Find
Notify
Tools

Helped a friend get a Tule elk bull
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
This past week I was fortunate to be able to help guide a client, who has become a good friend over the last 20 years, to a heck of a local Tule elk bull. He used a .375 H&H with a Sako action using a barrel he made himself (that’s his business) and a reloaded 250 gr. Barnes TTSX. We almost had a shot at 250 yards and the fog got too thick (in July?!?). We got another opportunity at a steep uphill angle at 125 yards and one shot put the bull down.

The rancher had seen this bull on the trail camera before the season and was impressed, but we were still considering some others. But when we saw him in person while scouting the day before the hunt we quickly forgot about the others... The next day we were lucky enough to find him within a mile of where he’d been the evening before.

The ranch is near Paso Robles, CA and is over-run with elk. With this drought the ranch had to sell almost all their cattle to avoid overgrazing their nearly 7,000 acre ranch, but these elk are eating them out of house and home. Through a lot of negotiating, begging and threatening with CA Fish and “Wildlife” they were able to buy one Private Lands Management elk tag and they’ll probably be able to buy another tag for later this year (that hunt is already spoken for and has a waiting list). Two elk being taken off the ranch won’t give them much relief for the over-grazing, but at least it will help pay for some of the feed they’re eating.

The elk on this ranch are part of a herd of roughly 400 Tule elk that DFG transplanted to the area in the 1980’s (with or without permission from the landowners). It’s neat to see a new species in this area to (theoretically) hunt and they’re a great conservation success story, but it’s pretty frustrating that the government can put whatever they want on your land and you have very little say or control over it. I’ve seen a few ranchers get so frustrated that they get depredation permits to shoot them out of their crops just to teach DFG a lesson, but that’s equally sad.

But I digress…. The bull hasn’t officially been scored yet. I think he should make a good dent in the top 10. My friend really had to break his hunting piggy bank to buy this private lands tag on this ranch so I’m really happy he got such a nice bull. He’s on Cloud 9 and I’m sure he won’t come down for quite a while.

I thought you folks might enjoy a couple photos:

All the best,
Kyler

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
man, as hot as it is right now, i bet you didn't waste much time getting down to the recovery. and i am guessing that the tags/hunt were well over $10k. congrats to both of you- that is a fine Tule elk!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is really a nice tule. Good work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull! Congrats to you and hunter.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull Kyler. Congrats to you and the hunter.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bull
Interesting rack for a Tule, usually they end up with "crown" points but this one reminds me of a Rocky Mountain Elk, beautidul specimen.
Congratulations!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
That's the biggest Tule I've seen.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Frickin rookie guides shootin raghorns

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That is a dandy, I used to hunt all over that area (including on the base) in the late 80's through mid 90's. DFG had put that small herd on Fort Hunter Liggett and they quickly expanded to Lockwood and the surrounding areas. It was fun to watch the herd grow, and there were always some nice bulls to be seen.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunner of a bull!
Congrats to you and the hunter.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great bull!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ok Ok...I guess it's an ok Bull...LoL

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Kyler and your client, that’s an awesome elk.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

It's that time of year again and I've got a chance to find a hunter for a Tule bull on the same ranch where we took the monster last year.

As I stated in the story last year, they've only been able to get 4 bull tags over the years for this ranch/herd. All four bulls have made B&C and I'm told the bull we took last year in the photos above will be #5 in B&C and #3 in SCI.

A recent count during one afternoon on this ranch showed over 50 bulls and they'll only be able to get two land owner permits this year. The chances of taking a truly great bull are very good. But the price is equally unusual. It's going to take around $30K to get the tag. One tag is spoken for by the other outfitter who hunted it last year. The rancher is giving me a week or so to find a hunter and then he's passing the opportunity to another outfitter who supposedly has a client ready to pay the price.

The hunt should be taken in July while the bulls are in velvet to have the best chance of getting one of the larger bulls on the ranch.

This hunt is all low fence/fair chase. The ranch is on the Central Coast of CA near Paso Robles.

Here are a few recent trail camera photos. While we're still experiencing a drought, the feed conditions are better this year than last year.

Feel free to email ( khamann@boaring.com ) or PM with questions.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Only 30K. Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 years of my Navy career in CA around the Bay area. Tried for a Tule tag every season but never drew one. I hunted blacktails north of Napa in the Mendocino Natl Forest and the Cache Creek Wildlife Area. I saw lots of Tules but never had a tag in my pocket and my pockets weren't deep enough for one of the private land tags.

Nice bull.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great Bull!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Piggy bank?
Why not head north into Oregon and do a real hunt that is much cheaper?
Why do people pose way behind there harvested animal for photo shoots? It's so obvious, might as well as put a cucumber in your pant.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:

I didn't know they have tule elk in Oregon.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You beat me to it Todd!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
By the way that is a tremendous Bull no matter what angle you photograph it from or where you place your self in the picture....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratualation

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Piggy bank?
Why do people pose way behind there harvested animal for photo shoots? It's so obvious, might as well as put a cucumber in your pant.

It is bull shit like this post that taint this once great forum

I don't know anything about Tule elk....but I know what a big elk that one looks to be

Congratulations

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt... beer

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler
Any more info on this Monster?

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Ravenr,
I wasn't able to find a hunter in time so the ranch offered the tags to a couple other outfitters. They each took out a hunter. They found guys right away that would shell out the big bucks for these tags so I guess I just don't hang with enough high-rollers. Wink

I know the first guy got a nice bull in the high 340's at the beginning of this month. I didn't hear how the second hunter did, but there are plenty of big bulls roaming that ranch so I'll bet it was also a good one.
Take care,
Kyler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this ranch allow any cow hunts?

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Moose,
It's a weird situation on this specific ranch in that typically there aren't any cows on the property. Against the ranchers wishes Fish & Wildlife issued him two cow tags this year, despite that he told them he hasn't seen a single cow on the ranch for 3 or 4 years.
These bulls travel to the neighboring military base for the rut and then right back to hang out on this ranch. You either have to shoot them in the velvet before they leave for the rut or hunt them after the rut and risk that they're broken up from fighting.

Ravenr,
I realized maybe I misunderstood your question. If you were asking about the bull last year I'm told it officially scored 359" (they took a 338" and a 348" bull this year). The hunter from last year was told that his bull should land in #3 for SCI and #5 for B&C, but I don't know if he has any of that confirmed yet. At least for B&C apparently they require that a panel of measurers review a trophy if it's going that high in the book and from what the hunter said he hasn't been able to get it into a panel to review.

Thanks,
Kyler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ranch is near Paso Robles, CA and is over-run with elk. With this drought the ranch had to sell almost all their cattle to avoid overgrazing their nearly 7,000 acre ranch, but these elk are eating them out of house and home.

quote:
Two elk being taken off the ranch won’t give them much relief for the over-grazing, but at least it will help pay for some of the feed they’re eating.

quote:
A recent count during one afternoon on this ranch showed over 50 bulls and they'll only be able to get two land owner permits this year. The chances of taking a truly great bull are very good. But the price is equally unusual. It's going to take around $30K to get the tag.

So there aren't any cows on this ranch, yet there are so many bull elk that they are eating them out of house and home and $60,000 won't pay for it? I didn't realize you pay $210 per AUM in California!

I'm sorry, but this whole situation smells like an excuse for a landowner to get transferable landowner bull elk tags to sell off to the highest bidder. This doesn't sound like a conservation "success" story for anyone but the rich.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Moose,
I'm curious how you would handle it if you owned the ranch?
I'm not involved in the ownership on this ranch (and didn't tack any fees on the hunt I guided last year), but I'd like to learn from you how you think they should handle this resource on their property? Keep in mind every bull taken on the ranch has gone in the top 30 of B&C. Should they just price the hunts at management or meat bull prices to make a few hunters happy?

These ranch owners can control the cattle grazing pressure, but aren't allowed to control the elk population. As the drought got bad they didn't feel like they had enough feed to continue to run their cattle with all the elk there. So they sold the cattle off a couple years ago in hopes of more feed when the rains come back (we've always had drought cycles here). The cattle are a big part of the living for the three generations who live and work on the ranch. The taxes alone for the ranch are tremendous, not to mention the loss of income from the lack of cattle.
But I'd like to know what these folks should do different in your eyes? Regardless of the cattle situation, should they sell the tags to the lowest bidder instead of the highest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the both of you! That is one incredible bull.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
One of the things I do love about this site is that it is so remarkably self-policing.

Kyler - GREAT bull. I've spent plenty of days in Tule country and seen the scat...but never actually seen the Elk. Outstanding work!

Here's hoping that Bull hangs proudly in the Home of the Hunter.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of thoughts here.

If they sold off all their cattle how does this "rancher" make a living? That just doesn't make sense.

Who gives a ratts butt what these bulls score if the landowner considers them vermin.

I think they will recoup some of their grazing loss with $60000. Highest AUM payment in history.

To me this is just another fake rancher who probably doesn't allow any public access to help him control a problem he is partially responsible for (by not allowing hunting) yet bitches about it so he can get the F&G to give him some tags so he can sell them off to the highest bidder. Why not put up a high fence amd call it what it is or let the state eradicate these animals since they are such a nuisance?

Hunters are losing access because of outfitting and dollar amounts put on wildlife, how can any true outdoorsman celebrate this downeward spiral?

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Moose_drool,
What's your deal? You obviously know nothing about our current drought situation or ranching and seem to want to beat up on anyone trying to make an honest living off the land any way they legally can.
If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, please log off.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2