THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Scent a-way Fresh Earth spray - anyone use it

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scent a-way Fresh Earth spray - anyone use it
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Academy has this stuff on clearance

https://www.hunterspec.com/pro...x-fresh-earth-spray/

Anyone use it ?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have and will continue to use it when I step outdoors with a stick and string (out of tradition or superstition?) ...or some other type of scent reducing spray BUT....
Nothing beats being down wind and I question the effectiveness of the product even though I use it for bow hunting.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do use it, it works great. Bow hunting and tripods with rifles.

Perry

Posts: 2245 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing beats being down wind and I question the effectiveness of the product even though I use it for bow hunting.

I am far more concerned with the wind then ever using a cover sent.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I NEVER use scent blockers. If my bird dog can locate me at will by scent alone and do so very quickly, I doubt anything could reduce the scent of my body, my clothing, my gear and my breath (or other emissions) such that deer wouldn't smell me. I do try very hard to stay down wind of where I expect the deer to move and to obscure their visibility of me somewhat.

In my opinion, deer are very tolerant of people they expect to be in the place they are accustomed to them being. For instance, they became accustomed to me mowing grass along the driveway and cabin at deer camp and almost had to be run over to get them out of the way. We had a shooting range there and it was common for deer to be feeding in broad daylight within 100 yards while I was shooting.

I do see deer that happen upon me while I am in the woods where they are not used to finding me blow and stomp and sometimes just sneak of as quietly as they can. I have never been able to figure out for sure what bothers them at those times. I did learn that as long as I kept moving at a steady pace on a 4 wheeler that they would tolerate surprisingly close approach. I have threatened to make a cardboard cutout of a 4 wheeler and record the engine running at slow speed so I could wear the cutout like a sandwich board and just walk up to them and stick a gun barrel in their ear.

I suspect that deer can recognize people by their smell and get used to them in the woods/fields. It sure looks that way when you consider loggers and farmers.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think deer can discern intent to some degree. The deer I see on the porch will turn and run when you start walking toward them.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I think deer can discern intent to some degree. The deer I see on the porch will turn and run when you start walking toward them.

Watching them from a deer stand when I could see 10-20 in a day I never did get that figured out. Sometimes I could watch a deer 400-600 yards away and down wind of me spook when it hit my scent. Sometimes inside bow range and down wind they had to know I was there and didn't pay any attention. At night in the summer it was normal that after their evening feed they would move in to 100 feet or less of the cabin and lay down to chew their cud. When I went out to pee at bed time I always took a flashlight and counted deer. The only time it seemed to bother them was when I used a very bright LED light. I could lay in the bunk looking out the window and watch them walk by within 50 feet and know that had to be able to smell me and they rarely seemed to even take notice.

They certainly were not worried about driving a 4 wheeler past them within 50 feet as long as you just kept moving along at a steady pace. Didn't matter if they were standing in the woods or out on a field.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote