New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Wis. buck story
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot a decent Wis. 8pt white buck on the 2nd day of season.

We had a half inch of fresh snow that morning. at about 330pm my son said he noticed a big track going by one of the stands.

I decide I should follow it and shoot what was at the end of it if it was a buck.

I cut the track crossing a logging road. Circled the area it went into found it crossing another logging road. Circled back on another logging road found where it crossed into another small area.

Started to circle that area found where he hit another road and he was walking on that road heading north.

I hadn't went 25 yards when I saw a deer bedded about 40 yards away. The deer was looking right at me. The head was some what obscured by brush.

I carry my scope set at 1.5x when stalking I turned the power up to 5x and could make out antlers. Dropped the cross hairs onto the neck touched off the shot.

DRT with a broken neck.

The 165 cor-loc. at about 2400fps out of my Sav. 99 300 did its job.

It was a first for me I have tracked and killed a fair number of deer.

But this was the first buck I have shot after tracking him and found laying it its bed.

I shot them just as they stood up, as they started to walk, as they jumped up out of their beds.

Posts: 19339 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
A great hunt----Conglads on the trophy. Photos please or it didn't happen--LOL

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Notch up another experience! Congratulations.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than venison for Thanksgiving.

Posts: 10692 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story, where's the pictures?

Tracking is a lotta fun sometimes
one hell of a lot of miles and
work too.

Glad you connected.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5936 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tracking is a lotta fun sometimes
one hell of a lot of miles and
work too.

I find tracking to be very enjoyable but can be a lot of work also.

I have found that during the Wis. muzzle loading season I have the woods to myself a lot of the time.

A great time to track down a deer hardly any chance of pushing them onto another hunter.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Pics man, pics!!!

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10051 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
congratulations, good story

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can txt a picture to someone if they would post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its okay I will add my Minnesota Buck story.

On the first morning of the Minnesota season I am up in my deer stand on my property near Sturgeon Lake MN. I knew wife would be worried about me so I texted her on cell phone. Just as I was texting her an 8 point buck showed up about 30 yards away. Could not get the phone in my pocket before the buck noticed that I was making movements. By the time I set the phone down he was moving at a good pace through the brush. Moral of the story.. Never text while driving, having sex, or on the deer stand.

During the entire season I saw 37 deer. three were bucks, and the rest antlerless deer. On the very last day of the season, at 3:30 in the afternoon, I notice a doe moving at a good clip about 10 yards from where I saw the buck on the first morning. Waited. Sure enough, about a minute later here comes a nice buck, which turned out to be an 8 pointer. Could it be the one I saw the first morning. Who knows. Anyway, it was pretty brushy there so I move the gun to an open spot ahead of where I first saw him and got ready. A few seconds later he was in the scope and the crosshairs on his heart. Pulled the trigger and sent a 150 grain Nosler Accubond from the little .308 Winchester on its way. DRT. I will always wonder whether I only saw 2 bucks during the season or three. Another moral of the story. Sometimes persistence pays when hunting deer.
Lots of fun hunting this year. Decent weather and some snow made for seeing a lot of deer.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pdog

A Hunt well executed. Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Posted for p dog shooter:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks erict for posting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is better than decent. The M99 is awesome.

Posts: 10692 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That picture says it all! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I shot my first deer in 1963 with a .300 Savage 99F. Fond memory

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to find a better running game rifle.

The 99 hangs and points just right.

I brought this one at a gun show many years ago along with 3 others. $200.00 each. In a shotgun only zone.

Sold the other 3 for 400 each kept the one that fitted me the best.

If you look at the stock someone added a walnut cheek piece to it.

They did a fantastic job of fitting it.

One has to look really close to see that it is added on.

It just fly's to the shoulder and the cross hairs land on the target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Move over, Benoit brothers! :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!

THAT is a rifle!

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12512 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Posted for p dog shooter:

Very nice buck!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19134 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote