Notify
Tools

New World Record Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n283/mgray34/IMG_0744_11.jpg

A friend of mine sent this to me. Anybody know anything about it?

Supposedly killed with a bow in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.
Green Score 575" and net 530". Spread 79".

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Holy giant bullelk, Batman! Eeker

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the most impressive free range elk I have ever seen a picture of. Totally Awesome!!

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Absolutely incredible.

I want to hear the whole story on this ol' boy.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn!!!!!! clap

That would be some chore to pack out those antlers, but what a pleasure!!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW...
waaaayyyy beyond a royal, what the H do you call something like that????

also

WHAT will THAT little trophy be worth in $$$$$$ to the antler collectors?

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent! (That's what you call it ;>Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely incredible. I have seen a 452 green scored bull and to think that this bull somehow was able to produce another 10 feet of antler ... just has to be a nuke plant around close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome I just wonder how many steroids and high fences it took to raise an animal like that. (its too bad that I have to question most big animals that come from across the border). I call a big bs on that bull probaly not natural, but if it is then right on.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schmaus,
Is it impossible for this to be a wild bull? Isn't the SBW one of the most remote and rugged Nat'l Forests we have and as a result their elk herd is sought?
I have never seen an elk that big or even close! Farm raised or not that is one fantastic animal.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA DEER HUNTER:

Eeker Eeker
Woow !
Awesome !

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that this Elk came from one of the Ranches in Alberta or Saskatchewan. They have some awsome Bulls on these ranches!!! No way that bull grew those kind of antlers in that area without some mega feed and care!!!

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that wolves (and other things) have really cut that herd down, but not so long ago that herd was one of the best. There were about 60,000 elk in those three units and it was noted for the number of mature bulls.

Years ago I back-packed in just to see the country for two weeks one august. We hunted it about a month later. One of my partners missed a 4 pt. and another scored on a 5x5. Yet, it was obvious why so many mature bulls: A huge wildderness area. Very inaccessible except by horse back. Very steep/deep drainages w/ very heavy cover on every north facing slope.

The Bob Marshall in MT was much the same way. If there is any public land in the country that will hold bulls like this, these are the places.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is true so be it. I need to see the rest of th story.

Looks photo shopped to me.

But then I could be wrong or right.

No guns or bows or blood just doesn't look right to me.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
My .20c

The bull looks too "clean" for it to be in the wild. Too big for that par of the world, unless its vet knows B.Bonds/Anderson.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been floating around my email circle since 9/27. Apparently shot here on the Montana side of the wilderness and that could be a pile of BS bull. I have not even found anything in the papers or on the web to substantiate any truth to the story Frowner

I do believe it is a magnificient animal, but I agree with those who think it is a farm raised animal.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WONDER if it is a tranquilized farm animal photoshopped into the woods scene?

Agree, it is waaaayyy too clean for a bow/rifled animal unless they went to extreme measures to clean it for the picture.. but there is NOTHING on the ground around it, not a hint of blood anywhere in sight.
They would have to clean the animal then MOVE IT to a new spot to get so blood free.
only other explanation is it died of internal bleeding in the intestines and never got the blood into the lungs or diaphram, and the arrow plugged the hole so it was all internal.
but again there are no thrashing marks ont he ground in fact the ground isn't even chewed where the antlers would have dug in or SOMETHING would be disturbed.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It'll take a lot of convincing - more than that photo, in any case - for me to believe that's a free range elk.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I hope that very soon the "rest of the story" comes out. In my heart-of-heart I hope that this elk was taken fair and square.

Why is it that we only get one photo of these sort of things and real skimpy details. Or the story gets real vague about some important details? Had I shot a bull like that I'd be running around screaming my head off about it. I once shot a very nice whitetail (scored 174). My hunting partner was a Wyoming Game Warden who witnessed it, we took a number of photos, I showed it off to everybody while still in the back of my truck, and 20 years later I'm still reliving the experience.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt Norman, a 'very nice' whitetail?? 174--that's awesome. I'd still be reliving it 20 years later too!

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
There is quite a lack of information about this elk on the internet, but here are two more pictures to give another perspective.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, if it's possible those pics make that bull look even more incredible! Different fellow in the pics I notice though. What a bunch of bone!

One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
It seems to me there is more than 45" worth of deductions. But I could be wrong.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
When that "thing" escaped from the ranch someone must have said: "let him decide how to die..." Big Grin Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has answered my question? Can an elk get this big in the wild or is it really impossible? Would their native forage not have the protien? I have seen one, huge free roaming whitetail in my life but nothing like you see the commercial operations growing. Is this a similar situation?

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Last month (Sept.) my brother called me and told me a story about a buddy of his that "guided" a guy to a mid 500" bull. I think these pictures may be that bull.
The hunt was on a high fence place and the cost was right at $100K. I can't remember if my brother said it was Colorado or Idaho where this occured. Farm raised or not it would seem highly unlikely that two different bulls of this size would be killed in the same month and year.
My brother is working out of state so I put a call in to him this morning and will get more info on his story and maybe see if they are one and the same. Sometimes takes my brother a day or two to get back to me as I said he is working out of state right now.
I have a feeling that they are the same story.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any final word on the truth about this bull? I live in Kalispell, MT and would think a bull this big would have created a stir.

Ski+3

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
IF -- and that's a BIG IF -- this elk is legit and not a product of PS, it's quite possible it came off an elk farm that I've visited a couple times while traveling south thru the Bitterroot valley. If I recall, it's just across the MT border in ID south of Darby, MT. The river in the background could very well be the Bitterroot. BUT...that certainly isn't within the Wilderness area. It's actually only a few hundred yards off the main highway and consists of many fenced pens.

Also, because of the somewhat strange antler confirmation on the right side, it almost appears as if it MIGHT be a cross between an elk and red stag. But that's only pure speculation. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look familiar?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same deal as with the apparent new world record red stag, shot in Hungary or the Czech Republic. A wee while after the kill was published, photos appeared of the exact same stag, in velvet, in a little holding pen.

[edited] Ah, Bulgaria, see:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/703102845

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhilips,

Duh! Good find. Now clear up the "where" mystery, please? -TONY

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
DPhillips,

I'd say you pretty much nailed that one. Are you going to keep us in suspense as to where it came from?

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Another internet "myth" exposed. Actually that "elk" looks more like a Red Stag cross. No Idaho Elk would have a coat like that, even in the spring or early summer.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got those pictures emailed to me from member of Nosler Reloading's site. His email was from someone who had bought semen from this bull (Samuari) for his stock. The animal was from a Canadian ranch. I do not know which Province or town...

one of us
posted Hide Post
From a "man on the street" interview:

And what do you do for a living, sir?

I'm a professional elk semen gatherer, eh.

Wow, that must be a tough job.

No, it's actually very easy, eh. My business partner and I just dress like a cow elk and take turns bending over, eh.

-TONY

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
So how much does one pay to shoot a fraudulent monster bull such as the one pictured? What a COMPLETE lack of ethics on the parts of both the shooter and the one who raised the beast! Mad

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got those pictures emailed to me from member of Nosler Reloading's site. His email was from someone who had bought semen from this bull (Samuari) for his stock. The animal was from a Canadian ranch. I do not know which Province or town...

JJHack posted this outfit as the home of the photo on another forum.
http://www.pinemountainoutfitters.com/index.php

They quote shooting breeder bulls on special request $15K to $60K!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a hunt for the guy. I can let him have this one for about 1200. She is a bit wilder than what he is used to. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote