THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My son gets his first Bull ! Warning Dead Elk pictures

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son gets his first Bull ! Warning Dead Elk pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Well I posted a couple weeks ago with my 12 year old sons first buck, now a week after his 13th birthday he scores on his first bull !
Here is the story.
My brother drew a late Buck tag for a hard to get area and either sex elk tags were available there as leftovers so I put my son and I in and we drew the tags. We spent the first couple days of the season spotting and evaluating bucks with my brother trying to find him a good one and he passed on many opportunities on bucks larger than he or I had ever taken. After not seeing many elk during this process my son and I got serious about elk on friday and saturday finally getting in on them saturday morning. We were slipping through the dark timber on a real steep north facing hillside and I spotted a bull 80 yards away sleeping in his bed, saw another part of an elk so we knew he wasn't alone and this gave us no chance to close the distance for fear of blowing them out of there. He didn't present a good shot angle the way he was bedded so we just set up my backpack for my sons rest and waited. Ended up waiting nearly 40 exciting minutes for him to make a move. I told my son that when he stands up we won't have long for the shot so as soon as the bull stood my son fired. The bull flinched at the shot and shuffled a couple feet and stood there and my son ( who was very excited at this point ) couldn't get on him again and the bull fast walked away into the dark timber. We went to check the area where the shot was fired and about 50 yards past that the bull bolted down the steep timbered slope. I was able to get a shot on him that broke 2 of the last three ribs and angled up into the neck knocking him off his feet, my son then shot him in the neck as he was getting up and it was all over except the butchering and packing.
The pack out was steep and ugly but shorter than most of my elk stories at only 1.5 miles to the truck. Bull was killed at 9:30 am and had the last quarter in the truck at 5:30.
The next morning ( last day of the season ) my brother shot the Mule Deer in the last picture, he had held out for a bigger buck but he was happy with this one as I was too. His buck dropped at the shot and made not a kick, one shot at 125 yards with a 270 WSM in the shoulder.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way...too cool-thanks for sharing!

Way to go kiddo and pops!

Mark D

Nice muley too

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snell:

congrats to son and dad! as well as your brother...I am considering on giving up on Oregon here for a season or two and looking at hunting out of state...

those results are impressive... your 12 yr old son's luck this season beat the heck out of my results......didn't see anything that big except left over cattle grazing in high country on BLM land that hadn't been rounded up yet.....

My 12 year old is giving a big thumbs up to your 12 year old.. and is really envious... dancing

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all you guys! thumbNice Bucks! beer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Snellstrom, Congratulations to all of you on the kills. I sure like to see those BIG smiles on the young`uns.

You mentioned your brother was using a 270WSM. What kind of Load was he using?

And what did you and your son use?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,

Congradulations on your sons elk, I've never shot a bull so I can only imagine how much fun he had. Your brother shot a very nice buck as well. What area were you hunting this time?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hot Core
My brother was using factory 270 WSM Ballistic Silvertips in 130 grain, they print real tiny groups out of his gun and the deer could not have died quicker. My son uses a .284 Win in a Ruger M77 flatbolt that my dad bought new almost 35 years ago. I load a loaded down 130 grain bullet for him (2650 fps) next year he'll be a little bigger and recoil hardened and we'll step up to bigger bullets and faster loads.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments my son really enjoys seeing his picture posted on the worldwide web and hearing the praise!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all. You guys had quite a season.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, big congrat's to your son and yourself (your brother too)...

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tell your son congrats and your brother too and slap yourself on the back ---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom

You mean to tell me that great looking kid who shot the elk came from you??? Big Grin

Seriously, great looking kid and great story.
Congratulations.

posted Hide Post
Congrat's to all!!! Way to go!

Can't wait till my boy is 12!!!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, and a well done to you both.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you! Seeing his bull made my day.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is great. Your load for your son's gun is almost the same as my daughters when she got her bull. How wide was your deer? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom ----- Way to go, speaking from experience, there is nothing as pleasing as seeing your son or grandson follow in your footsteps. I just got back from Colorado myself and your pictures of the snow remind me of my hunt as will as the good Elk meat packed neatly in my freezer. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son! And to you! Great hunt and great story.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for the nice comments. I get more of a thrill posting my sons pictures here than I would posting any of my own. I'll have to remind him that every year won't be as lucky as this one, we got pretty lucky after lots of hard work to get him the right shot and the right situation for his first buck and first bull. He was very dedicated to practicing a lot in the last year getting ready for these opportunities and held it together very well ( better than some grown men! ) in the presence of a legal bull.
I'm a very proud father!

By the way I didn't put a tape to my brothers buck but he won't go 30". Brother said he would measure it up this weekend.