THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Western Hunting Expo - Anyone going??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Hunting Expo - Anyone going??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never been to the Western Hunting Expo but I'm thinking about going this year.

Is this a big show?? I'm interested in booking a couple North American hunts. Would there be outfitters at this event that don't go to DSC or SCI??

Thanks for feedback.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a big show. It has grown rapidly since it first started.

Yes, there will be many Outfitters there that were not at SCI.

I have been to it every year but one.

There will be many tags there that you can apply for. Some tags are exclusive for Non residents. The tags are tough to draw but I have drawn a bison tag and my dad drew an elk tag several years back.

Send me a PM if you need any additional I fo and I’ll try to help.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I go every year. Only show I can make due to dates of others interfering with my Mexico schedule

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also go every year. I go to talk with people who I know and just to poke around to see what BIG money could get me, Now, if only I had money. haha

It's actually pretty fun and everyone there seems to have a good time.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
SLC only issue is a lack of entertainment and alcohol

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you can't find a drink in Salt Lake you ain't tryin very hard.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get just as drunk in SLC as you can sitting on your couch at home. We'd rather you didn't of course, but we won't stop you.

The Expo is a top shelf dog and pony show. Never seen so many dudes in shirts 2 sizes too small and bedazzled jeans. One year they had the Spider Bull on a turntable, flashing lights, and a line of 50+ dudes waiting to get an autographed poster of Doyle. I kid you not. It was mind boggling.

I was involved with it the first few years and then it just became exactly what hunting shouldn't be. I still go for a few hours or less just to see a few friends.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
You can get just as drunk in SLC as you can sitting on your couch at home. We'd rather you didn't of course, but we won't stop you.

The Expo is a top shelf dog and pony show. Never seen so many dudes in shirts 2 sizes too small and bedazzled jeans. One year they had the Spider Bull on a turntable, flashing lights, and a line of 50+ dudes waiting to get an autographed poster of Doyle. I kid you not. It was mind boggling.

I was involved with it the first few years and then it just became exactly what hunting shouldn't be. I still go for a few hours or less just to see a few friends.

Haha, That's spot-on!

Lots of pretty "fancy" people. LOL

I'll be the guy there with enough shirt to cover my belly etc and regular jeans. I'll stand out from the crowd so you'll be able to spot me easily.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on place to stay near the show. My wife and I are thinking of making the trip down.
Thanks

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
How do the 5$ tags work?

Do you have to be present to win? When do they draw the tags at the convention?

Do you have to visit the expo to participate in the $5 tags.

I do not see anything about residency on the tags website for the expo.

Are their other raffles?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
How do the 5$ tags work?

Do you have to be present to win? When do they draw the tags at the convention?

Do you have to visit the expo to participate in the $5 tags.

I do not see anything about residency on the tags website for the expo.

Are their other raffles?

There are many different tags to choose from. Pick the tags you want, $5 dollars a piece. In the past there were some tags that were exclusive for non residents. It looks like they no longer do this. Therefore, residents and non residents can apply for all the tags equally.

They draw the tags after the convention, usually 5-7 days or less. You can apply online but must validate them in person. Validation in outside the show area and you can validate your applications quickly.

Yes, there are other raffles. I won a Winchester 7mm a few years.

Saturday is a mad house. Try to attend another day.

Don’t look at the odds lol… if you want advice on any units, send me a PM (I do not know every unit but do have a decent idea on some of them).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not attend this year, with us moving again it is just too hard to go up there and then come back in time for the move.

2023, I will be there with bells on, and probably a Reno based show or two.

It is kind like the Texas draw hunts. There are good hunts, and bad hunts but they are all $5 (except in Texas I think they are either $3 or 12).

It is a fair price for a draw, that is the problem with most tag raffles, they are usually way more expensive than this.

Odds suck on all of them. On the Texas bighorn sheep it is about 1 to 8000.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting late in the game to find decent prices within walking distance. The Hilton is close enough to walk. Or you can find cheaper rates within driving distance. Better register soon if you plan on attending a banquet.

Applicants will need to buy a hunting license to apply so that is $80 or so.

Don't forget to bring plenty of cologne and perfume to compete with the clouds of scent found within the exhibition hall. Oh and hair gel, bring a lot of hair gel. ha ha

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC is there no parking?

Or do they charge $20 for parking?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would post an update on the show.

Myself, my dad, and my oldest son went down on Friday. We arrived shortly after it opened. Due to the Jazz game
that night, one of the large parking lots was already full. The underground parking next to the Salt Palace was
already fully. We finally found a place to park and walked a few blocks to get to the show.

I have been to all but a few of these shows. I have never seen it this busy, on a Friday. There were a lot of different
Outfitters there and was able to stop by and say hi to Arjun, who had a booth at the show. Went to see a friend at his
booth (South African Outfitter) and they were extremely busy. Took a look at the Browning booth. Was not impressed with the
sales help but I did find a rifle I am interested in.

I would wager that this show is much bigger than most would suspect.

We did apply for many of the draws and will know the results this weekend. Extremely tough odds, but you never know.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
After SCI is moving I will attend it next year as it is only 7 hrs away
Been there before and it is not a bad show, just will miss the glitz and bars of Vegas
Maybe next year it will replace SCI Vegas as top western show

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I went Saturday. Got in friday night at the hilton, left saturday evening heading back towards home with a stop in Rock Springs.

This was my first time at the show, I didnt' win anything at the full curl society, found a couple good hunts I can't afford, and a few cool new products like this one.

https://www.neshmarket.com/pro...o-by-creed-outdoors/

Full disclosure this is my website not my product, I started a small marketplace website to try and essentially build one of the shows online for the small businesses to have a single site to go and sell their wares. We are focused solely on the outdoors.

All in all I enjoyed the show. I will be moving from CO to SC in a few months, so I wanted to get to it while the travel was easy.

Next up is the expo in Denver, I'll be lurking around there too, I'm about 20 miles south of it.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote