New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 Gov. Deer Killer!!
 Login/Join

<Rockhammer>
posted
I have recently discovered I have become what my son describes as an "Old Fart". As a result I have begun hunting deer with a 45-70 Ruger No.1 I have discovered if you use a high hold behind the front leg so that you get a solid lung hit it is instantaneous dead deer! No tracking, no "finding", they are there where they were hit! Does anyone else have similar experiences and if so what load was used? Mine is a 300 gr. Hor with a stout load of 3031 powder.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
My rifle doesn't like 3031, other than that, performance is similar. I use 300 hornady, but also Lee Hp cast bullets made of wheel wieghts. Very efective.
I use Rel 7, in my rifle a custom 1886 win, or 4198.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Well, I love being an old fart when it comes to rifles. I just don't need a RUM or an STW, I stay 30-06. For years, in woods hunting, I used a 45-70, now you have to get somewhat close, but that is a flattened deer if you do your part. No tracking. You are right, it knocks them down. Just like a slug gun will.
I actually use 405 grain soft point with BL-C2 or 2015...I don't have my log here to give you grains, but on a chrony I got over 1700 FPS. That is performance no matter how old the cartridge might be.
I just last season found a new Win 94AE in 356 Winchester. It pushes a 200 grain to a chrony'd 2400. It shoots about 1.25 groups, three shot. I like old calibers, they work. Don't know why the 30/30 is still so popular, other than that works too. I like the added range that the 356 or a 307 gives me over a 30/30. But the day I need a Lazzeroni Warbird to hunt, is the day I'm fumbling and bumbling around in the woods so bad that I need to retire from the sport.

Give that Lazzeroni to someone who shoots out to 800 yards or more, I just haven't had to. Then again, I am not a beanfield hunter. Kenny Jarret and Lazzeroni have the right idea on that. But, I really don't want to deal with that recoil.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

<Sooner>
posted
Try between 57 and 60 grains of AA 2015 behind a 350 gr bullet, that gives 4000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. You can go hotter but thats gettin pretty close to a light loaded 458 win mag. If your rifle is like mine it weighs in at a massive 7 lbs which is great to carry but packs a wallop at this pressure level. I have never killed a deer with this load but I did take a nice brown bear with it. You could put your hand through his chest where that bullet entered. My taxidermist was a little pissed though.

Sooner

<CARR4570>
posted
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT IN THE WAY OF A 45-70 YOU SHOULD GIVE THE SUPER 14 BARREL ON A THOMPSON CONTENDER. IT WILL TURN SOME HEADS AT THE RANGE AND ITS ACTUALLY NOT BAD TO SHOOT. ITS JUST A VERY "HEALTHY" PUSH. SORRY I CAN'T GIVE ANY REAL WORLD ACCOUNTS OF ITS PERFORMANCE YET.

<45/70 marlin>
posted
I have killed about 20 deer and several boars with the 45/70.They all have been quick kills.My favorite deer load is a 300 grain hornady over reloader #7.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I can only hunt with a handgun, so my TC .45-70 has been my pick for the last dozen or so years, with more deer than years to it's credit. All but one-my fault-dropped right in their tracks with heart/lung shots. I shoot the 300 gr. X bullet, H322 powder for 1890 fps out of a 15" bbl. Truly God's chosen sledghammer.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Talus>
posted
Hey Sooner,
I'd much rather deal with a pissed-off taxidermist than a pissed-off brown bear! Good shootin'.

Talus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhammer, I also use the Hornaday 350 gr. over 55 grains of 3031 in my Ruger #1. Shoots great and recoil is not bad at all. Have only killed 2 deer with it but both dropped instantly. One doe was over 175 yds. away, but this load shoots flat enough to make it a legit 200 yard gun. Am anxiously awaiting the arrival of deer season.

<Harald>
posted
I just posted the results of my recent wetpack tests of the 300 gr Barnes X, 350 gr Hornady FN (the new one), and the 350 gr Speer FN on my webpage:

http://ulfhere.freeyellow.com/ballistics/wounding.html

Its really a reloading issue, but has anyone else experienced a problem with contacting the rifling in the Ruger No. 1 with the Hornady bullet seated to its normal cannelure location? I found that I had to seat them about 1/16 inch deepr to get the rounds to chamber. A 46.5 grain charge of IMR-4198 had no room left to shake at that point. In my mind that rules out the max loads listed in the Hornady manual for the RN bullet and I can't see that it would chamber either. Anyone know differently?

<Phil R>
posted
Harald,
My new Ruger #1s in .45/70 has no leade...the rifling starts at the end of the chamber. As a result, suitable bullets for this rifle have to begin to taper at the cannelure or crimping groove.This pretty much rules out the Hornady 350's.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<CARR4570>
posted
I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE EARLIER #1'S HAD A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF FREEBORE IN THEM, BUT THAT WAS CHANGED FOR SOME REASON. I ALSO HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH THE MAX LOADS FOR THE 45-70. THERE IS NO WAY TO GET A MAX LOAD OF 322 INTO A 45-70 CASE-- I KNOW, I'VE TRIED. HOW ABOUT THE X-BULLETS? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF TAPER. HAS ANYONE USED THESE? I'VE PLAYED AROUND SOME BUT NOTHING EXTENSIVE, THEY'RE A LITTLE COST PROHIBITIVE.

<Harald>
posted
Phil, I looked in my bore and got the same impression: no throat at all! The rifling starts at the point where the case ends. Ruger normally is extremely conservative in its design philosophy but I'd like someone to provide a detailed justification supported by broad experimental findings as to why the heck that bore should have no throat. I've never heard that the old rifles were horribly inaccurate or that the .45-70 works best with bullets jammed into the rifling. I hate to be judgmental but I don't offer high praise for that design alteration. However, in view of this I think all the manuals need review (except perhaps the revised Speer loads).

<Phil R>
posted
Harald,
I've loaded a bunch of Nosler 300gr. Partitions and Speer 350gr. FP's but haven't been to the range yet. So far it shoots factory loads real nice. Although I like the Hornadies, there is an ample supply of bullets from Barnes, Nosler, Speer to make it work.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harald,

Just to say amazing web page. I've e mailed you a couple of questions, you seem to know your s..t.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harald. Just my thoughts on the change in throating on Ruger #1's in 45-70.
Lot's of us folks, me too, load up our #1 45-70's to be mini .458 Magnums. That is, we load up some serious gut busting loads. I personally have pushed a 500 gr. cast lead bullet to a hair over 1800 FPS. Now, I'll bet serious money, that old Bill Ruger got a touch nervous about this, so he redesigned the throat to prevent us from doing this. The simple solution would be to have a good gunsmith throat the barrel out to where it should have been, and have at it. Ruger, however would probably not warrantee the gun if problems arose. Catch 22.
FWIW. My 45-70 Ruger has the longer throat and accuracy has been great, as far as I'm concerned. I only shoot cast lead in mine, so I don't expect half inch groups. Minute of deer,elk or moose is fine. My per load is a charge of SR-4759, the case filled to 1/8 inch of the top with cream of Wheat, and a 330 gr. Gould hollow point bullet. (Lyman #457122) Velocity with the filler is 1750 FPS. Without, 1650 FPS. Groups with 1.25-1.50, groups without 2.0-2.5. Load works great in My #1 and in a new model Marlin 1895, the first one with the sadist designed curved buttplate. Haven't tried it on game yet. It's damn near impossible to draw a tag for deer or elk in this state. I keep trying though.
Anyway, I think this'll answer your question on Ruger's throating change.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote