Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Alligator Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
Some pictures and videos from 2020 season. I caught 65 alligators in six days of running. Ran four days by myself and two days with a buddy of mine.

We almost lost the big alligator in the picture, it was 11'-5" long but was massive. When we pulled up to the line it was stretched tight and as I began to pull the line in I could tell it was a big alligator. The real big ones do not fight as long as you pull them in in gently, they are just deadweight. I told Marc it was big and to be ready with the rifle, he thought I was joking, so I made him understand I was serious. When its head cleared the water it was enormous. Marc made a perfect shot with the 22 magnum. I gave it a little slack as it twisted and all of a sudden the hook came out and the alligator sank in about six feet of water with a decent current. My heart sank with it. We started searching immediately with a pole I carry, could not find it. I called my nephew and another friend to come help with a fish finder and a drag. We kept looking and I finally found it. I got it to the surface and tied a line to it, the other two guys showed up right after. A little excitement to end the season.

11'-5" big gator.

My shoe is size 14 for scale

Some more nice ones

A few smaller ones to start the day

Old time hunting, my Dad in the aerly 80's, he passed away a few years later. I am at least the fifth generation in my family to have hunted and trapped for a living.

You have to put the head in first and the rest will follow.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great show Mike!
Good way to wreck your back.

Ok, fill in the blanks: what's
next with 'em? eats, hides, sell 'em whole?
OR what?

Let's see more, much more,
thank you for sharing with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I greatly enjoy your photos Mike, thankyou for sharing!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Great show Mike!
Good way to wreck your back.

Ok, fill in the blanks: what's
next with 'em? eats, hides, sell 'em whole?
OR what?

Let's see more, much more,
thank you for sharing with us.

George

When the state reopened alligator season in 1979 we received about 125 tags. Back then we skinned everything we caught. My Dad worked shift work for one of the pipeline companies and my brother and I were in school. Dad would run lines during the day and start skinning until he had to go to work or to sleep. When my brother and I would get home from school we would finish skinning, flesh the skins, and salt everything down. Most of the meat was wasted the first year or two. We sold some and then they started cracking down on the health codes. Dad died in 1985 and we gave up about half the tags. Sometime in the late 80s the buyers wanted the whole alligators. Since then we bring the whole carcass to a market where they are processed. At the peak we were getting $60.00 per foot. Now we are receiving around $5.00 per foot. The hides have lost most of the value, there is still some value left in the meat.

I have considered selling hunts but just have not brought myself to do it yet. I donated a hunt a couple of years ago to Dallas Ecological Society (tied in to DSC) for a contest in the Dallas area high schools. We had a great time hosting the young man and his Father. We stayed on my houseboat, hunted alligators, went frogging at night, brought him riding in the airboat, mudboat, and bateaux. He had a real Cajun experience.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are all nice gators!

~Ann

Posts: 19153 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike:

Spent three weeks at East Point Fla.
Where they were seen everyday.
OF course I never saw a one! Typical
of my luck. Walkway over the gator
trails even.

Wow, $60 a foot!? Hell I'd almost move
down there for that. I can see why
it wouldn't feel so good for $5.

Glad you're getting out and having fun
and taking others at times.

Thanks for sharing with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hides have lost most of the value, there is still some value left in the meat.

Along with the value of almost fur bears.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I Know a Canadian who would love to do one of those hunts for a few days. A good looking fellow, brave and strong ... cheerful with more than enough Canadian pesos to off set the lousy price the market is bringing these days.

And if he can not come - I can! Big Grin fishing BOOM

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A way of life totally foreign to my West Coast experience. Thanks for posting, Mike!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, Mike!....they bit your hair off!!! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

C'mon man! Don't be dogging the man like that!

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Funny. The guy helping me pull in the alligator is 28 years old and going bald. When he drove up in his boat I asked him how fast it is, he answered close to 60 mph. I told him to slow down a little it was blowing his hair out.

The closer boat is mine, 20’ bateaux with a tiller handled 90. His boat is slightly bigger than mine with a tiller handle 150 hp outboard. 60 mph in a flat bottom boat is cruising.

The guy watching is a good friend. He hunts with me every year but had shoulder surgery about 8 weeks ago, he is not lazy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike---Do you know the Landry's of TV fame?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Mike---Do you know the Landry's of TV fame?

We hunt about 20 miles from each other, however I have never met them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to move 20 miles so you can be on TV, I think they make more TV money than alligator money.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions for a guy out west that wants to go gator hunting? Outfitters etc?

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Time to dust off the gumbo pot.
14’ alligator!

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1...d-hunters-boat-lake/

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Big gator that

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Bunch of good eats there....Gotta BBQ one whole for me.