Find
Notify
Tools

elk rifles again
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Ok guys, this has probably been done before, but for the sake of any new readers & for my own curiousity:
I drew my tag for elk/deer in MOntana this year. Since I have to travel (nonres.) I take (2) rifles; a Ruger M77, Lam. stock in .338-06/210gr NP & a Ruger #1 in 7mm Dakota/160gr NP. Both wear Leup. VXIII in 2.5x8. I only get to hunt for a week so I shy away from the .270/.308 class of cartridge (I want the little extra whack). What is everyone else using this year & why?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
I'm taking my Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester 30-06 because it's acurate, reliable and with a 165gr Nosler Partition will drop an elk with out any problem. I know everyone says use the 180gr but my rifle likes the 165gr better.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted for several years with a 338 Imperial Magnum (338/404). I shoot a 225 grain Barnes XLC bullets at about 3100 fps. I have had a Shepherd scope on the rifle since it was finished. I use this rifle because it shoots so well that I have a great deal of confidence in myself when carrying it.(When I shot things fall down)
Good luck on your hunt.
Steve

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 04-25-2001).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Deadmarsh>
posted
I carry a .35 Whelen single-shot topped with a Leupold Vari-III 1.75-6X. I use 250 grain Nosler Partitions @ 2650fps -- this is a solid performer to 250 yards with excellent results. In twenty years hunting elk, I've never needed to take a shot over 200 yards from my setups and stalks...good luck

Dead

one of us
posted Hide Post
358 Norma mag with 250 speer grand slam or Noslet p/t at 2850 fps. body slams them.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a McMillian .338 win with a Swarovski 1.5-6x42. Standard load is a Swift 225gr at 2820fps. May change to North Fork's if things work out.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Good afternoon, I'll hunt elk twice this year. The first in south central Oregon where shots will be in dense old growth timber at less than 100 yards. Last year's elk was taken at 40. I will continue to use a 30-06, 180 grain. The second week will be in northern Colarado in a area with the potential for 300+ yard shots. My 340 Weatherby, 225 grain, is great at these ranges. Both are perfect for elk, under different conditions. Both use 2.5x8 leupolds. good hunting.

<phurley>
posted
Fred -- I presently use a .340 Wby with 225 gr. Barnes XLC bullets at 3150 fps with excellent accuracy. I hunted for years with a .300 win mag. and 180 gr. Nosler Partitions with great success. I am working on a .358 STA that will shoot comparable bullets approx. 200 fps faster that a .375 H&H, the accuracy seems to be up to snuff so far. The key is to place the bullet well with whatever you shoot. Good Shooting.

<JMeier>
posted
The two elk rifles that I will use this year are a Win M70 Classic Stainless in 375H&H with a Leupold 1.75-6E, shooting 270gr Barnes XLC's. My back up will be a Ruger M77 MkII Stainless in 338win, Leupold 3-9, shooting 225gr XLC's.

JMeier

<X-Ring>
posted
fredj338
First off congrats on the tag!
I live here in MT. My rifle of choice for Elk is my .338 win mag M77. Thats what I will carie this year like all the years before. Unless I find a way to buy that 416 Rigby I want. I would just have to try it out on Wapiti!
The best advise I could give you is don't get hung up on this Cal. or that Cal. Just figure out which rifle you are most confident with, and come kill a nice Elk! Most of my Elk have been killed with my old .308 win. at lots of different ranges. So both of your rifles will do a great job.

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Fred:

I have to echo X-ring:

"The best advise I could give you is don't get hung up on this Cal. or that Cal. Just figure out which rifle you are most confident with."

I grew up hunting elk in north-central Colorado. My dad always used his .30-06, and as a kid, I used a .280 Remington. Both did a good job under the conditions in the area we hunted. (fairly open, shots generally under 150 yards). I have used a .375 H&H either No 1 or M70 for the last 15 years, not so much because the power is needed, but that it is sometimes fun to dream that you are hunting in Africa instead of your own back yard.

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I don't see alot of "small" bore guys. I have been fortunate to hunt Montana several times in the past & have taken an elk w/ each rifle. I was just curious what everyone else is using. Good luck to everyone this season!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my first hunt out west. Going to take a 338 Hawk on a VZ24 action with a Leupold 2.5-8 VXII. Either a 210 Nosler or a 230 Hawk.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<IDkTm>
posted
For elk will either use a custom Springlfield 30-06 with 180gr. Speer Grand Slam reloads or a new 300 WSM if I can find one and decide I need to buy it. One of these days I will buy one, but it needs to fit in with my other priorities etc. I have to live on my college budget.
For deer I'll use my 7mm-08 Remington Mnt. Rifle with 145 grain Speer reloads mainly and maybe an old open site 30-30 Winchester if I have to be a driver in the timber on a few hunts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For elk, I'm still using the same old model 70 in 7mm magnum. It refuses to loosen up groups so I'll have an excuse to pillar-bed it.

Eighteen years of the same gun, used when I got it...

Tom

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey,
I take my .30GIBBS and a .338 Built by David Gentry.I use a 180 Partion in the Gibbs.I use 200/225 grain bullets in the 338.I'm sure all the choices mentioned will do their job,and it's fun to have choices.
1Geejay

www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in the black timber in some dark hole God forsaken spot where I don't want to be but that is where the big boys go after the first shot of the season and I will shoot him up the arse and push his nose into the ground with my 338 Win and a 250 gr. Northfork bullet or something of that ilk, maybe the 300 gr. Woodleigh...

fact is I have seen too many elk wounded with the 30-06 and 270 because the hunters won't or can't pick there shot..With a 338, 9.3x62, 375 or something simular you can pretty well take them as they come with a proper bullet...You notice the locals have moved into the bigger guns these days...Even your better guides are going to the 338's or so it seems to me and I get around in thoes circles pretty well...

If you can't handle the recoil then go with the 30-06 and 200 or 220 Noslers...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
1GeeJay
Is that the David Gentry from up here in MT? If it is he sure does nice work. I have not met him yet, but have admired some of his work.

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used my .300 H&H with 180 Scirrocos last year. Will probably use the .338-06 M70, 2.5-8X Leupold in Talley's. With either 225 or 250 partitions this season.
Unless I tag out during bow season with my recurve!!

FN

Hey X-ring.....Great weather lately Huh?? Think winter may finally be over??

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll be using my trusty 300mag with either 180gr Fail Safes or 200gr Noslers. Also have my wildcat 33 G&A that loves the 230gr Fail Safe. Which one I'll carry will depend on my mood that day! Both have done the business many times so all I need to worry about is my end of the bargain!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
I have been hunting Bull Elk for only three years. I am yet to kill one. However, I am like you. I take two rifles. This year, I will be shooting a .300 Win Mag with 180 gr. Sierra BTSP's. My back-up will be a 7mm STW with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions. Just use the rifle that you are the most comfortable with. Good luck...Elk hunting is hard work. Corey

one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
Weatherby rifle in .338-.378 with 250 grain Noslers---hunting Montana this year...

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Got a .270, .338-06imp and a .375, and I'd not hesitate to use any one of them, and have, but let's face it; if you can't do it with a .30-06, 180gr Nosler (good power, good trajectory) it's probably beyond the reach of most 'hunters.' So, Fred, your .338-06 should be just the ticket! Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The last couple of bulls I took were with a 338 Win Mag. This year I may use a Win 70 stainless 338-06 (2X7 Leupold & 22" barrel fluted by my local smith Dave Gentry... I'm quite fortunate!)) or I may get a 300 WSM... then again I may build a 375 H&H. Heck, I'm not deceived... a 30-06 would do everything for me, but it's sooo boring!

Brad