Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms in Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I own a home in Sonora, Mexico. How do I legally import sporting firearms from the US into Mexico?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be done, but I would not. I gave away a shotgun before entering after learning that the US will not help any American who enters Mexico with a gun, intentionally or not.
Mexico has its own laws that differ from ours and in the short run no civilian can possess a firearm.
They constantly fear another revolution.
Mexico is a country that whines and wants from others, especially the US, but has no interest in giving anything.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
It can be done, but I would not. I gave away a shotgun before entering after learning that the US will not help any American who enters Mexico with a gun, intentionally or not.
Mexico has its own laws that differ from ours and in the short run no civilian can possess a firearm.
They constantly fear another revolution.
Mexico is a country that whines and wants from others, especially the US, but has no interest in giving anything.

Not at all true. Shotgun owning Mexicans are quite common and it is even possible to get a pistol permit. They only have one gun store in the country located in Mexico City nd run by the either the military or the Federales. Permits are somewhat hard to get for the average Mexican.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

Not at all true. Shotgun owning Mexicans are quite common and it is even possible to get a pistol permit. They only have one gun store in the country located in Mexico City nd run by the either the military or the Federales. Permits are somewhat hard to get for the average Mexican.

465H&H

I'm not sure that I agree with your statement. Gun ownership in Mexico is almost completely reserved for the wealthy and connected. Average citizens by and large do not posses any firearms. I have occasionally heard of big sprawling ranches having a firearm but again, not common.
SBT how do you "own" a home in Mexico?? It is my understanding that you must have a Mexican partner with controlling interest or a lengthy lease. The other option "Fedo Commiso" is in effect a lease as well.
All that aside there are mechanisms for importing your firearm to Mexico for hunts, several that post here are more familiar with it than I but the permits are obtained from Mexico not the US.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I own a home in Sonora, Mexico. How do I legally import sporting firearms from the US into Mexico?

Call Holder and ask him to send you one. He approved it for criminals, should be easy.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello SBT
To the best of my knowledge and understanding it is not posible to import a firearm from any country to Mexico if only you own a house over there.
You can temporary import a firearm linked to a Tourist Visa and throught a Licensed Outfitter for hunting purpose on season.
To own firearms and have a Gun Permit for sporting purposes (Shooting and/or Hunting) you must be a citizen, permanent or at least a temporal resident of Mexico. Maybe, in your case, with a rentier status. (Form FM2)
It is possible, but because red tape and costs, unlikely to import a Firearm to Mexico. It is easear to buy one over there.
The only place where can be purchased new firearms is on DCAM (Dirección de Comercialización de Armas y Municiones). It is a part of National Defense Ministry. http://www.sedena.gob.mx/comercializacion-de-armas
There is a friendly firearms market, but a good advise is to buy a firearm that has been bought on DCAM over one year ago. You must be a member of a local Gun Club. If your house is on San Carlos Bay, go to Hermosillo, there are at least 3 of them. If you are interested, let try to obtain the names and addresses.
I must say that I visit Sonora every year since 1984 to hunt Coues and Mule Deer.
http://www.mexicoarmado.com/venta-de-armas-de-fuego/
http://www.sedena.gob.mx/trami...go/registro-de-armas
Once you “own” a registered firearm you can apply for a Gun Permit ( Permiso Extraordinario de transportación de armas de fuego, PETA) through your Gun Club and have a Hunting License.
With a proper migration status you can own 9 longarms and one .22 caliber handgun on your Gun Permit.
If you give the steps by the legal route and do not fall into the temptation of the shortcut you will be able to enjoy a hunting paradise.
My best regards

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kechutti. I will apply for my permanent resident status and go from there.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT-
Keep us informed of your success.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
since when does any one in mexico worry about laws? Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
since when does any one in mexico worry about laws? Big Grin

When you are in a Mexican prison.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote