New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Texas State record Mule Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a picture on email of this big boy, what a hog, Ive never seen anything like him...
292-1/8" score...I can't post the picture but somebody out there should be able to...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Mofo!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s the one.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Smoker!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes sir... I had the opportunity to hold that rack and take a look at it. Truly an impressive muley buck. Congrats to Greg, he passed that deer for several years on a low fence ranch knowing he might disappear, but obviously it worked out very well for him in the end!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Monster buck.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Incredible buck. It is a whitetail cross though?

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incredible buck. It is a whitetail cross though?

Highly improbable Ann. Very few whitetail in Culberson county and those that are there are not very big. Crossing with a whitetail would actually result in the hybrid having smaller antlers in my opinion.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That buck's antlers does seem to posses a lot of whitetail characteristics however.

I actually thought the same thing Ann did when I opened the link and saw it for the first time.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
His Main Beams look like a Whitetail. Maybe a 300 inch Whitetail escaped from a High Fence Farm and bred does? Maybe one of his Fawns escaped?

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All big mule deer have a main beam much like a whitetail, but the points coming off that beam will fork in most cases...They will do a simple DNA test on this buck if allowed to do so and that will tell the tale..

This is a Mule Deer IMO and being non typical I can see where some might imagine a cross on any big muley. Also a cross bred whitetail/Mule deer will not have that dark horseshoe on his forehead, most cross bred Texas deer come out of the Sanderson area and they are rare indeed, even if it were a cross bred it would have to be from a farm deer, not from a wild deer considering the size.....but I know of no fenced monster farm whitetail ranches in that area,as the ranches tend to be 20,000 to a 100,000 acres and would tame billions to high fence, Those wild Texas white tail are very small in that area, and very close to some areas of Coues deer as I recall..Culberson county has produced these monster deer for many years, its a huge wild rough coutry on the New Mexico border on the West and NOrth, miles of sandhills and Sacawesti brush that grows horns and lies to the East and North..The last Texas record came out of the area North of Midland, Odessa, Pecos area, that buck is in the DPS office in Irean as I recall..Im pretty much going by memory and may need some correction, but basically correct I think. I hunted and lived with a good friend Alan Carraway whos dad was foreman on the Fryingpan? ranch that belonged to tom Lineberry and Evelyn Scarbery as a kid, and on rare occasion we would see a monster bucks that lived in the sandhills. I booked for a ranch that shot a 230 Mule deer some time ago in that same area, its big buck country, hard to hunt, but worth the effort....That's pretty close to home for me. You can take the boy out of Texas, but'cha can't take Texas out of the boy! old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an incredible buck, and Greg is really nice guy.

I was told, he passed on it last year when it was in the 230's.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been toying with the idea of a Texas Mule Deer Hunt. I think this just made up my mind. Wow....What a Buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic muley buck! Nice guy for sure. Looking at the antlers is probably the worst way to determine the difference between whitetails and mule deer. As Ray said, DNA, hair, tissue samples etc, as well as the tarsal gland is the protocol.

There aren't many whitetails in that area anyway, and the ones that are there are closer to the coues variety, Carmen Mtn whitetails than anything else, and there's no high fences out there that house whitetails for sure anywhere near that area.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am glad he waited until that buck was 6 1/2.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JG,
Has anyone done DNA tests on "Carmen Mt.White tail" I say this because in the 1930s Elba Adams, Ulyss Adams, my dad and some others hauled Mule deer to Arizona and returned with Coues Deer and dumped them in the big bend park as I recall..part of Roosevelts reconstruction plan to create jobs..Those deer bread well and herded into the Del Carmens across from the Big Bend Park..The adams boys Apache, Dough, David Preston and I used to go back in there and shoot both Mule Deer and Coues deer, referred to as flag tails by the locals..

Then some well known biologist ups and reanames those deer and the SCI went along with it..or so it looks to me..not that really care but it could be a scam IMO..

At any rate it would be interesting to know how Coues deer from Arizona becames Carmen Mt. White tail, not saying it ain't so, just questioning it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good question Ray, and I really have no idea. I'm far from and expert on that subject, but they sure look the same to me and I sure wouldn't be surprised if you are right about that.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Atkinson needs to write a book.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't spel ! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That buck looks like a Kaibab deer. Really nice massive but not terrifically wide.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Regarding your query, Carmen Mountain and Coues DNA studies, yes.

PDF download.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...&cshid=1581972168888

Here's a link to an article by Jim Heffelfinger that predates the genetic research:

https://ttha.com/article/coues...mens-cervid-cousins/

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law has a very nice mule buck from west texas that would make any colorado hunter happy.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote