.