Find
Notify
Tools

South Alabama turkey hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted
I had the honor and privilege to hunt two spectacular properties down south last week. My long time hunting buddy & I set off from north Alabama for the three & a half hour drive down to Wilcox & Lowndes counties. The two properties belong to two separate families which are friends of ours. Both farms are extremely well managed for deer & turkey and it is always a joy to see new ground. This is pine country with big mature hardwood bottoms.

We hunted hard the first two days, working gobblers, but not connecting. We then moved over a county and hunted a couple more days.

On the last morning I finally found a turkey that wanted to play and called in a nice old swamp gobbler. It was just icing on the cake for a wonderful time visiting friends and spending time on their fabulous farms.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your bird!
There is something magical about hunting new ground.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bird and visits etc.
"mature pine woods" Looks more like a Fg
jungle to me! Yep, always enjoyable to wander around in new areas, especially with friends.

Am happy for you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote