THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Opinions on where to go for big Muley
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on where to go for big Muley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I wouldn't hunt Mexico again on a bet.

I live in the same Chihuahuan Desert just a hundreds miles north of the Mexico "Big deer" area.

I wouldn't cross that border for any thing.

Not the right time, too much really bad stuff going on now. The Bushes and Clinton shouldn't have killed off the big cartels. This civil war among Mexican cartels isn't worth dealing with it.

We have the same group here in Southern New Mexico and West Texas operating on both sides of the border.

Life is too short to be murdered, kidnapped or spend a night in a Mexican jail.

If you don't have the points or cash to buy a Paunsaugnant, Arizona Strip, Kaibab, Jicarilla or other private land Utah ranch I'd just take the quest and apply for as many mule deer tags as possible and hunt them in as many places as you can.

I don't have the points or cash to do it, but mule deer are not really my sweetheart animal like pronghorns and elk are.

For New Mexico public land draws the tags near the Jicarilla here in New Mexico are the best public land options, but neither unit is full of public land. I think these units are 5b and 5a.

19 is the top desert mule deer unit here, but you have to deal with the military on when your hunt is. No 180 plus bucks were killed in this unit last year. But you only have a week and unless you work on White Sands Missile Range you aren't going to scout.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Like I said before, so many places to hunt good mulie here in homeland, to hell with beanerville and their screwed up country.
I had forsaken Mexico 20 years ago and I can honestly say... never again

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am going to Costco in El Paso this morning. I will be able to see into Mexico as I come down the hill.

That is close enough for me.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
The trophy expectation (or hope) makes a huge difference in this conversation. It's one thing to say "I'm looking for a 180-class mulie" and completely another to say "I'm looking for a 200-class mulie."

A 200" mule deer is kinda like looking for a 7 foot tall man. They definitely exist, but you damn well better be in the place where they are MOST LIKELY to exist, and even then there aren't very damn many. You're looking for a deer with superior genetics, who also made it to 6, 7, 8 years old.

These days, in my opinion, a 180" buck is just a hell of a trophy & a very good goal for someone who's serious about taking a big deer. A 200" is the Holy Grail, I think you need multiple hunts in a great area, combined with two tons of luck on the right day.

Good perspective, and one I can attest you’re right. In 2015, I drew one of the coveted ‘Strip’ tags in unit 13A, northern Arizona. I hired whom I consider to be one of the best outfitters for that area, A3 outfitters. I had my mind made up to shoot a 200” buck and not smaller. I arrived 3 days before the season to help with scouting, and we found several interesting bucks. Opening day arrives, we cannot find our #1 target buck, so we head for another area where we knew of a good buck. On our way, I spot some deer and we stop the truck and start glassing.

There he is, a gorgeous buck, standing broadside at just over 400 yards, watching us. My guide got his big binos on tripod set up while I was laying a sandbag on the hood and getting my 264 on the buck. Mind you, this buck simply fell into our lap, so we were not of the mind to look a gift horse in the mouth. My guide, Casey, tells me “You need to shoot this deer”. I reply that I don’t think he’s what I’m looking for and we start comparing notes while the rut dumb buck stands statue still. Casey thinks he’ll go maybe 195, and I think 190 tops. Casey thinks he’s just over 30” wide and I agree. Casey says “Kill that buck now”. And I say I’m looking for a bigger buck. This discussion goes on for about 5 minutes while our big 4x4 friend patiently waits. Finally, I convince Casey I’m not going to shoot this buck, even though my crosshairs had been settled solidly on his shoulder and all I’d have to do is squeeze the trigger. We finally drive away and Casey reminds me we can go days on the strip without seeing a deer, let alone a 190’s buck. He hopes I don’t come to regret my decision. So do I.

3 days later, we find the buck I want, a big 4x5 with a nice long inline on one side. We both think he’ll go somewhere around 205” +/- Only problem is, we spend a week trying to kill this buck and never can get a shot. We saw him several times but he was in a tough spot and living a charmed life. Finally, on the 11th or 12th day, I shot a very old “downhill” buck that wasn’t nearly as big as the opening day buck I’d passed up. He was very old and a good buck to kill, though certainly not the buck I’d come for. Our group of 6 hunters all filled our tags in a tough area, with the 3 best bucks going 190, 207, 214. To this day I think about the buck I passed, but also the bigger buck we found 3 days later. Yeah, sometimes I wish I’d shot that 190’s buck. Other times I remind myself I’ll never kill a giant buck just shooting good bucks instead of passing them up. I still haven’t figured out the best answer.

I love the idea of hunting for the entire time and finally killing an old, "downhill buck"

35 years ago I had a very senior friend that lived in Susanville that killed a "downhill buck" in x5b. The bucks antlers were just nubbs and his running buddy also taken at the same time was a very fine 4x4.
I was just enthralled with the idea of catching up with a wise old man like that buck.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20% on B&C or 35 inch plus mule deer are fantastic odds those big boys don't get that big being stupid, and those that are killed is more by luck and accident anywhere on earth...My dad said big trophy mule deer are like gold they are whereever you find them...

The biggest deer Ive seen have been in Mexico, and NOrth of Midland, Pecos, or odessa, Texas and that are runs into Southern NM, and they are far and few between and hard to come by and its hard tough hunting as your walking in sand hills all day long day after day, thats why they get big, its a tracking hunt that may last two or three days on the track..Big big deer..Ive seen a number of 200 plus come out of that area, along with two state records..only for the hunter who is indestructable and you need as much time as you have, that ups your odds..In the good areas no 4 wheelers allowed, its all on foot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote