Find
Notify
Tools

worst advice from a guide/outfitter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this probably opens bad memories but here's a couple
in bc hunting bighorns nothing much to see for the the first days glassing from halfway up we say a group of 4 rams to far away to judge and the other side of the ridge was out of our area
with that the guide jumps up waving his arms madly at me shouting shoot shoot didn't get a sheep that trip

then theer was the camp on the far west side of montanna 4 bowhunt4rs in camp wer4 not very experienced and full of questions i about lost my supper when he told them not to worry is they shat an elk and only wounded it because even if they couldn't find it it wouldn't to waste that the bears etc would get a meal and to take any shot they could did'nt get anything that time either left camp very early

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Yeah! I remember a couple of early on experiences that were less than stellar.

I remember an outfitter that also ran a "restaurant/lodge". He had to help serve breakfast before we could get started on day one. The evening before he tried to talk us into hunting on our own around the lodge and later explained that the hunting was "just a bunch of work for him". I laugh about it now but it was infuriating at the time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I had a guy stop me from taking a follow up shot once...got another chance for the finisher a couple of hours or so later.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My worst guided hunt experience was down in Florida hunting alligators. He was recommended to me on an internet hunting forum. I spoke with the alleged guild who claimed to have harvested numerous gators in the 10 to 15 foot range. He told me what county tags to put in for and was pretty sure we could get 4, 10 foot plus gators in 3 days.

So myself and my brothers got tags, and my father flew down from New Jersey for a 4 day hunt. So we met the guide and to our surprise he was over 400 pounds and had a very hard time getting in and out of the boat. I was afraid he was going to have an MI right in front of my eyes. He immediately asked me to pay for and physically gas up his boat which I thought was weird, but I did it.

So we go to get in the boat and the boat does not start. We look behind us and there is fuel spilling out of a puncture in the fuel line. The guild said it has been doing that for a while and its no big deal. So after 20 minutes of us hand cranking the motor for him, because he could not get out of his chair it would not start. Luckily my father is a mechanic, so he went to the local auto zone bought tools and supplies and proceeded to fix his boat. While we fixed his boat, with gasoline spilling everywhere he lights up a cigarette. My father almost lost his mind, and told him to put it out before he blows us all up.

So we finally get going and begin looking for gators. Now gator hunting in Florida is generally done with a rod and real. You cast over the gator, hook him, pull him in and hit him with an arrow or bang stick. The main reason we hired a guild is cause we where not perficient in this and wanted to learn. So we tried casting numerous times but we could not get close because his motor was so loud and smokey, we could not get closer than 60 yards before the gator went under the water, which was out of range. I asked if we could use the trolling motor that was on the boat. He explained to me that it was been broken for years.

So his solution was to bring one of his experienced female friends to help us get a gator. So we pick her up and she casts once or twice and lost a few hooks in the vegetation. She then gives up and begins drinking white claws, complaining about her ex boyfriend while we try it on our own. We than ask him to try and cast so we could learn and he explains to use that he can not move out of his chair and continues his chain smoking for the night.

The night ended with no success. We pull up to the dock and where met by fish and wildlife. He asked for our paperwork and we produced it. He than looked over the guides boat and noticed his registration was expired, he did not have the appropriate running lights, he did not have enough life jackets, he did not have a safety whistle and numerous other violations. The fish and game gave him a ticket and told him to fix it. As we get ready to go back to the rental house he asks me for money so he can buy more gear, again I thought this was weird but I gave him some.

So we decided to try and make the best of it and give him a second try for day number two. It was basically the same results as the first. The boat almost died many times, he continued to smoke which im sure the gators could smell. He again refused to try and cast for us. We also came to find out that this was his first time trying to guide a gator hunt and has never even been to this lake before. We where not very happy. I was also worried he was going to develop a blood clot, he never moved from that chair for 10 hours. I'm not sure if he ever went to the bathroom.

So day two ended much the same way. I called the guide and asked him what the strategy was for tomorrow and he said, the same thing we have been doing all along. At this point we where all fed up and decided to end the hunt early, something i have never done before. So I told him we where done, I paid him for his time and we parted ways. I felt really bad because my family bought expensive tags, took time off work, rented a place, flew my dad in for this circus. I'll never do that again. I also felt bad for the guide, it seemed like he was having a hard time with life. But I feel like he bit off more than he was capable of delivering. If nothing else we had fun hanging out as a family and had a super funny story to tell.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had enough to make you want to throw up. Maybe not advice, but bad experiences. From being on an expensive desert mule deer hunt in Mexico, where the guide/outfitter left for a few hours to supposedly pick up tags in Hermosillo for his next hunters and which turned into him not returning for 3 days; to an outfitter in Colorado leaving us up on the mountain and failing to come back in on horses to pick us up at the end of the hunt(we had to walk out 9 miles on our own carrying all of our equipment, through a foot of snow); to being followed and harassed on another hunt and a different year 24/7 by anti-hunters as well as the Colorado Division of Wildlife because we were hunting with a specific Outfitter that they didn't like (we later got the CDW officer reprimanded and demoted for his actions); to paying for an expensive mule deer hunt in Nevada, only to have a horse's ass guide play heavy metal music all day in the car and drive around wasting hunting time and not having a real hunting plan(he and some of the other guides also admitted one evening that often they see a great buck and steer away from it so that their kids or relatives can come in later and shoot it). This guide also told me that I looked like a hunter from the past that he didn't like. There are others, but that's a pretty good overview of why I have hunted Africa for the last 17 years. Pick your outfitters very carefully and do your homework. Best advice: Use someone like Mark Young to line you up with reputable outfitters and guides. It's worth it, although sometimes even Mark gets snookered by an outfitter and guide. Mark knows about my experience from many years ago that I am talking about-we were both snookered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel:

After hearing your story. I should never ever complain about a "so-so" guided hunt that I have been on....

Edit:

I posted the same time as "Use Enough Gun"-

Use Enough Gun: I should never ever complain about a "so-so" guided hunt that I have been on...

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure this is bad advice but certainly a bad experience.

I had a guide who :

1- Got us lost twice.

2- After shooting the caribou he told me to shoot, I asked if it was a good one. He said he didn't know. He had never seen one before.

3- Told me to climb (by myself) in some rocks that he had previously described as suicidal. I shot the mountain goat that he told me to shoot. I verified it several times. When I downed the goat, I climbed to it only to find a nanny goat. He wanted me to roll it off the mountain. I refused.

Yes, I left early.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, can’t resist the urge to contribute one of my fond memories, courtesy of Tim near Musselshell, Montana.

Rationalizing one of his guides lethargy & indifference, “not his fault, he has cancer”
Apologizing for lack of preseason scouting, “didn’t have much time, what with planning my daughters wedding”
Being privileged to watch him negotiate trespass fees with a landowner well into mid morning of a hunting day. Only to learn later that day he had the 4 of us hunting in the wrong unit. Luckily (chuckle chuckle), we were blanked.

Needless to say, results reflected his competency.

Best money I ever spent on change of flight fees to get the hell out of there

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan. Every group of ibex we saw, guide excitedly "BIG! BIG! SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT! That was crappy advice EVERY time.

My buddy shot the exact ibex that the guide told him to, it was very small. And there was a big one in the group, I was looking right at it while they stalked.

About the 3rd day, we figured out they were trying to get the 3 of us 3 ibex ASAP and get back to camp.

We booked that through a reputable agent. Next time, I'll make sure I know enough Russian to say "If you tell me to shoot a small Ibex, no tip."

Use Enough Gun: Hunting in Africa: I second that 100%. Never had a major problem, and the minor ones get sorted out very easily with a little communication.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, there have been a few.

Guide drives up at 5:00 in the morning not only drunk but still drinking a beer and wants me to get in the truck so he drop me where he wants me to deer hunt.

The one that really takes the cake is the bush pilot in BC that had too big of load to take anything but my overnight kit and me. Don't worry though he will back first thing in the morning with the rest of my kit. Beautiful weather almost everyday but we never saw the guy until the 11th day when he came to pick us up. This was an October goat, moose, elk hunt and I had just what I wore on the flight in and my sleeping bag for the entire hunt. I had to borrow stuff from guide, wrangles, son in law just to stay warm, plus I used my sons rifle. Sat phone calls back to the lodge were interesting as they couldn't always think of an excuses for him not coming in. He was contracted to fly for them and lied every day as he had too many other people to fly.

When he lands he says I've got to get you guys out of here really quick as weather is moving in. I looked around, no clouds and not even a breeze. I told him take my son, then my son in law and after that all the meat. We got in big fight, I called him a coward and to get in the back seat and I would show him how to fly the super cub. I learn in a super cub and had been flying the bush for 25 years.

He finally did as I requested and flew the other 2 out then the meat, then I got in the plane. It wasn't the outfitters fault, they just contracted the wrong pilot.

Anyone that does what we do has some of these stories. They are fun to think back on, afterwards.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
My worst guided hunt experience was down in Florida hunting alligators. He was recommended to me on an internet hunting forum. I spoke with the alleged guild who claimed to have harvested numerous gators in the 10 to 15 foot range. He told me what county tags to put in for and was pretty sure we could get 4, 10 foot plus gators in 3 days.

So myself and my brothers got tags, and my father flew down from New Jersey for a 4 day hunt. So we met the guide and to our surprise he was over 400 pounds and had a very hard time getting in and out of the boat. I was afraid he was going to have an MI right in front of my eyes. He immediately asked me to pay for and physically gas up his boat which I thought was weird, but I did it.

So we go to get in the boat and the boat does not start. We look behind us and there is fuel spilling out of a puncture in the fuel line. The guild said it has been doing that for a while and its no big deal. So after 20 minutes of us hand cranking the motor for him, because he could not get out of his chair it would not start. Luckily my father is a mechanic, so he went to the local auto zone bought tools and supplies and proceeded to fix his boat. While we fixed his boat, with gasoline spilling everywhere he lights up a cigarette. My father almost lost his mind, and told him to put it out before he blows us all up.

So we finally get going and begin looking for gators. Now gator hunting in Florida is generally done with a rod and real. You cast over the gator, hook him, pull him in and hit him with an arrow or bang stick. The main reason we hired a guild is cause we where not perficient in this and wanted to learn. So we tried casting numerous times but we could not get close because his motor was so loud and smokey, we could not get closer than 60 yards before the gator went under the water, which was out of range. I asked if we could use the trolling motor that was on the boat. He explained to me that it was been broken for years.

So his solution was to bring one of his experienced female friends to help us get a gator. So we pick her up and she casts once or twice and lost a few hooks in the vegetation. She then gives up and begins drinking white claws, complaining about her ex boyfriend while we try it on our own. We than ask him to try and cast so we could learn and he explains to use that he can not move out of his chair and continues his chain smoking for the night.

The night ended with no success. We pull up to the dock and where met by fish and wildlife. He asked for our paperwork and we produced it. He than looked over the guides boat and noticed his registration was expired, he did not have the appropriate running lights, he did not have enough life jackets, he did not have a safety whistle and numerous other violations. The fish and game gave him a ticket and told him to fix it. As we get ready to go back to the rental house he asks me for money so he can buy more gear, again I thought this was weird but I gave him some.

So we decided to try and make the best of it and give him a second try for day number two. It was basically the same results as the first. The boat almost died many times, he continued to smoke which im sure the gators could smell. He again refused to try and cast for us. We also came to find out that this was his first time trying to guide a gator hunt and has never even been to this lake before. We where not very happy. I was also worried he was going to develop a blood clot, he never moved from that chair for 10 hours. I'm not sure if he ever went to the bathroom.

So day two ended much the same way. I called the guide and asked him what the strategy was for tomorrow and he said, the same thing we have been doing all along. At this point we where all fed up and decided to end the hunt early, something i have never done before. So I told him we where done, I paid him for his time and we parted ways. I felt really bad because my family bought expensive tags, took time off work, rented a place, flew my dad in for this circus. I'll never do that again. I also felt bad for the guide, it seemed like he was having a hard time with life. But I feel like he bit off more than he was capable of delivering. If nothing else we had fun hanging out as a family and had a super funny story to tell.

Eish! I wonder if I know this guy. If you wish, feel free to send a PM to me with this 'outfitter's' name. He sounds very familiar.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry this happened to you, but for those of us who did not have to live it. This is tragically hilarious.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Does a 15-day northern BC Stone Sheep Hunt wheree I didn’t see a legal ram, so I stayed an extra week and still didn’t see a legal ram count? I did shoot a nice goat in the first 15-days; and in the last week shot a rather small grizzly that my Indian guide kept insisting I shoot and I kept telling him it looked like a small bear to me. The Indian finally told me it was the biggest grizzly he’d ever seen, so I thought I must have been wrong and I shot it.

I wasn’t wrong, it was maybe 6’ squared but I’ll never know because when they shipped my goat home, there was no grizzly hide in the box. I later found out the Indian kept the hide for himself. On the bright side, that was the only fresh meat we had the last week. The Indian and I got into such an argument toward the end of the hunt that we nearly came to blows. Instead, I grabbed my gear and walked back to the base camp by myself, which took most of a day. The asshole guide finally caught up to me with the horses about a mile from base camp and offered me my horse to ride in with. I Was so mad at him that I told him to F off, and also wanted the outfitter to know how angry I was that I walked that last mile too. Had to cross a waist deep river to get to camp, so I was not only pissed off when I walked into the main cabin, I was also soaking wet.

I never did see a legal ram in 21 days on that hunt.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most error I hear about is don't shoot again.

Like the cost of another cartridge is important on a many thousand dollar hunt.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I keep shooting till the animal is down within reason. I have had to track a gut shot animal and it is not fun.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condolences to all. These stories scare the shit outta me as I'm really just starting to do guided hunts in my mid-50s.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
i've only been on two guided hunts. I guided a bunch in my 20s. I can't imagine a guide saying shoot shoot!. It would be like a PGA caddy on the first tee yelling swing swing! Any guide that does that is a total loser in my opinion.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed will probably recommend you hire Mark Sullivan as a guide and eliminate ALL the problems.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I love these kind of comments. I'm guessing you're a BMW owner. Know what the difference between a porcupine and a BMW owner is?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not a guide, but a game scout.

We normally have very good ones, and enjoy hunting with them.

One year we got a young man straight out of scout school, who thought he knew it all.

He started questioning what we do.

Lunch time, I asked him how old he was .

He said something like he was in his 20’s.

I told him Roy and me have been hunting long before he started wriggling about in his fathers balls!

He went dead quiet, and the rest of the hunt went on without any questions from him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the worst advise would be from the PH on our first safari. He rolled out of bed on day one at 8:30 AM after a memorable drunk the night before saying he was ready to go hunting as he blew booze on me. I made it abundantly clear with my finger in his chest that we were going nowhere with him that morning. He did sober up and stayed that way through the rest our safari which turned out quite nicely but it was very tense for awhile.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Booked an Iowa deer hunt over a year out with an 'Outfitter' that also had been featured on one of the hunting shows about deer hunting. His references included an aquaintance of mine who said good things about him. I had stayed in touch with him on dates, licenses, etc. Two months before the hunt I got a call from another 'Outfitter' that explained he bought out the original outfitter several months earlier and learned that he had been screwed and had no hunt leases thus no place to take me hunting.

I was out $2K at that point plus a license...but it gets worse.

Outfitter #2 invites me to do a make-up hunt with him in Kansas. He claimed to have access to depredation/crop damage permits I could simply buy from the landowner of the lease. At first I said that was great but I was a bit suspicious.

Learned there was no such thing as depredation/crop damage permits for trophy hunting deer in Kansas. Also learned that both Outfitter 1 and Outfitter 2 were involved in multi-state Lacey Act investigations (New Mexico, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Ontario Canada). I never hunted a day with these guys but ended up giving statements to both State and Federal Game Wardens. I obviously passed on the Kansas make-up hunt.

Later learned that Outfitter #1 was already a convicted felon. He took a felony wildlife violation hit and lost his ability to hunt. As far as I know he is no longer involved in hunting. Outfitter #2 is a real piece of work. Also learned that several of his hunters that he took on the Kansas hunt I was offered were cited for not being properly licensed (with the depredation/crop damage permits being used for trophy deer hunting)

Read here and you decide what kind of 'Outfitter' they are

Outfitter #1

https://ktvo.com/news/local/fe...-illegal-deer-hunter

Outfitter #2:

https://www.2coolfishing.com/f...thread.php?t=1793890

https://www.bowsite.com/bowsit...il.cfm?reportid=5516

And yes, I'm out my $2K. I also severed my association with a SCI chapter in Michigan over this guy. I was a Life Member of the Chapter, had been on the BOD, and once been Chapter Member of the Year.They continued to feature him at their fundraisers AFTER I brought this to their attention.

He wasn't even a member of SCI !!!!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems Bob McConnell (outfitter #2) never missed a beat......still in operation.

http://www.hhhunts.net/page-about.html

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
Seems Bob McConnell (outfitter #2) never missed a beat......still in operation.

http://www.hhhunts.net/page-about.html

Oh yes, he's really good at Outfitter 'Happy Talk' and does produce some big deer from time to time.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
outfitter said your guide is the best in the state, turned out he was the game warden !! never even saw a bear, foggy mountain had 23 hunters in camp. very sorry experience but the food was good.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very fortunate in not having a bad experience with a hunting guide. I had only one bad experience with a fishing guide. I live in Chicago, less than 200 yards from the Chicago River. I saw an ad for a guide who specializes in bass fishing on the Chicago River. We fished for a solid 8 hours, and never got a single bite- not a bass, sunfish, catfish, nada. We almost ran out of gas, so had to take a break to find a place to purchase gas. He also managed to run over his anchor rope with his outboard, and had to take almost an hour to untangle the rope from the propeller. He offered to take me out for a free future trip but I passed.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst advice I've ever received as it pertained to hunting, has never been from a guide and/or outfitter...not even close! rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
In Namibia:

We shoot everything from the truck because it doesn't spook game as much.

In Texas:

Guide spent the entire trip trying to get a high dollar client to shoot everything and wanted me to shoot a dink so he could be done with me.

In Germany:

I wish we had more fields for you to sit on (roe deer are normally hunted from a tower blind on the edge of a field). There were 12 of us in camp for roe deer in May, 7-8 of us would sit in the forest and watch wildboars, foxes and badgers walking all over but we weren't allowed to shoot them as they were reserved for a drive hunt that all of us were on in November.

In Maine:

Just sit here and wait, the wild boars should be by in a minute. Yes because they were in a pen on the back side of the estate and he had to release them. Then they ran down to the feeder in front of us. I blasted one then about 3 hours later while walking the estate looking for a fallow doe for a friend we found the pen of pigs.

The moral of the story is to ask a lot of questions, and be somewhat educated on what kind of BS outfitters can get up to.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote