Find
Notify
Tools

Glad I have game meat in freezer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
Grocery stores here are worst than they are during Hurricane season. Big cities are worst and people have discovered that they can drive to the country stores to stock up on supplies.
Like many of you, I have been going through a good deal of my frozen game meat.

The economy is starting to scare me. During the Depression 80% of Americans lived on small farms and 20% in our cities. The people in the cities were effected the hardest and had to depend on the government.

Gardens, chickens, milk cows and small game feed millions of rural Americans back then. Today 80% percent of Americans live in the cities and 20% live on the farms. That is a lot of people to feed. If they are going to give every American a thousand dollars they need to do it in the form of food vouchers. There are many people in this area would use that money for drugs and lottery tickets.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does make one thankful for being a hunter.

I have three freezers full of Antelope, Deer, Elk and Moose.

Only meat we seem to buy at the grocery store is chicken.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunters are making it better through this for sure. Given the huge rise in gun and ammo sales it's my thought that a lot more people that will now understand the 2nd ammendment was not just about hunting. Hopefully we will come through scarred but better people.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 600 pounds of wild hog and deer and a bunch of trout .I lived off the land in Alaska 12 years. This is normal for me I only eat wild meat. it won't me long before the grocery stores are ripped to pieces thugs broke into the Walmart for beer and pills near my parents house .The gas stations here and banks closed .People are heading for the hills too .This is a mess and thank God Trump is in charge not Hillary. GUN shops are empty and there is no ammo .This country is in a mess tons of prayers for every one and their families to stay safe and well !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I'm like the rest of you. I have Elk in freezer and buy chicken and pork. I am as an ongoing basis pretty much prepared (even TP)
I'm concerned that as this rolls on about emptying jails and Rule of Law and leading to Social Unrest. We are either headed into a very deep recession or a depression. The saying "Desperate People Do Desperate Things" applies.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Most hunters are students of nature and understand survival of the fittest. I hope that things do not get much worst but those who are most prepared have the best chance for survival.

My family is not having any social actions with others. My youngest who is 4 was born three months premature and his lungs never fully developed so he is high risk.

I am wear latex gloves when I pump gas and spray the soles of my shoes with bleach after walking near any traffic area. Had to go to drug store on Monday. Changed my shirt and hat after leaving store and put clothes in bag. Took shower when I got home and washed clothes.

If I have to go to store or gas station, I am trying to stay away from major highways.

I am trying to teach the importance of food rations to my wife and my three kids. My daughter use to never eat deer meat but she is eating it now. My Grandfather grew up in the Depression and always talked about how not to be wasteful. I have a lot to learn.

Would appreciate any different kind of fish recipe that you have. Stripers are running up the Roanoke and we are keeping our limits every day.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I took my daughter out Saturday and got a caribou. We shared it with my girlfriend’s family and an elderly neighbor. We never really got low on meat but I know that out friends/neighbors could use some.

Our stores are still pretty well stocked but it’s nice to know that we don’t have to rely on them.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had elk Philly Cheese steak sandwiches night before last and deer steak stroganoff last night.
We are not suffering for quality food at all. We don't buy meat.

2 fridges, 1 chest freezer, 1 upright freezer. all filled with delicious food. Yes, I'd bottle a ton if power goes out for an extended period.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank God they are feeding the school kids from school where my parents live .There are 456000 kids the largest school district in America. I hope they stay out of school the rest of the year .I hope the parents teach their kids something beside how to bag and sell pot. THEY could teach them to change a car tire and make bread.It might make families closer if they dont eat each other in the end .I made a trip only every two months to the store when I lived off the land for my meat in Alaska for 12 years .It just takes planning ahead .
I think letting go half a million prisoners at this time is nuts .They will be up to no good .My great aunt said during the great depression people from the city came to the country to beg for food .Then that night they would com ed back to steal from them .She said that was a good way for people to disappear quick. Protect your family and pets there is no telling where this is headed .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I did not know the number was that high. If we follow the same trend as Spain and Italy we are not going to be able to give medical care to many of our Senior Citizens. Not right that criminals get treatment before them just because they are younger. They are locked up for a reason. No telling what some of them will do when they are released. My daughter has her 13th birthday on Saturday. This is a scary time to be a parent.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Food production and preservation is not a hobby for me. I enjoy being self sufficient as possible. I specifically bought the land I own just for these kind of times.

My sheep are lambing, plenty of eggs, my meat rabbits are producing, I have a large pond full of fish plus like all of you, I hunt.

Garden vegetables, chicken and venison:

New stock:

Harvested some early shiitake mushrooms this morning and also have radish, lettuce, onions and garlic up in the gardens.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have enough game animals to last for years!

In our backyards!

I can pick and choose from several varieties.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Harvested some early shiitake mushrooms this morning and also have radish, lettuce, onions and garlic up in the gardens.

Still haven 6 inches of snow in my garden Frowner

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Still haven 6 inches of snow in my garden Frowner

Born and raised in the 'great white north'. Done with it!

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't buy into the doom & gloom to the extent some do, though I admit to taking sensible precautions. Like many here I have game meat to last me until fall seasons easily should they be canceled I own 600 acres of prime deer turkey and bear land let's just say meat will not be a concern. Karen and I raise a big garden every year for fresh and canned veggies.
I do not see a depression impending where scum will rove the countryside but I am prepared now as I have been for years should scum try to take what is ours.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't count on the promise of $1200 per person. I read the bill last night, and it is not free money. It is a LOAN against next year's tax return. Possibly with intetest. (Not sure about that part yet.)

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take your $1200 check and buy a Honda generator to keep those freezers running!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote