THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Colorado 2nd Rifle OTC...Unit recommendations?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado 2nd Rifle OTC...Unit recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I haven't attempted Colorado Elk hunting in over 15 years and I feel extremely overdue. I am thinking about trying my luck at grabbing an Over the Counter tag and hiking the hills for a bull.

I'll be able to take the time off work but I haven't hunted any units other than around Steamboat Lake state park. Are there other units that have a large amount of local animals?

I remember hunting north of Craig, Co and the herd would take off to Wyoming and Three Forks Ranch for cover after the first rifle season. I hunted an area that didn't allow ATV's and I think that helped. Maybe something near Durango or Pagosa Springs / North of Chama would be better.

I remember a member on here telling me that the unit I hunted 15+ years ago has had forest fires and droughts

. I drove through the unit in 2017 and the paths that we used to hike into our areas are now covered with dense trees that have grown on the forest roads and the meadows we used to glass are no longer meadows. So my memories of hunting that unit would do little for future success since it has been so long.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 4, in the Routt Nat forest N of Craig and Hayden, usually has plenty of elk. Ity is elk hunting so no guarantees...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted the area.
But, IF you can get the bull tag in that area
just inside CO N of Chama NM. Should be one
great area and chance for a big rack too.

Just east of Montrose is supposed to be another
dandy.

Far as forest fires. The next 2-4 years after a
hard burn should have lots of elk in there eating the fresh greens that have started up.

Too much private land around Craig you can't hunt on without paying access fee's. Whole lotta
hunters up there the one year I went. I wouldn't
go back myself due to those two things. I did
see several big racked bucks over the posted
fences though. IF you do go, drop in at the
chamber of commerce and talk to the staff there.
They'll be able to tell you current info.

I hunted 12 yrs at LaJara Res. IF it's dry, there's NO elk, takes heavy early snows to get 'em in there. IF there is, there's LOTS of elk.
Quite a few hunters but, it's a HUGE area too.

Best wishes,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote