Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady ELD Match for elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am out of powder, and there is none available.

I have projectiles, but the only loaded ammo I have is a 168 Grain ELD Match in 300 Winchester.

Not ideal, but would you shoot an elk with it?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no.
but I got nothing to reference that from, just my gut feeling that your looking at disappointment with that combination.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley has powder. You should be able to find bullets around locally or even Midway has some.

I wouldn't use Match ammo.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get you some loaded Winchester Ammo in UPS Tuesday.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neighbor is moving to Montana, and he gave me all of his powder.

I have enough H1000 to make this work.

Thanks for the offer.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use those same bullets at 2,550 fps out of a .308 for little Texas Hill Country whitetails. Even at that modest velocity, they come apart, but that doesn't matter to me since I'm not taking any Texas heart shots. On the broadside shots I take, they always get to the vitals and do serious damage. I'm of the opinion that it's not bullet failure if the deer drops in its tracks. That said, I sure wouldn't use the bullet on elk, especially not at .300 Win Mag velocities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my decision based on the fact that my 30-06 Blaser barrel is heavier (I had thought it was 1.5 pounds, but it is actually only 6 oz).

I was out to use my 300 Blaser barrel, as I had thought it was quite a bit lighter but it is not as much as I had thought.

The 30-06 is a much more accurate rifle in the ammo that I have over the 300.

I found some 180 Nosler Paritions that seem to shoot about an inch in the 30-06. So I am going to use that.

The 300 is giving me fits. I am going to scrub it down and try and work up a couple of loads for it, but I don't have time to get it worked out before the 20th of October opener.

I also had one of the new Meopta scopes poop itself. I am not sure what is going on with the turrets, but I am having problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM coming,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, surely you will be well served by your .30-06 and the Partitions. Sorry you are having these issues so close to your season.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill I have killed 3 Namibian oryx, kudu, and a zebra as well as other game with a 308 and PMP soft points. By comparison a 30-06 with 180 grain Partitions will be overkill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just take a rifle and go hunting.

Way to easy to worry about it and forget to have fun.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote