THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    First deer I ever pointed a rifle at.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First deer I ever pointed a rifle at.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted
This is my first ever deer, a whitetail I was lucky enough to get in Montana last year.
The mount is finished, but in California.
Will be shipping it next year.

It measured a 163 when taken, but I am sure it is smaller.
The shortest eyeguard is 11.5".

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul, Congratulations on a fine kill.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice buck! where about in montana did you shoot him? details of the hunt including shot please!!!

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I quit my job, then headed to Powder River Outfitters in SE Montana.
After 12 years in a job I didn't like, it was a wonderful time.

We drove there from CA in 2 days.
I checked my rifle POI when I got there, and it seemed to have shifted an inch, to spot on at 100 yards. I later found out that this was due to my bipod.

Anyway, the same day we arrived, we took off with our guide.
I had never hunted deer before, and would have shot at anything.
There were mulies there, but in the rut they would just stare at you if they spotted you.

Whitetail were much more skittish.

We were about to call it a day, when we spotted a small group of whitetail about 300 yards out.

I was able to sneak to about 120 yards, and Bill, my guide spotted this deer.
It was getting a little dark, but there was enough light to shoot.
I made the mistake of having my scope at 9x (something I have never done since), and so when I shot, I could not be 100% sure that I hit him. I felt that I had.

We waited about 20 minutes, and went for a look.

I was initially sickened when we couldn't find him. It was now too dark to see any blood, it was snowing and it was very cold (about 12 deg F).

At this point I was just randomly searching for the deer, and it occuured to me just how easy it is to get lost at night, and possibly freeze to death!!

Bill said that we had to go, but I asked him for 1 more minute. I spotted a patch of white, and ran to it - it turned out to be nothing. I turned around to leave, and not 10 yards from me was the deer.

The shot was high, but luckily for me, had shattered his spine, and I doubt that he could have moved after being hit. I think it was the adrenalin that caused me to completely lose my bearings initially!

I used a M70 in 30.06 with 180gr Remington Core-lokts.

The same round bagged a nice doe later in the week. This time I had the scope at 3x, and hit the deer exactly thru the heart at 100 yards.
I could see the impact, and was shocked to see the deer run about 100 yards. There was no way I missed! Then she started running in circles, and from 100 yards, I could see the blood spraying.
When I got to her, it looked like someone had performed a Satanic ritual, as there was a complete circle of blood around her.

I was very lucky that week, and it is a trip I won't forget for a while!!

Unfortunately while we were gone, some meth head broke into my hunting buddies house. We ended up driving back to California in 21 hours, just stopping for gas.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's a very nice whitey--congrats---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting on a wonderful buck. Can you PM me your guide?

I hate meth heads.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck! Huge eye guards!

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I hunted with Powder River Outfitters the first year they opened for business, I think 1985. I shot a 6x7 25 inch wide mule deer that had two drop tines and a turkey. Is John Stover still one of the owners? Nice deer you shot.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is my first ever deer, a whitetail

Explains the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good! Big Grin Excellent buck!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote