New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent weekend!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Had the opportunity to be afield this weekend.

Saturday eve, a bit before dark a sounder of hoglets came in. I picked a good one

Ear-holed him @ +/- 175 paces.

The sounder took off, but one tarried too long.

Center-punched him @ +/- 190 paces.

Sunday eve, set out again. Nailed this boar early.

Just before dark a fair buck stuck his nose out of the scrum.

all in all it was a fair weekend..

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
beer

Doing your part to contribute to the ammo shortage I see. Congrats and nice "chootin'". Hard to believe no knives in any of the pics.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty:
Those are beautiful smoke poles.
Damned nasty looking pig though.
Not many bucks better than that one either.
You're doing so well maybe you should buy a
lottery ticket.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Ooff, I like that buck! tu2

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunting trip!

Congrats big time.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice "collection" Geedub, although it hurts me to see you hunting with such homely rifles.
Y'all stay safe. They are not doing a very good job of it just to the south of me in El Paso.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time, really nice buck! Congratulations.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done sir!

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nice work Glen!!!

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Glenn I used to say this on all your earlier post, but I'll echo it now.

Nobody has more fun!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, especially the buck!

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a darn good weekend to me...tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That must be a C-Grade 700. Nice rifle.

Of course the Blaser stutzen is a nice rifle too!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Great buck my friend! When I grow up I want to be you!

animal

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pics. Wow, what fun.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous piece of wood on that Blaser, and beautiful buck.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good for you, a nice weekend indeed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, your posts are amazing. The photography, the knives, the kills, the rifles, the libations, the cigars, all are exquisite.

I'm 60 years old and I want to be you when I grow up! Seriously, please keep it up. God bless Texas!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great weekend Geedub! That is a beautiful whitetail. He looks 150"+ to me

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great job Glenn! So cool

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote